WebRTC issue: Error 1007: ICE negotiation failed

Wesley Wright

Dec 9, 2014, 4:22:07 PM12/9/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
All of a sudden (I swear I didn't touch it -- it was like that when I found it), I'm getting this:

Detected the following WebRTC issue: Error 1007: ICE negotiation failed. Do you want to try Flash instead?

Firefox 34.05 BigBlueButton 0.9.0-beta. build 177

I tried bbb-conf -disablewebrtc followed by bbb-conf --eanblewebrtc followed by bbb-conf --clean . Worked for a day then same message again

Fred Dixon

Dec 9, 2014, 5:58:56 PM12/9/14
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Wesley,

Can you try

and let us know if you can reproduce the problem there.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

m movahedian

Dec 10, 2014, 6:28:03 AM12/10/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
hi

we have like this problem sometimes and get that error

regards

Chad Pilkey

Dec 10, 2014, 12:19:34 PM12/10/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
ICE negotiation failure means that a UDP connection couldn't be set up. There are a couple of different causes and they mostly lead to an improper configuration. The three most common causes are:
1. Both the client and server are under NAT
2. The server is behind a firewall that is rejecting UDP packets
3. The client is behind a firewall that is rejecting UDP packets

As a server administrator you can only really control the first two. For problem 1, if your server is behind NAT you need to forward UDP ports 16384 - 32768. For problem 2, you need to allow UDP packets through your firewall.

To test problem 3 have the same client connect to http://demo.bigbluebutton.org and try to join the audio. The reason we say to use this server is that we know it is properly configured and if the client still has issues then there's likely something going wrong on their side.

Chad

Wesley Wright

Dec 12, 2014, 3:08:24 PM12/12/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Works with demo server.

And of course,  cant reproduce problem with my server. Same client, no NAT, no changes to firewall. A mystery

Chad Pilkey

Dec 12, 2014, 3:41:12 PM12/12/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Have you made any changes to the specific UDP port numbers in Freeswitch? The next time it gives you a 1007 copy the browser log and paste it here. It's kind of a long shot, but maybe it's the specific port number that is the problem.

m movahedian

Dec 13, 2014, 10:19:27 PM12/13/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
hi

how we can  test server?

and how can forward UDP ports 16384 - 32768?

regards

Kay Bansal

Apr 1, 2015, 10:32:24 PM4/1/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chad,

We are still not able t connect to audio through WebRTC getting ICE negotiation failure 1007 message. I tried everything you said below and can confirm that point 1 and point 2 of what you said to rectify the situation was tried ( As a server administrator you can only really control the first two. For problem 1, if your server is behind NAT you need to forward UDP ports 16384 - 32768. For problem 2, you need to allow UDP packets through your firewall).....

I also tried connecting through http://demo.bigbluebutton.org and I CAN connect through webrtc, so not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

How do i paste the browser log here so that you could possibly tell me what I am doing worng?

Kay

HostBBB.com

Apr 2, 2015, 6:57:24 AM4/2/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Kay, can you login to your bbb server and see you can telnet to your external IP address/ from command line of server.

telnet  xx.xx.xx.xx 5066

I have seen a firewall block this and prevent webrtc from working.
The firewall needed to be changed to allow before webrtc worked.

Basically the server could not telnet to itself.   But everything else was fine.

It also showed up as bbb-conf --check would fail the server connection test, even though meetings worked except for webrtc.

regards,
Stephen

Sam Naef

Jun 4, 2015, 10:16:19 PM6/4/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, doug
Hi all,

We also have this Error 1007,

We have tried opening up all ports & the firewall completely but no luck.
Also we checked that the webRTC works in the bbb demo room from our computer

Has anyone got any other ideas to a possible solution?

Thanks!
Sam & Doug

Fred Dixon

Jun 5, 2015, 12:24:37 AM6/5/15
to BigBlueButton-dev, doug
Hi Sam and Doug,

It's a firewall issue.  If your computer can connect to demo.bigbluebutton.org without issue, but when you attempt to connect to your server via WebRTC audio and receive a 1007 error, it's very likely a firewall on your server.

> We have tried opening up all ports & the firewall completely but no luck.

Where is your server located?  Is it on a single IP address or do you have multiple network addresses (such as on a virtual host)?

Regards,... Fred

Sam Naef

Jun 7, 2015, 3:18:25 PM6/7/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, do...@netdotnet.net
Hi Fred,

Server is located in York (UK), and it's on a single IP address (we use Bytemark hosting).

We turned off our firewall but still get the error.. (sorry I worded that incorrectly in previous email - we opened all ports & stopped the firewall & tried the bbb demo which worked fine)

Do we need to be able to connect externally to port 5066?
- In the set up it said leave 5066 bound to localhost only. We assume that's deliberate as no remote host is needed for connection. Might be a red herring though..

Any ideas much appreciated!
Thanks,
Sam & Doug

Chad Pilkey

Jun 8, 2015, 1:05:38 PM6/8/15
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, do...@netdotnet.net
Freeswitch shouldn't be using 5066 on localhost and I can't find anywhere in the install document that says that is should be. By default the installation should assign your first Ethernet adapter's IP address to be used with the websocket (5066). If your server has multiple network address then the installation can pick the wrong one so you would have to manually change it. Another problem is that Freeswitch will use the websocket IP address as the only candidate for WebRTC media negotiation and if that address is private or not your public address then the media negotiation will never succeed. Usually this means that your server is behind NAT and if your client computers are also behind NAT then the call will fail.

You can verify this by opening the browser console in Chrome or Firefox and try and start the audio. After it fails look through the messages and find the return SDP (there should be two blocks with the text "a=candidate" and the second one should be from the server). It will look something like "a=candidate:5491618473 1 udp 659136 70.38.71.15 17572 typ host generation 0". If the IP address is 127.0.0.1 or starts with 10 or 192 it won't work.