Updated FreeSWITCH package coming

Fred Dixon

Jun 28, 2016, 1:50:40 PM6/28/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
When Chrome 52 is released (in a few weeks), it will switch to using ECDSA keys in the audio connection between the browser and FreeSWITCH server.

In order for FreeSWITCH to correctly handle these ECDSA keys (and let the user connect on audio using Chrome 52 with WebRTC), FreeSWITCH has to be built using openssl 1.0.2 or later. However, the version of openssl in the standard Ubuntu 14.04 install its not recent enough.

To solve this issue, we are testing an updated FreeSWITCH (1.4.26) package for BigBlueButton 1.0 which uses a parallel-installable copy of libssl from a PPA. Other applications will continue to use the standard Ubuntu release of openssl, while FreeSWITCH will be using a newer version.

We’ll be updating (and making the updated package for FreeSWITCH) available before the end of this week.

As a preview, the steps to upgrade will be

1. Add the PPA that provides the libssl 1.0.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit.

   sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ondrej/php

2. Update BigBlueButton according to the existing steps

Look for a follow-up post when the upgrade is available.

--
BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

jossef

Jun 28, 2016, 4:13:23 PM6/28/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred
will it be possible to update only FreeSWITCH package to a BigBlueButton 0.9 server, without having to update the server to BigBlueButton 1.0 ?

בתאריך יום שלישי, 28 ביוני 2016 בשעה 20:50:40 UTC+3, מאת Fred Dixon:

Fred Dixon

Jun 28, 2016, 5:38:07 PM6/28/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Jossef,

> will it be possible to update only FreeSWITCH package to a BigBlueButton 0.9 server,

Unfortunately not -- it's enough for us to make sure the latest release is tested and stable.   We're not planning on back porting this fix to older releases.

Regards,.. Fred

Fred Dixon

Jun 30, 2016, 2:11:20 PM6/30/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Everyone,

We've pushed an update to the FreeSWITCH packages to support ECDSA keys.  For instructions on upgrading your BigBlueButton 1.0 servers (and upgrading 0.9 to 1.0), see

Regards,.. Fred

Devin Yang

Jul 3, 2016, 12:49:43 AM7/3/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,
It seems like there are some typo on the install.html#upgrading-bigbluebutton-0910.

If you only see libssl1.0.0, then do the following

$ sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ondrej/php
$ sudo add-apt update
$ sudo add-apt install libssl1.0.2
It should be apt-get instead of add-apt.

Fred Dixon於 2016年7月1日星期五 UTC+8上午2時11分20秒寫道:

Fred Dixon

Jul 3, 2016, 8:56:35 AM7/3/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Devin,

Fixed! It now properly reads

$ sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ondrej/php
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.2

Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,.. Fred

Calvin Walton

Jul 21, 2016, 2:31:07 PM7/21/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Now that Chrome 52 is out, I hope you've all been updating your BigBlueButton!

One thing to note: During the bbb-freeswitch package update, one of the https related settings is not preserved.

If you are using BigBlueButton with https, make sure that you edit the file /opt/freeswitch/conf/sip_profiles/external.xml and restore the line:

<param name="wss-binding" value=":7443"/>

See http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/install/install.html#configure-freeswitch--webrtc for details.

Михаил Михайлович

Sep 27, 2016, 1:18:27 PM9/27/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thx guys. It`s all ok, Chrome works again.