Feedback on Setup

john....@xanesti.com

Aug 25, 2016, 10:55:16 PM8/25/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
I successfully set up BBB recently after encountering an odd outcome...
I sh
I am running Microsoft Hyper V in Windows 10 Pro.  I created a blank virtual disk, downloaded the Ubuntu x64 ISO file and assigned by virtual DVD to it.  Booted up and installed Ubuntu just fine.  But what I was doing here which I don't think the docs envision is at certain points I shut down the VM to take a snapshot.  Those points were as follows:

1. After Ubuntu successfully installed.  I used "john" as my initial account.

2. After adjusting the network interfaces to run on a static IP on my network.  With the client setup, docs might reflect that changing HOST to the IP address assumes a static IP, not on leased out via DHCP.

3. After completing the pre-install steps in the docs.

4. After completing the BBB install without options.

5. After completing the optional installs (e.g. the API)

6. After forking and cloning the github repo.

7. After completing the client install successfully.

Here is the odd thing I noticed.  Once I got to the "Production Environment" excursus in the docs, I shut down and took snapshot #6.  When I restarted Ubuntu and tried to go to the /dev folder I got all kinds of weird behavior.  I tried pushing through it to install the client, but would get permissions errors on calls that did not use sudo.  I used sudo anyway (I know, not supposed to), and got to the point of building locales.  That would fail, again, either with permissions errors, or a full Java stack trace if I tried it with sudo.

After a couple reversions back to my latest good snapshot, I happened to open Nautilus and saw that my bigbluebutton folder had a lock icon.  Right clicked it, selected Properties and the Permissions tab to discover it was owned by "root" rather than "john".  I did a little research and did the following: sudo chown john /dev/bigbluebutton -R.  (The -R is for recursive so all subfolders and files are changed as well).  The lock went away from the icon and I proceeded on to successfully set up the client.

The only other thing I would mention is installing the flash plugin does not appear to be mentioned in the docs.  Pretty easy to figure that one out on my own, though.

John

john....@xanesti.com

Aug 25, 2016, 11:02:28 PM8/25/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Sorry, I think I should have put this on the Setup board... Feel free to delete this topic; I'll move it over.