Thumbnail conversion are slow

clicl...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2017, 8:50:01 AM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi, I try to upload in a conference, but the conversion of the thumbnails is slow. I'd like to know what could be wrong.

Fred Dixon

Aug 15, 2017, 9:14:07 AM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi,

Are you testing this with your own BigBlueButton server or one of our public test servers.  Can you try it with

and let us know if it's any different.  Also, there is logic in the slide conversions that if a particular slide has a lot of high-res images, or a high-res background image for each slide, it will be first converted to an image.

Try replacing the master slide with a solid colour (not gradient) and let us know if the conversion is any faster.

Regards,... Fred

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 9:50 AM, <clicl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I try to upload in a conference, but the conversion of the thumbnails is slow. I'd like to know what could be wrong.

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Pedro Custódio

Aug 15, 2017, 9:22:47 AM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
I have my own BigBlueButton server, but I will try a test in https://demo.bigbluebutton.org/ with same slide. so I'll return with the feedaback.

Thanks for answerng me

Em terça-feira, 15 de agosto de 2017 10:14:07 UTC-3, Fred Dixon escreveu:
Hi,

Are you testing this with your own BigBlueButton server or one of our public test servers.  Can you try it with

and let us know if it's any different.  Also, there is logic in the slide conversions that if a particular slide has a lot of high-res images, or a high-res background image for each slide, it will be first converted to an image.

Try replacing the master slide with a solid colour (not gradient) and let us know if the conversion is any faster.

Regards,... Fred
On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 9:50 AM, <clicl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I try to upload in a conference, but the conversion of the thumbnails is slow. I'd like to know what could be wrong.

Pedro Custódio

Aug 15, 2017, 9:24:31 AM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Slides*

Pedro Custódio

Aug 15, 2017, 10:02:05 AM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
I tried it with https://demo.bigbluebutton.org/ and was faster than my own server.

I've set up the s3 bucket on my own server, and I think that's why the thumbnail conversion is slow, can you tell if there's ever been a problem with this? I did not find anything on the web, and I do not know very well how to solve.

Thanks.

Em terça-feira, 15 de agosto de 2017 10:14:07 UTC-3, Fred Dixon escreveu:
Hi,

Are you testing this with your own BigBlueButton server or one of our public test servers.  Can you try it with

and let us know if it's any different.  Also, there is logic in the slide conversions that if a particular slide has a lot of high-res images, or a high-res background image for each slide, it will be first converted to an image.

Try replacing the master slide with a solid colour (not gradient) and let us know if the conversion is any faster.

Regards,... Fred
On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 9:50 AM, <clicl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I try to upload in a conference, but the conversion of the thumbnails is slow. I'd like to know what could be wrong.

Fred Dixon

Aug 15, 2017, 10:41:15 AM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Pedro,

> I've set up the s3 bucket on my own server, and I think that's why the thumbnail conversion is slow, can you tell if there's ever been a problem with this?

We're not aware of any issues  -- the demo server is using the default slide conversion.   What code are you using for the s3 storage ... is it this?

Regards,... Fred

Pedro Custódio

Aug 15, 2017, 2:36:23 PM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
No, I don't used this code, I mounted s3 storage with nfs3 in my server and I created symbolics links look this:

drwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat7 tomcat7       0 Jun  8 14:37 bigbluebutton
drwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat7 tomcat7       0 May 23 15:43 blank
drwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat7 tomcat7       0 May 23 15:33 configs
-rwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat7 tomcat7 1787121 Jun  7 18:29 conhecendo-o-git.pdf
drwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat7 tomcat7       0 May 23 15:42 playback
drwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat7 tomcat7       0 Jun  7 13:38 published
drwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat7 tomcat7       0 May 23 15:42 recording
drwxrwxrwx 1 red5    red5          0 May 23 16:48 screenshare
drwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat7 tomcat7       0 Jun  7 18:12 unpublished

Now, how do I set up this code in my server, I use BigBlueButton 1.1, there are any documentation about this integration with s3 storage?

Fred Dixon

Aug 15, 2017, 3:01:20 PM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Pedro,

>  I mounted s3 storage with nfs3 in my server and I created symbolics links look this:

OK, we've not tried this ourselves, so we don't have any experience on the impact.

We've not merged this into the core yet, and it's on the 2.0-dev branch.  Though you had tried to port it into a 1.1 server.  If you want to try, here are the steps to setup a development environment

You will likely see the above pull request incorporated at some point in the future.

Regards,... Fred

Pedro Custódio

Aug 15, 2017, 3:25:17 PM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Ok Fred, I will try setup this feature.

Thanks for answering me.

Regards..
Pedro Custódio

Chad Pilkey

Aug 15, 2017, 3:33:00 PM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
If you moved /var/bigbluebutton to S3 I could see it causing issues because active files are stored in /var/bigbluebutton. You would really only want your recordings moved to S3 because once they are finished processing they won't get modified again. If you just moved recordings you would only need /var/bigbluebutton/[playback|published|unpublished] in S3 I think.

Pedro Custódio

Aug 15, 2017, 3:50:20 PM8/15/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Chad,

My main object is move the recording to bucket s3, you think that if move it only [playback + published + unpuvblished] to bucket s3 through of the a symbolics links, can I get succes?

Chad Pilkey

Aug 16, 2017, 1:12:58 PM8/16/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
I believe those three directories are the only locations where fully processed recordings are stored. I haven't tried to use S3 myself so I don't know if it would work for sure, but I think it will work.

Pedro Custódio

Aug 17, 2017, 7:12:45 AM8/17/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
Ok, I will try, if I not get succes, I will try setup development environmnet to work with this feature https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/pull/3914

Regards.. Pedro

Pedro Custódio

Aug 19, 2017, 3:18:43 PM8/19/17
to BigBlueButton-dev
I mounted one bucket s3 in var/bigbluebutton/recording/publish/presentation and worked for me, now I have the recordings in my s3.

The thumbnail conversion are fast also.

Thanks all answering