Concurrent Users Per Server

Kirk Pathumanun

Apr 30, 2017, 4:30:22 AM4/30/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello,

Quick question regarding maximum concurrent user per server. At present my hardware configurations has parameters as following with fresh BBB installation on the 1U server with no virtualization

Hardware specs Xeon i7 8 cores with 8gb Ram and 2TB

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from Nettree IDC (202.162.78.20)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by CAT Telecom (Bangkok) [1.79 km]: 1.123 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 824.97 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 719.50 Mbit/s

I plan to scale the production server to provide services of 1000 concurrent users  in the near future so I would like to how many cluster servers I would need assuming they all hosted in one IDC.

Thank You.

Fred Dixon

Apr 30, 2017, 7:45:58 AM4/30/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Kirk,

While you can't get 1000 users in a single meeting -- BigBlueButton is not a webinar application, you can get 50 users in a session.  The recommendation of 50 is not hard-coded anywhere and it's a conservative number.  For more information on determining how many users (across multiple meetings) you can get on a server, see

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Kirk Pathumanun

Apr 30, 2017, 9:40:50 AM4/30/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello Fred,

Thank you for the insight but I do apologized for the miscommunication. When I meant 1000 concurrent users it was more like 3 users per meeting room but scale out to 300 meeting rooms running simultaneously which would be approximately a thousand. I was looking like cluster of servers so I would like a rough implementation on how to proceed this on the hardware setup. For example can I use 10 identical servers with listed specs to implement such task to handle 1000 users across the platform with no more than 4 users per meeting room. Thank you

Regards,

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 4:30 AM, Kirk Pathumanun <ki...@edknovate.com> wrote:
[...]

Fred Dixon

May 6, 2017, 6:12:37 AM5/6/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Kirk,

Understood.  The best way to determine how many users a given user can support for given use cases is to try running a decent number of users on a server and watch the CPU and bandwidth.  There are no hard coded limits in BigBlueButton, such as X users on a server or Y users in a session.  In a similar manner, there are no hard-coded limits on the number of webcams you can share in a meeting.

Regards,.. Fred