Automatic Level Controller [ compression as per the band width ]

Rakesh PD

Jul 11, 2014, 8:17:24 AM7/11/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Fred,
          its a suggestion, if we implemented bandwidth based compression in the bigblue button,
          All users can continue the conference with out any trouble.

Fred Dixon

Jul 12, 2014, 7:05:47 AM7/12/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
I doubt think this will work ... There are a variety of reasons a user would disconnect, and many of the are due to network reliability.

Skype has good compression, but Skype too would disconnect a user.

What Skype will do is attempt to reconnect the user.

If you could implement reliable automatic reconnecting in bigbluebutton, that would improve the experience for some cases.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Walter Tak

Jul 14, 2014, 8:54:42 PM7/14/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Audio and Video is already compressed. You can't recompress that (for better results). Only chat would be useful but the benefits are very limited. For 1 frame of a webcam you can write many pages of chat.

Automatic intelligent reconnecting though is useful.