Mute all users by default

DIARRA Sega Oumar

Jan 13, 2017, 11:32:28 AM1/13/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi all,

Is there a way to mute all users by default in BBB. Example: user join a session pass the echo test then join the audio with micro muted.

Best regards...

Fred Dixon

Jan 13, 2017, 11:54:15 AM1/13/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Diarra,

Any moderator can use the Lock Settings to prevent all viewers from sharing their microphone.

Inline image 1

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

DIARRA Sega Oumar

Jan 13, 2017, 11:57:10 AM1/13/17
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi fred ,

Is it possible programmatically?

Fred Dixon

Jan 13, 2017, 12:13:07 PM1/13/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Diarra,

We don't have the ability to do this (yet) through the BigBlueButton API.  Opened an enhancement request for this

For informaiton on how we prioritize enhancements for each release, see

Regards,... Fred

Chad Pilkey

Jan 13, 2017, 1:16:49 PM1/13/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
I think you guys are talking about two different things. The two ways to limit audio access are locking the audio, and muting all users from the settings button.

When audio is locked any new viewers can only join "listen only" and moderators are unaffected. This can be set through the lock UI as shown by Fred's image or initial settings can be put into config.xml and those will be used at the start. It could be set programmatically at start by using the custom config.xml option.

The second option of muting users when they join audio can also be turned on from the Settings button in the Users Window. Turning that on will either mute all users or mute all except presenter (both new and old users). There's no way to turn this option on programmatically and can only be done in the client.