BigBlueButton HTML5 Client (developer release) now available!

Fred Dixon

May 15, 2017, 5:35:58 PM5/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
(We suspect there are a few members in this mailing list that may be interested in this post :-).

We are pleased to announce the developer release of the BigBlueButton HTML5 client.

Inline image 3

While we are labeling this a 'developer release' (a beta release will follow when we finish all features), we want to release a working build to the BigBlueButton developer community so you could try it out, give us feedback, and, if you are interested, participate in the development itself.  To participate in development, you'll need to be experienced in creating JavaScript applications using React.

If you've been following our GitHub repository, you'll have seen a large number of checkins on the HTML5 client over the past months.  We've been steadily working towards this day where we could start getting others involved.

We have focused on implementing the all viewer capabilities in HTML5 client except two-way webcam (that will come in a later release).  Supporting the viewer capabilities will make it possible for students to participate remotely using a Android phone or tablet.  Android devices support WebRTC in the Chrome browser.  Currently, iOS devices do not support WebRTC in Safari and so, in a parallel project, we are working on an iOS client.

For an overview of the BigBlueButton HTML5 client (developer build) and it's capabilities, see the following video

To see a build of the HTML5 client running on multiple Android devices, see this video

To watch the presentation from the HTML5 developer team at the recent BigBlueButton Developers Summit X, see

The HTML5 client runs on BigBlueButton 1.1-RC (or later) server.  In other words, the BigBlueButton server supports connections from both BigBlueButton the Flash and HTML5 clients in the same session (see above videos for demo of this).  Supporting both clients provides the BigBlueButton community a smooth migration path over time to an increasingly capable HTML5 client.

For details on the current status of the HTML5 client (developer build) and the features planned for the first release, see

For instructions to the latest developer build of the HTML5 client on your BigBlueButton 1.1-RC (or later) server, see

To try out the current build of the HTML5 client, grab a web browser that supports WebRTC -- FireFox or Chrome on the desktop, Chrome on a Chromebook, or any recent Android device (phone or tablet) -- and visit

We have organized the landing page to make it easy log into the same session with either the HTML5 or Flash client and see how they work together.

Inline image 1

We look forward to getting your feedback on the above.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

abhay

May 16, 2017, 2:11:12 AM5/16/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Wow !  Congratulations to you Fred and the whole BBB team :)    I watched all the videos, and it certainly looks very promising. Unfortunately I still need to stick to 0.8 or 0.9 android client because of the two way audio/video streaming (still looking for some help there :( ).

Is there a tentative timeline on including Audio/Video in the HTML5 client ?

Thanks and best wishes,
Abhay

Fred Dixon

May 16, 2017, 8:26:04 AM5/16/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Abhay,

> Is there a tentative timeline on including Audio/Video in the HTML5 client ?

The HTML5 client already supports two-way audio via WebRTC (as shown in the videos).

On the server, FreeSWITCH takes care of mixing and broadcasting the incoming/outgoing WebRTC audio streams for both the HTML5 client and Flash client.  The Flash client can also send audio via RTMP if the user's browser does not support WebRTC.  We think FreeSWITCH is an amazing piece of open source software.  It also takes care of recording the audio in the conference for later processing into a playback file by the BigBlueButton server.

We are now working on a way to broadcast a WebRTC video stream of the presenter's desktop sharing to the HTML5 client.  This is a restricted use-case for video: there is only one broadcaster (the presenter) and everyone else receives the stream.  There are many open source options for broadcasting a video stream via WebRTC, including FreeSWITCH, Kurento, Jitsi, and MediaSoup.  We'll post an update when we have something in place for everyone to try out.

After that, the HTML5 client will move to beta phase (for us, beta means that all features are implemented and we can't find any more bugs).

We definitely want to support two-way webcams in the HTML5 client for you Abhay, and we feel the best way to get there is by implementing the other viewer capabilities first, delivering a solid release of the HTML5 client to the community (which we think will benefit many), and building upon it.

Regards,... Fred

Faisal

May 17, 2017, 9:39:23 AM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
 Great news ! I was waiting for this ! Congratulations to the Team !

Fred, I set this up in two environments as follows:

1. Upgraded 1.1beta and installed html5 client as per BBB documentation. However when I join a meeting I get stuck on the AudioTest dialog. If I click the next button, not moving forward,,wizard just get refreshed.

2. Setup a new server and installed fresh copy of 1.1 and then installed html5. It was better than the first one, I could join the meeting, however when I try to login from android mobile using html5, it fails with the following error: "getUsermedia failed. Only secure origins are allowed". I have to admit I haven't setup SSL or FQDN, but I do have an external public IP and that's what I am using.

Faisal

Fred Dixon

May 17, 2017, 11:35:58 AM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Faisal,

> however when I try to login from android mobile using html5, it fails with the following error: "getUsermedia failed. Only secure origins are allowed". I have to admit I haven't setup SSL or FQDN, but I do have an external public IP and that's what I am using.

You need to have SSL to use WebRTC with Chrome.  Try it with FireFox (which currently doesn't required SSL to use WebRTC) and see if you can join the audio on your server.

Regards,.. Fred

Luis Rosario

May 17, 2017, 5:11:56 PM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
How about one way video presenter ---> html 5 client?

Fred Dixon

May 17, 2017, 5:15:31 PM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Luis,

The only use case for one-way video we're working on right now is desktop sharing.  Content > Webcams.  In other words, if your on your mobile device, you can miss seeing the presenter's face, but you can't miss seeing their desktop if they are describing something to the class.

As described in the sections First Release/Future Release

we're focusing on the content first.  The one way/two way webcams will follow the implementation of the desktop sharing.

Regards,.. Fred

Luis Rosario

May 17, 2017, 7:00:07 PM5/17/17
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I understand. Our instruction is primarily video driven, I suppose we are not a apart of the norm.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BigBlueButton-dev" group.

Fred Dixon

May 17, 2017, 7:01:59 PM5/17/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Luis,

We'll definitely be implementing webcam sharing in the HTML5 client, but we can cover a large segment of the use cases by getting in every other function of the viewers in place first, delivering it, and then building on top of it.

Regards,... Fred

abhay

May 18, 2017, 6:48:18 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev

Oh yes, Fred. There's audio. Sorry I meant the video ( camera ) streaming capabilities. As per this post of yours, looks like it is in plan, but after the desktop sharing feature . Is there any way, any *basic* or pre-developer preview codebase that you can share for building this video streaming feature ?

Thanks
Abhay
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bigbluebutton-...@googlegroups.com.

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 8:25:15 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Abhay,

> Is there any way, any *basic* or pre-developer preview codebase that you can share for building this video streaming feature ?

Are you a developer or looking for step-by-step instructions?  Unless you have experience building WebRTC-based streaming applications and can contribute to the development (if you are, please e-mail me directly and we welcome your help).

Regards,... Fred

bendark

May 18, 2017, 8:34:05 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
hi @ all

follow this instructions to install htlm5 client with html5 video (webcam) with kurento  but Note: This is still in development

http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/labs/html5-video.html

just one question , do you have the intention to stream webrtc video (webcam) inside flash client?

regards

bendark

May 18, 2017, 8:37:23 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 8:39:16 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi bendark,

> just one question , do you have the intention to stream webrtc video (webcam) inside flash client?

Not possible as Flash does not have support for WebRTC audio/video, but a component on the BigBlueButton server -- such as FreeSWITCH or Kurento -- could covert the incoming WebRTC video into a h.264 video stream and send it to red5 for streaming to the Flash client.

Supporting video in the HTML5 client is under active development.  You can see initial work on the support for streaming video in HTML5 in this pull request

There's work ahead for us.  The first goal is to get the presenter's desktop sharing stream into the Flash and HTML5 clients.  Two way sharing of webcams will follow.  See

Regards,... Fred

bendark

May 18, 2017, 8:59:19 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev

thanks fred

i thought its possible to send webrtc audio directly from freeswitch or kurento to flash client.
and you mean we must send webrtc video from freeswitch or kurento first to red5 and red5 send it to flash client.
also it s no possible to send webrtc audio and video directly from kurento or freeswitch to flash client?

best regards

Hi bendark,

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:34 AM, 'bendark' via BigBlueButton-dev <bigblueb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
hi @ all

follow this instructions to install htlm5 client with html5 video (webcam) with kurento  but Note: This is still in development

http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/labs/html5-video.html

just one question , do you have the intention to stream webrtc video (webcam) inside flash client?

regards

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 9:04:38 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Bendark,

i thought its possible to send webrtc audio directly from freeswitch or kurento to flash client.

Not as a WebRTC stream.  FireFox and Chrome, for example, support WebRTC and send/receive WebRTC audio/video streams, but those capabilities are built into the browser itself.

Flash doesn't have any knowledge of how to encode/decode WebRTC streams.  You need to first convert the RTP stream from a WebRTC connection into an RTMP stream (using a tool such as ffmpeg) and stream it to red5 for broadcast to the Flash client.

Regards,.. Fred

bendark

May 18, 2017, 9:32:35 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
thanks

i thought you are sending webrtc audio directly from freeswitch to firefox and chrome web browser, but you are sending first the rtp stream first to ffmpeg for converting to rtmp and than send it back to firefox and chrome browser. i thought ffmpeg is only for recording conversion.

best regards

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 9:58:07 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Bendark,

> i thought you are sending webrtc audio directly from freeswitch to firefox and chrome web browser, but you are sending first the rtp stream first to ffmpeg for converting to rtmp and than send it back to firefox and chrome browser. i thought ffmpeg is only for recording conversion.

That's the general strategy for the first step of sending the presenter's desktop sharing stream to both Flash and HTML5 clients.  This is a restricted use case (it's not two-way video), so it's a step towards implementing two-way video.

Regards,.. Fred

bendark

May 18, 2017, 10:20:12 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
hi fred,

and in future you will add to VideoconfModule Module -----> useWebRTCIfAvailable="true"

        <module name="VideoconfModule" url="https://XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX595"
             useWebRTCIfAvailable="true"

and asking users to chose between flash video or webtc video ?

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 10:24:44 AM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Bendark,

It isn't our plan to ask the users any questions; rather, just make it work when they share their webcam from either the Flash or HTML5 client.

Regards,... Fred

Chad Pilkey

May 18, 2017, 12:24:36 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Bendark,

You're getting the audio and video paths confused I think.

WebRTC audio can go directly to FreeSWITCH and then it's mixed and FreeSWITCH has the option of outputting in multiple different forms. If you join with WebRTC audio you get WebRTC audio back and it's played in an <audio> tag. There's no interaction with the Flash client code at all when sending and receiving the WebRTC audio streams because the audio can just be playing in the background of the page.

For video you have to actually be able to see it so it needs to be in the actual Flash client which limits us to working with protocols that the Flash plugin understands. For video the best protocol is RTMP. We use red5 to receive our RTMP video streams and re-stream them out to all of the viewers. If you're in the HTML5 client though it can't play RTMP it needs RTP (basically a WebRTC stream) and red5 doesn't have the ability to send out WebRTC streams. The work that we are in the progress of doing is to try and find a good way to take the RTMP stream and turn it into an RTP stream (and the reverse if you want two way video). It has to be able to do it efficiently (no a huge CPU hog), with minimal delay (can't take 30 seconds to do the conversion), and it has to be stable (both in uptime and as a project). Once you've even found a project that fits all of those needs you then to embed it into the product so that it just works which can take some time. There's no magic switch to flip when trying to do video and it's a lot more data to deal with than audio.

bendark

May 18, 2017, 2:05:01 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev

hi fred and chad,

thank you very much for the explanation , also thanks for developing Bigbluebutton.

best regards
Message has been deleted

jasonh...@gmail.com

May 18, 2017, 3:39:58 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev

Congrats on the great work here! Is iOS support something being contemplated? I watched a video a while back that suggested that might be difficult architecturally, if memory serves.

cheers,

Jason

Chad Pilkey

May 18, 2017, 4:10:27 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
We're definitely thinking about iOS. In North America iOS has a significant market share so we have to do something for them. There's a couple of options like native, Adobe AIR, Cordova/PhoneGap, custom web view. Each has their own pros and cons. We need a solution that isn't difficult to develop or maintain and that meets the functionality requirements. The current plan is to go with Adobe AIR, but we're always watching the new developments in iOS. (It would be real nice to have WebRTC in Safari)

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 4:18:40 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Guys,

To echo Chad, it would be great if iOS supported WebRTC in Safari, but we're not holding our breath.  As stated earlier, we're looking into options for delivering an iOS client for BigBlueButton as well in a separate project.

> Android devices support WebRTC in the Chrome browser.  Currently, iOS devices do not support WebRTC in Safari and so, in a parallel project, we are working on an iOS client.

Still, if Apple does support WebRTC on Safari mobile, that-would-be-very-nice.  On a positive note, the work to support WebRTC inWebKit (the rendering engine for Safair) is underway.  See

Regards,... Fred

connor...@ngc.com

May 18, 2017, 9:47:32 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Have been following BBB for the past few months now and am eager to begin using the new version in our dev environment. One thing I cannot locate, however... what is the web address for the HTML5 API? I know the current flash version web address is http:<server>/bigbluebutton/api

Any info on the HTML5 API?

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 5:35:58 PM UTC-4, Fred Dixon wrote:
(We suspect there are a few members in this mailing list that may be interested in this post :-).

We are pleased to announce the developer release of the BigBlueButton HTML5 client.

Regards,... Fred

connor...@ngc.com

May 18, 2017, 10:00:30 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Going to tag on another question here - as I think this is my main problem... is there a different server "address" for using the HTML5 client versus the flash client? (https:<server>/bigbluebutton/)

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 11:23:44 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Connor,

There actually is no HTML5 API.  The BigBlueButton HTML5 client interacts with the BigBlueButton server, and you use the BigBlueButton API (just as before).  This means all the existing integrations work as before.  To create a join URL that loads the HTML5 client, add '&redirect=false' to the URL, see

Once you install the HTML5 client, the URL check call http://<hostname>/check will exist, which will cause the BigBlueButton.html page to give the user an option to join with the HTML5 client if it's unable to load the Flash client (such as when joining from an Android client).

It's our intent in the future to add more intelligence to the page so users don't have to click to load the HTML5 client if there is no Flash runtime.

Also, some of the API calls don't apply to the HTML5 client, such as getDefaultConfigXML and setConfigXML as the HTML5 client doesn't use the same config.xml file as the Flash client.

Overall, we wanted to deliver the HTML5 client in a way that didn't require you to change the existing integrations.

Regards,... Fred

connor...@ngc.com

May 18, 2017, 11:40:55 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thanks for the info Fred - this helps a lot.

I also forgot to mention that I am attempting to incorporate the new version of BBB with Moodle 3.2. It is here where I am unable to connect to a BBB session with the HTML5 client. Is the integration of HTML5 client feature with Moodle available yet?

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:47 PM, <connor...@ngc.com> wrote:
Have been following BBB for the past few months now and am eager to begin using the new version in our dev environment. One thing I cannot locate, however... what is the web address for the HTML5 API? I know the current flash version web address is http:<server>/bigbluebutton/api

Any info on the HTML5 API?

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 5:35:58 PM UTC-4, Fred Dixon wrote:
(We suspect there are a few members in this mailing list that may be interested in this post :-).

We are pleased to announce the developer release of the BigBlueButton HTML5 client.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Fred Dixon

May 18, 2017, 11:45:48 PM5/18/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Connor,

If the user's browser has the Flash runtime, the current client will load as normal.

If the user's browser does not have the Flash runtime, you'll see option to install Flash and a button to load the HTML5 client instead.  Over time, we'll do this automatically, but there is more logic to add.  For example, loading the HTML5 client on iOS isn't going to work as iOS does not (yet) support WebRTC.

If you modify the join URL generated by the Moodle plugin to include '&redirect=false', the URL will load the HTML5 client directly.

As stated earlier, the HTML5 client requires that the browser support WebRTC to be able to send/receive audio.  On the desktop, we recommend FireFox or Chrome.  On a ChromeBook, we recommend Chrome.  And on an Android device (phone or tablet), we recommend Chrome.

Regards,... Fred

connor...@ngc.com

May 19, 2017, 12:12:08 AM5/19/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
God it - thanks for the clarification on that. I will give that a whirl tomorrow and see what the results are.

Looking forward to all this new development you all are tackling. Truly has been an outstanding product for us so far.

Best,
Connor

rahul chowdhary

Jun 6, 2017, 11:03:16 AM6/6/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

I am a big fan of bbb. I recently installed HTML5 client and tested it with demo api, every thing was working great. Then i decided to use it along with moodle so i added '&redirect=false' to join URL but HTML5 client was not launched instead i receive an XML response on the screen.

XML Response :-
<response>
 <returncode>SUCCESS</returncode>
 <messageKey>successfullyJoined</messageKey>
 <message>You have joined successfully.</message>
 <meeting_id>
063c5dc02784491476ad06c445911d16c20ba64b-1496759730656
 </meeting_id>
 <user_id>rqrwjgo75tvy</user_id>
 <auth_token>d4pwtrkvzkme</auth_token>
</response>

URL :-
bigbluebutton/api/join?meetingID=6689b9a7708fa7f645f3472b005a2f059a684686-4-1&fullName=Super+Admin&redirect=false&password=r%28td%23U%24D%2Bp5G&logoutURL=http%3A%2F%2Flocalhost%2F~rahul%2Fcampus2%2Fmod%2Flive%2Fbbb_view.php%3Faction%3Dlogout%26id%3D8%26bn%3D1&checksum=aa8a4427f6a85f78027b725b1d6c17f9048426b9

Please point what i am doing wrong.

Chad Pilkey

Jun 6, 2017, 1:47:09 PM6/6/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
You have to do more than just stop the redirect. Check out the HTML5 demo for an example of how to launch the client, https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/blob/master/bbb-api-demo/src/main/webapp/demoHTML5.jsp#L108-L126

rahul chowdhary

Jun 6, 2017, 2:01:09 PM6/6/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thanks Chad,

I will work it and will share my findings.