Can't access bbb server from external network

Muhammad Rashid Ansari

Jul 21, 2014, 2:20:09 AM7/21/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have setup bbb on my internal server which is behind a firewall. Everything is running ok but when i try to access my server from external/public network i cant access my bbb server and got "welcome to nginx" message. means i m unable to access bbb application.

For instance, my internal ip of bbb server is 100.10.1.24 and external ip for accessing this server with is 111.68.107.98:8012

I searched previous post but did'nt get solution. Pl help how can i setup my bbb to access this server from external ip 111.68.107.98:8012

I add the following entry in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default

server {
listen   8012;
server_name  localhost;

location / {
root   /var/www/bigbluebutton-default;
index  index.html index.htm;
}
}

After that my browser showed bbb default landing page but it is not working further and when i joined meeting it goes to the Not found page.

Inline images 2

Pl help what to do to use my server from public network.

Regards,
Rashid Ansari

Fred Dixon

Jul 21, 2014, 6:11:13 AM7/21/14
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Muhammad,

In the future, please post such questions to bigbluebutton-setup, see

When running BigBlueButton behind a firewall, to setup access from the external network, see

Also, we recommend running BigBlueButton on port 80 (not 8012).  For reasons why, see

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Muhammad Rashid Ansari

Jul 22, 2014, 3:42:34 AM7/22/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Yes Fred, i already applied for registration in this group.

But in our case we cannot use external host name due to some restriction we want to use IP address to resolve firewall port forwading. Is there any way to use external IP address to access bigbluebutton instead of giving external host name.

Regards,
Muhammad Rashid

Fred Dixon

Jul 22, 2014, 6:36:50 AM7/22/14
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Muhammand,

Yes Fred, i already applied for registration in this group.

Good -- make sure you answer the test question; otherwise, we won't be able to distinguish you registration from that of a bot.

> But in our case we cannot use external host name due to some restriction we want to use IP address to resolve firewall port forwading.

You need to use the hostname when running BigBlueButton behind a firewall.

Regards,... Fred