bbb-conf --check is nagging me, possible docs error?

vn...@yandex.com

Aug 14, 2017, 9:18:48 PM8/14/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
** Potential problems described below **
# Warning: API URL IPs do not match host:
#
#                                IP from ifconfig: 45.77.49.243
#  /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/demo/bbb_api_conf.jsp: bbb.example.org

My server name is correct.  The above is not real..

Open the install doc page, and search for bbb_api_conf.jsp.

I show three matches.

1)
"/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/demo/bbb_api_conf.jsp (API demos)
  url: 10.0.3.192

2)

/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/demo/bbb_api_conf.jsp (API demos)

3)

If you have installed the API demos in step 4, edit /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/demo/bbb_api_conf.jspand change the value of BigBlueButtonURL use HTTPS.

// This is the URL for the BigBlueButton server
String BigBlueButtonURL = "https://bigbluebutton.example.com/bigbluebutton/";

So what do I want for the url value?  I am using https, and I do not think I can get a free cert for a bare IP address.

I can connect to bbb and use it as usual.  Is bbb-conf being overly picky here?  I think with http, using the raw address would be OK, but for httpS?

Fred Dixon

Aug 15, 2017, 7:45:05 AM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
An administrator may setup their BigBlueButton server using IP address or hostname, which is why the documentation shows both examples.

Part of the results for bbb-conf is to compare the IP address returned from ifconfig with the current setting of the BigBlueButton servers IP address/hostname.

They may (and in most cases) do not match because one is an IP address and the other is a hostname.

They do provide good information for helping others.  If someone posts their output for `sudo bbb-conf --check` and we see the IP address is an internal address, it's a good bet the administrator is installing BigBlueButton on a server that is behind NAT.

Also, the output for `sudo bbb-conf --check` is titled "** Potential Problems **" to re-enforce that the administrator has to interpret the results.

We're always improving the output for each release.  Over the years we've extended the checks in `sudo bbb-conf --check` to detect configuration issues that administrators have encountered and shared on these forums.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

vn...@yandex.com

Aug 15, 2017, 10:17:25 PM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
OK.  Thx.  I will ignore it, as things seem to work.