Community update on 0.9.0-dev: Monday, August 4, at 11am EDT

Fred Dixon

Jul 31, 2014, 5:38:52 PM7/31/14
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi everyone,

After nine months of development, we getting close to releasing 0.9.0-dev -- which means that it's stable enough for other developers to start building and testing upon.

We expect most would like to get a build of 0.9.0-dev sooner than later.

It's always our intent to increase the frequency of our release cycle, but not at the expense of quality.  Therefore, to release earlier, we decided to move two features to a later release.

  Polling Module (see 831)
  Closed Captioning (see 1776)

The will allow us to focus on finishing and releasing 0.9.0 with

  Start/Stop button (see 1037)
  Improved audio setup (see 1699)
  WebRTC Audio (see 1544)
  Listen Only Audio (see 353)
  Ability to disable features for viewers (see 1702)
  Installation on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit (see 1275)

Over the next few days, you'll see updates to the master branch for BigBlueButton on GitHub as we merge in the development branch (merge-polling-with-master).

To give everyone an detailed update on the 0.9.0 and the release itself, we're holding a community call on

  Monday, August 4, at 11am EDT

Everyone is welcome to join and get the updates.  You can participate using the following login

  password: welcome

This login will become active on the morning of the 4th.  We'll make a recording of the session available after the call.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

HostBBB.com

Aug 4, 2014, 11:01:27 AM8/4/14
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Just tried to log in with password no luck, the meeting in pull down has 10am?

Fred Dixon

Aug 4, 2014, 1:02:57 PM8/4/14
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Everyone,

My apologies!  I'm currently travelling at the moment (it's a holiday for us today) and was unable to host the call.

We'll reschedule the call to

  Monday, August 11, at 3PM EDT (GMT-5).

We've already updated the room at http://summit.bigbluebutton.org/.

Looking forward to giving everyone an update on our progress next Monday!

Regards,... Fred

Fred Dixon

Aug 11, 2014, 9:42:01 AM8/11/14
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Everyone,

Just a confirmation: we'll be giving an update on the development of 0.9.0-dev this afternoon (Monday, August 11th) at

  3 PM EDT (GMT-5)

using the following BigBlueButton server

  password: welcome

This login will become active shortly before 3PM EDT.

We're getting very close to a release of 0.9.0-dev and we're looking forward to going through in detail what is in the release.

We'll also be using the latest build of 0.9.0-dev for this presentation, so if you want to both see and try out the latest build (with WebRTC audio), join the call at 3PM!

Regards,... Fred

Fred Dixon

Aug 11, 2014, 3:01:47 PM8/11/14
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Everyone,

The community update is starting.  Come join us to hear the latest in 0.9.0-dev.

Regards,... Fred

Fred Dixon

Aug 11, 2014, 8:42:31 PM8/11/14
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thanks to everyone who attended.  Here's a recording to the call

This recording was done on a build of BigBlueButton 0.9.0-dev, so don't worry to much about the audio/video sync.

We covered a lot of ground during this call.  In particular we detailed the features that are coming in 0.9.0, with emphasis on the start/stop recording button and support for WebRTC audio.

Our development process is outlined here

You can expect the following in the near future:

1. Merge the development branch (merge-polling-with-master) into master
2. Release of 0.9.0-dev (with instructions to install and to setup dev environment)

3. Fix all major bugs found by dev community (that's anyone reading this mailing list :-)
4. Finalize all language strings
5. Release 0.9.0-beta

6. Fix all remaining bugs
7. Update localization (merge in contributions from the community)
8. Release Candidate

We're looking forward to getting the release of 0.9.0-dev out soon.

Regards,... Fred