BigBlueButton 2.2-beta released

Fred Dixon

Mar 7, 2019, 1:33:11 AM3/7/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
We are very pleased to announce the release of BigBlueButton 2.2-beta.

This is a *major* update to BigBlueButton.  It marks the point at which the HTML5 client moves to the foreground and becomes the default client for BigBlueButton.

The HTML5 now implements all the main capabilities for the viewer, moderator, and presenter.

The HTML5 client runs without plugins. There is no Flash, no Java, and no mobile app needed to run the HTML5 client.  The client takes advantage of the latest capabilities of FireFox and Chrome (the recommended browsers on the desktop) and mobile Safari (for iOS 11+ iPhones and iPads).

The HTML5 client uses the browser's support for web real-time communication (webRTC) to send and receive high-quality audio, video, and screen sharing.  You'll find the shared video of higher quality than the Flash client.  We use FreeSWITCH for WebRTC audio and Kurento for WebRTC video/screen sharing.

The HTML5 client implements the full capabilities for the presenter upload presentation, pan/zoom, and annotate using whiteboard tools (including multi-user whiteboard).

The HTML5 client offers more collaboration capabilities (compared with the Flash client) including built-in shared notes (using EtherPad) and ability to share YouTube video during the session (though the shared YouTube video does not appear yet in the recording).

The HTML5 client runs on desktop, laptop, chromebook, and mobile devices.  It implements a responsive interface (written in React) that automatically adapts to the screen size.  This means the *same* code and interface is now running across all these devices.  For mobile devices there is no app to install.

The HTML5 client runs with the mobile browser which on iOS is mobile Safari browser and on Android is Chrome.  These browsers support using WebRTC to send/receive audio and video.  The supported operating systems on mobile devices is iOS 11+ for Apple iPhones/iPads and Android 6.0+.  The device must support the h.264 codec (which is supported by iOS and most Android phones).

For a video overview of the capabilities of the new HTML5 client, see

For a step-by-step instructions to install BigBlueButton 2.2-beta, see

In many cases, you can use bbb-install.sh to install BigBlueButton 2.2-beta with a single command in about 15 minutes, see

Note: when using bbb-install.sh to install BigBlueButton 2.2-beta, use the parameter "-v xenial-220-beta" (not "-v xenial-200").

After installation, if you want to configure your server to only load the HTML5 client, see

If you encounter any issues when installing, see

If you want to try out the latest build of BigBlueButton 2.2-beta on our test server, visit

Let us know if you find any issues with this beta release, or if you have feedback on its installation/use.

We want to thank many of the members of this community that installed earlier builds of BigBlueButton 2.2-dev and gave us their feedback.  BigBlueButton is a very open source project that has seen over 90 contributors and 23,000+ commits, see

The project has been forked over 3,500 times.  We think that is going to increase with this new HTML5 client.

While BigBlueButton anyone can use BigBlueButton as a general web conferencing system, the project focuses on the needs of the instructor and student for online learning.

In the learning management systems (LMS) space, BigBlueButton has become the default virtual classroom system for Canvas, Moodle Cloud, Sakai, Schoolgy, D2L, and Jenzabar.  As a result, all of these companies have contributed directly and indirectly to the success of this open source project.

We want to make this release of BigBlueButton our release yet.  If you want to follow what we are currently working on at the moment in BigBlueButton 2.2-beta, see

Our focus now is to finish up this beta release and move to a release candidate.  You can help us by setting up your own BigBlueButton 2.2-beta server, trying it under load, and giving us your feedback.

Warm Regards,... The BigBlueButton Developers

Fred Dixon

Mar 7, 2019, 3:54:21 PM3/7/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Everyone,

When updating from a BigBlueButton 2.0 server, two points:

1.  Before running the upgrade, purge the bbb-client package

  sudo apt-get purge bbb-client

This is needed as the package ownership for /etc/bigbluebuton/nginx/web file has moved to bbb-web package.  Uninstalling bbb-client first ensures that bbb-web can write a new file to that /etc/bigbluebuton/nginx/web.

2.  Install BigBlueButton 2.2-beta as normal following

3.  After the install finishes, if bbb-conf --check warns you that

  defaultGuestPolicy=ASK_MODERATOR

you can change to defaultGuestPolicy=ALWAYS_ACCEPT by following the steps here

We're working on implementing the logic for a moderator to approve/deny incoming viewers in the HTML5 client.  See

We've built this logic into bbb-install.sh so, if you use bbb-install.sh to update a stock BigBlueButton 2.0, server it automatically do the above logic.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Nicolas

Mar 7, 2019, 4:20:26 PM3/7/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hey Fred, thank you for that update!

I just tried a little and I've only seen two problems:

1. Firefox will not offer me any webcams to choose from

2. Attendees can share their webcam even though they do not have the permissions for it.

Everything else seems pretty smooth :-)

Thank you for that great work!

Chad Pilkey

Mar 7, 2019, 4:42:27 PM3/7/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Make sure your test users have the correct role. I just tested this on test.bigbluebutton.org with a viewer sharing a webcam and when the webcams were locked the Viewer's webcam was stopped and couldn't be restarted. Viewers are circles and moderators are squares in the new UI.

NEXIO Australia

Mar 7, 2019, 8:44:26 PM3/7/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

Congratulations on this big release! This release has great features which we were waiting for a long time.

I did a quick test in test.bigbluebutton.org.  I was trying to export the shared notes to any format available, but had the following error: "401 Authorization Required"

Am i doing something wrong?

Hope this feedback helps,
NEXIO

Fred Dixon

Mar 7, 2019, 9:02:45 PM3/7/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Nexio,

You are right -- but it is only happening in Demo Meeting at test.bigbluebutton.org.  I joined another meeting on the server and was able to use the Shared Notes

image.png

However, when I tried to join the Demo Meeting and only was able to stay in for a few moments.  Opened an issue to track this

we'll take a closer look tomorrow.  We've restarted BigBlueButton server on test.bigbluebutton.org and I'm able to join again normally.

Thanks again for pointing this out!

Regards,... Fred

Sanjay Kumar

Mar 7, 2019, 10:39:59 PM3/7/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
I was kicked out initially from the meeting . But it was stable after you joined us. I was in the meeting with another tester for quite a while.

Thanks
Sanjay Kumar

David Heuring

Mar 7, 2019, 11:31:51 PM3/7/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred and Chad,

Been using BBB since 0.8 and absolutely love it.  I had BBB 2.0, HTML5 and Greenlight all installed and working fine.  Today, I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.2-Beta following these instructions:  http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/2.2/overview.html.   All went well until the end when I tried to access the site.  I'm getting a "This site can't be reached" error message.  I am not behind a firewall and have a valid Letsencrypt SSL certificate.  So, I ran bbb-conf --check (see attached file).  All looks fine except the last item which says it can't reach the default url.  I ran bbb-conf --setip, checked that nginx is running, checked that port 80 is not being used, and checked the configuration in the bigbluebutton conf file in "sites-available".  Everything seems fine.  I also rebooted the server for good measure.  I don't think it is a permission issue because I didn't change any folders on the server.  Please advise.  Been waiting anxiously for this version and excited to try it out!!!

Much appreciated

Dave Heuring
BBB.txt

jossef

Mar 8, 2019, 5:41:20 AM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev

Hi Fred

>>> (though the shared YouTube video does not appear yet in the recording).

just a thought about recording and YouTube sharing,
Maybe add ability to automatically insert YouTube clip URL to chat window,
so user viewing recording can manually play the YouTube clip.

Regards
Jossef

בתאריך יום חמישי, 7 במרץ 2019 בשעה 08:33:11 UTC+2, מאת Fred Dixon:

Fred Dixon

Mar 8, 2019, 8:11:57 AM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Jossef,

> Maybe add ability to automatically insert YouTube clip URL to chat window,
> so user viewing recording can manually play the YouTube clip.

We could do this.  We have a few other options, such as trying to pull down the segments that are displayed during the session and incorporating them into the recording.

Regards,... Fred

shawn mckibben

Mar 8, 2019, 10:25:10 AM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Much anticipated, thanks Fred and all who helped!

The question that was posed to me was when running the script, will it wipe all the current settings? We have a small test server running 2.0 and RC11. Or is there a particular procedure to update it since it is an existing install?

-S

Chad Pilkey

Mar 8, 2019, 11:42:45 AM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
David,

It looks like there's a mix of HTTPS and HTTP configuration in the different components. I see some WSS (secure websockets) referenced, but then nginx is only listening on 80 and not 443. If your original setup was with the install script you might want to run it again with the same options for the HTML5 client and HTTPS so that everything is configured again. If you installed manually then just double check all of the required changes because it looks like some are missing.

Chad Pilkey

Mar 8, 2019, 11:46:16 AM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Shawn,

I believe the upgrade will try to save some settings, but in a few cases the old settings won't map well or might not exist anymore. I would backup any important ones like bbb-web's bigbluebutton.properties or the HTML5 settings-production.json before upgrading if you want to keep your changes. In 2.2 we also changed the HTML5 configuration from a JSON file to a YAML file so that one will be overwritten for sure. Upgrading within a release is usually smoother, but there are usually some big changes when going from one release to another.

shawn mckibben

Mar 8, 2019, 11:52:03 AM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thank you, and will do!

Fred Dixon

Mar 8, 2019, 12:36:04 PM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Shawn,

> The question that was posed to me was when running the script, will it wipe all the current settings? We have a small test server running 2.0 and RC11. Or is there a particular procedure to update it since it is an existing install?

Did you make any custom changes to the BigBlueButton settings?  The script really just automates all the steps for installing/upgrading BigBlueButton.  The package updates will overwrite some configuration files with new information, but if the IP address/hostname of your server is the same, it should work.

We do a fair bit of testing of the packaging for
  - install BigBlueButton 2.2-beta on a new server
  - upgrade BigBlueButton 2.0 server to BigBlueButton 2.2-beta

Again, if you made a custom configuration change to FreeSWITCH, for example, and made some changes to /opt/freeswitch/etc/freeswitch/sip_profiles/external.xml, then those changes will be overwritten when the new version of FreeSWITCH for 2.2-beta gets installed.

The bottom line is if you have made any custom changes to BigBlueButton (outside of using bbb-conf), you need to take note of them and re-apply them after upgrading.

And, as always, if you encounter any issues, let us know.

Regards,... Fred

shawn mckibben

Mar 8, 2019, 3:29:10 PM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thanks Fred, I'm going to work on it over the weekend. I'll let you know if I encounter any oddities. =)

David Heuring

Mar 8, 2019, 9:24:31 PM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thank you, Chad.  Yes, I had upgraded manually but had not checked all the configuration modifications.  The SSL directives in my sites-available file had been removed so I reentered them and can now access the site.  When manually going through the rest of the configuration changes, I could not make the following one because that line was not in the file.  Is it no longer needed?

Open /usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml editing and change:

Thanks so much for you help!

David

Fred Dixon

Mar 8, 2019, 10:30:18 PM3/8/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi David,

Good catch -- there is actually a typo in the steps.  It reads
but it should be the following (with the more generic bbb.example.com)

We've made the edit in the docs to correct this.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,... Fred

iyan sofyan

Mar 9, 2019, 3:12:26 AM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred ,

I have update my bigbluebutton server to 2.2 Beta with bbb.install.sh. Everything is ok except some problem found as follows:

1. Shared notes error 404 not found

bbb-problem.png

2. Webcam sharing in firefox become inverted.
3. I can't upload .pptx file with Microsoft office 2016, when I convert it to .ppt  or .pdf it works.

Thank you.

Regards,
Iyan Sofyan

David Heuring

Mar 9, 2019, 4:14:39 AM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Okay, great.  I checked and it was already correct in the file but good to change it in the instructions.

Next up....when I logged in using an Android phone, I tried the webcam and got this "Error 2203 The server does not have the appropriate codec."

Nicolas

Mar 9, 2019, 1:25:38 PM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Chad,

thanks for getting back, you were right, the translations on those strings were confusing.

I found the reason why Firexox would not display a webcam: My webcam outputs a 1280x720 signal, which is another ratio as the pre-configured 320x240.

I changed the config value in setting.yml to 640x360 and now the webcam shows but is sideways cropped and displays about a square sized window.

Where can I enable widescreen webcams?

Thank you!

Fred Dixon

Mar 9, 2019, 7:16:48 PM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Iyan,

> I have update my bigbluebutton server to 2.2 Beta with bbb.install.sh. Everything is ok except some problem found as follows:

Cool!

> 1. Shared notes error 404 not found

Can you try it again with the latest build and let us know if it now works.  To upgrade to the latest build of BigBlueButton 2.2-beta, just run the initial bbb-install.sh command again.

Can you try it on https://test.bigbluebutton.org/ and let us know if you can reproduce the issue there.  If you do, can you tell us more about your setup OS + Webcam.

> 3. I can't upload .pptx file with Microsoft office 2016, when I convert it to .ppt  or .pdf it works.

Your right -- good catch!

We just did a test with a sample .pptx file and it converts on BigBlueButton 2.0 but not on the latest build of BigBlueButton 2.2-beta.  Opened an issue to track and fix

Thanks Iyan for your feedback and testing!

Regards,... Fred

Fred Dixon

Mar 9, 2019, 7:34:31 PM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi David,

Updated the documentation -- let us know if you find anything else that doesn't make sense.

> Next up....when I logged in using an Android phone, I tried the webcam and got this "Error 2203 The server does not have the appropriate codec."

What make of Android phone do you have?

BigBlueButton is set to use h.264 as the codec for WebRTC as it's the only codec that iOS recognizes.  However, we've noticed some phones (esp Huawei don't have the h.264 codec, so they can only recognize VP8).

Regards,... Fred

Fred Dixon

Mar 9, 2019, 7:36:48 PM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Nicolas,

Can we get you to open an new thread on this and we'll help you there.

> I found the reason why Firexox would not display a webcam: My webcam outputs a 1280x720 signal, which is another ratio as the pre-configured 320x240.
> I changed the config value in setting.yml to 640x360 and now the webcam shows but is sideways cropped and displays about a square sized window.

In the new thread, can you tell use the type of webcam that you are using -- thanks.

Regards,.. Fred

David Heuring

Mar 9, 2019, 8:33:13 PM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Huawei P20.  That explains it.

Fred Dixon

Mar 9, 2019, 9:28:49 PM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi David,

It's strange, but this review mentions the phone has the ability to record h.264 video.

Curious -- do you see this option when you do recording of video?

Regards,.. Fred

David Heuring

Mar 9, 2019, 10:59:00 PM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev

Yes, it's there.  When I select record, there are two options, one for H.264 and the other for H.265.  H.264 is evidently the default because it is already ticked.

iyan sofyan

Mar 9, 2019, 11:18:32 PM3/9/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

Pada Minggu, 10 Maret 2019 07.16.48 UTC+7, Fred Dixon menulis:

> 1. Shared notes error 404 not found

Can you try it again with the latest build and let us know if it now works.  To upgrade to the latest build of BigBlueButton 2.2-beta, just run the initial bbb-install.sh command again.

I have upagrade to the latest version BB 2.2 beta with bbb-install.sh. The problem still persist.

> 2. Webcam sharing in firefox become inverted.

Can you try it on https://test.bigbluebutton.org/ and let us know if you can reproduce the issue there.  If you do, can you tell us more about your setup OS + Webcam.
I test it on test.bigbluebutton.org and the webcam still inverted in Firefox while in chrome it's normal. I use my lenovo yoga 520 integrated camera for this.

Fred Dixon

Mar 10, 2019, 10:50:10 AM3/10/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Iyan,

> 1. Shared notes error 404 not found

We fixed the issue with shared notes (our use of localhost in notes.nginx was binding to IPV6 whereas shared notes is listening to 127.0.0.1 on IPV4) and have updated the beta packages.

Your shared notes should now be working.

Thanks again for pointing this out and give giving us temporary access to your server to take a closer look.  Much appreciated.

Regards,... Fred

iyan sofyan

Mar 10, 2019, 8:32:56 PM3/10/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

Thank you. The shared note  issue has been resolved.

Regards,
Iyan Sofyan

wpri...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2019, 4:53:09 AM3/11/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

It’s a great news that I have been waiting since bbb 2.2 dev version release.

I try to upgrade my bbb 2.0 that already installed in my production server by following your guideline bellow.

But my installation is stuck and I has waiting for a few hours the progress is never complet.

Below is where the progress is stuck:

Reading state information...

  libx264-152 libx265-160 libx265-165 linux-headers-4.4.0-138 linux-headers-4.4.0-138-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-139 linux-headers-4.4.0-139-generic linux-image-4.4.0-138-generic

  linux-image-4.4.0-139-generic python-dialog python-letsencrypt python-psutil

Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.

  bbb-demo

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 1,984 kB of archives.

After this operation, 1,986 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Get:1 https://ubuntu.bigbluebutton.org/xenial-220-beta bigbluebutton-xenial/main amd64 bbb-demo amd64 1:2.2.0-7 [1,984 kB]

Fetched 1,984 kB in 2s (696 kB/s)

Selecting previously unselected package bbb-demo.

(Reading database ... 268812 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../bbb-demo_1%3a2.2.0-7_amd64.deb ...

Unpacking bbb-demo (1:2.2.0-7) ...

Setting up bbb-demo (1:2.2.0-7) ...

Reloading nginx.service using systemd

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Warm Regards,

Widi

Fred Dixon

Mar 11, 2019, 7:30:57 AM3/11/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Widi,

Hmmm ... is it still showing the progress dots?

If so, cancel it and do

  sudo apt-get install -f

and let us know what is the output.  If it finished, so

  sudo bbb-conf --restart
  sudo bbb-conf --check

to restart and check for configuration issues.

Also, if you didn't make any custom changes to the server (outside of bbb-conf), you can use bbb-install.sh to automate the updates (see reference in the initial post).  bbb-install.sh automates many of the steps to install/upgrade BigBlueButton.  These are the same steps you would do when going through the step-by-step instructions.

Regards,... Fred

wpri...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2019, 7:42:26 AM3/11/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi fred,

Below is the output from command sudo apt-get install -f

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

  libx264-152 libx265-160 libx265-165 linux-headers-4.4.0-138 linux-headers-4.4.0-138-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-139 linux-headers-4.4.0-139-generic

  linux-image-4.4.0-138-generic linux-image-4.4.0-139-generic python-dialog python-letsencrypt python-psutil

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

But when I restarting the bigbluebutton, it seems finding the error shown as below:

** Potential problems described below **

# Error: Could not connect to the configured hostname/IP address

#

#    http://bbb.mikkha.com/

#

# If your BigBlueButton server is behind a firewall, see FAQ.

# Warning: The API demos are installed and accessible from:

#

#    https://bbb.mikkha.com

#

# and

#

#    https://bbb.mikkha.com/demo/demo1.jsp

#

# These API demos allow anyone to access your server without authentication

# to create/manage meetings and recordings. They are for testing purposes only.

# If you are running a production system, remove them by running:

#

#    apt-get purge bbb-demo

# Error: Unable to reach default URL for presentation:

#

#    https://bbb.mikkha.com/default.pdf

#

# Check value for beans.presentationService.defaultUploadedPresentation in

#   /usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties

Fyi, I am using let’s encrypt for the ssl. And it’s works before with bigbluebutton v.2.0 ..

Thx,

ivan....@itaf.eu

Mar 11, 2019, 8:44:53 AM3/11/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

we have just recently updated from 2.0.RC-11 to 2.2-Beta but experiencing 401 unauthorized when html5 is loading (stuck at loading 3 dots screen)

any hints

best regards,
Ivan

wpri...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2019, 9:23:57 AM3/11/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

Fyi, I have solved my previous issue… the cause is configuration in /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton that I already set in the previous version for SSL is missing.

But I have new issue while testing the bigbluebutton 2.2-beta.

I cannot activate the microphone. The output is error 1006: Called time out…. And also got error 1004: Failure on call (reason: Request Timeout) while activate the speaker.

Looking forward the hint from you for the issue..

Thx,

Widi

Chad Pilkey

Mar 11, 2019, 12:57:25 PM3/11/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Ivan,

What's the output from "bbb-conf --check" and "bbb-conf --version"?

Fred Dixon

Mar 11, 2019, 2:21:28 PM3/11/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Widi,

>  cannot activate the microphone. The output is error 1006: Called time out…. And also got error 1004: Failure on call (reason: Request Timeout) while activate the speaker.

Can you test against

and let us know if you can reproduce the issue there.

Regards,... Fred

Fred Dixon

Mar 11, 2019, 2:23:35 PM3/11/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Ivan,

> we have just recently updated from 2.0.RC-11 to 2.2-Beta but experiencing 401 unauthorized when html5 is loading (stuck at loading 3 dots screen)

Did you do a step-by-step upgrade or use bbb-install.sh?  Can you post the output of

  sudo bbb-conf --status

Regards,...  Fred

wpri...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2019, 7:09:08 PM3/11/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

I have access https://test.bigbluebutton.org and everything goes well without any issue..

Capture.PNG

Fred Dixon

Mar 11, 2019, 11:36:12 PM3/11/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Widi,

Thanks for giving us a brief look at your server.  You had setup a SSL certificate on your server (good), but you needed to complete some steps to enable FreeSWITCH to listen on port 7443.

Using 203.0.113.1 as an example, in sip.nginx, you had

instead of

This caused your BigBlueButton client to try and make a secure web socket connection to port 5066 instead of 7443 (hence the errors).  See

Regards,... Fred

wpri...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2019, 11:53:54 PM3/11/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your time to helping me solve the issue..

We are planned to release our product by end of Q1 in this year.. really appreciate your works and team to release a lot of new features in 2.2 while we are launch..

Will take a note your mention below as my tech support for a maintaining guideline.

Fred Dixon

Mar 11, 2019, 11:56:24 PM3/11/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Widi,

> We are planned to release our product by end of Q1 in this year.. really appreciate your works and team to release a lot of new features in 2.2 while we are launch..

Nice!  Keep the feedback coming and let us know if you find any issues with 2.2-beta.   It's under very active development and we're working towards making this our best release yet.

Regards,... Fred

Message has been deleted

ivan....@itaf.eu

Mar 12, 2019, 4:23:30 AM3/12/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
we did step by step,
it's and was easier for us as we use two network interfaces.

ivan....@itaf.eu

Mar 12, 2019, 5:25:02 AM3/12/19
to BigBlueButton-dev

root@itafwms06:/home/ivan.antic# bbb-conf --status
red5 ——————————————————► [✔ - active]
tomcat7 ———————————————► [✔ - active]
nginx —————————————————► [✔ - active]
freeswitch ————————————► [✔ - active]
redis-server ——————————► [✔ - active]
bbb-apps-akka —————————► [✔ - active]
bbb-transcode-akka ————► [✔ - active]
bbb-fsesl-akka ————————► [✔ - active]
mongod ————————————————► [✔ - active]
bbb-html5 —————————————► [✔ - active]
bbb-webrtc-sfu ————————► [✔ - active]
kurento-media-server ——► [✔ - active]

ivan....@itaf.eu

Mar 12, 2019, 5:37:52 AM3/12/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
dunno if make any differences...but for some reason the folder /usr/share/bbb-web/ is missing ??

Fred Dixon

Mar 12, 2019, 6:49:29 AM3/12/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Ivan,

> dunno if make any differences...but for some reason the folder /usr/share/bbb-web/ is missing ??

That would make a difference as bbb-web handles all the API calls.  What is the output of the commands

  which yq
  sudo apt-get install bbb-web

Regards,... Fred

ivan....@itaf.eu

Mar 12, 2019, 7:28:33 AM3/12/19
to BigBlueButton-dev

/usr/bin/yq

root@itafwms06:/etc/bigbluebutton/nginx# sudo apt-get install bbb-web

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
bbb-web is already the newest version (1:2.2.0-67).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 16 not to upgrade.

(i did installed bbb-web), but it seems that doesn't make any difference

Thanks for followup Fred!
Message has been deleted

Anton Georgiev

Mar 12, 2019, 8:57:56 AM3/12/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
 Hi Ivan,
 I was the the one working last on this part of the HTML5 client code and have not seen this use case before. Would you be able to post here the logs you generated during a login attempt like this? The command to obtain the logs would be

journalctl -f -u bbb-html5
(you execute the command on the server, then attempt to log in via browser, then copy-paste the accumulated logs)

Best regards,
Anton Georgiev
P.S. Feel free to reach out directly to me via email if you prefer not to post the logs publicly

Robert Best

Mar 12, 2019, 7:46:36 PM3/12/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
I've been troubleshooting my way to getting the 2.2-beta running on my digitalocean droplet...

Where I am stuck at now is getting the webcams to be able to share. I click the button and it hangs for a bit, then I see a notification in my chrome address bar that says this:

If I allow the unsafe scripts then I can get the webcam to load.

I'm a newb sysadmin, so likely this is something really simple :P

Fred Dixon

Mar 12, 2019, 8:03:04 PM3/12/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Robert,

Are you accessing your BigBlueButton server via an IP address or hostname + SSL certificate?  The later is needed for all other browsers except FireFox to share audio/video.

Try it at

and you should be able to share your camera and microphone. See also

and use '-v xenail-220-beta' instead of '-v xenial-200'.

Regards,...  Fred

wpri...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2019, 1:17:56 AM3/13/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred and team..

I have another issues while playing around the bigbluebutton 2.2 -beta.

  1. When I’m trying to share webcam, I’ve got error: 1020 media could not reach the server.
    fyi, I already try from test.bigbluebutton.org and everything goes well.
  2. I cannot find /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties file.

Regards,

Widi

Mar 13, 2019, 8:42:58 AM3/13/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Widi,

> /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties

The modifications you need to make should be at

We're in progress of removing the old HTML5 docs.  Are you seeing this in the older path anywhere?

> When I’m trying to share webcam, I’ve got error: 1020 media could not reach the server.

Can you try it with both FireFox and Chrome -- are you getting the same error?   It might be that Kurento is not running, what is the output of

sudo bbb-conf --status

> fyi, I already try from test.bigbluebutton.org and everything goes well.

Nice!

Regards,... Fred

Widi Prihatna

Mar 13, 2019, 10:59:32 AM3/13/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi fred

The modifications you need to make should be at....
---> yes, just consider the root is change.. :)

Can you try it with both FireFox and Chrome -- are you getting the same error?   It might be that Kurento is not running, what is the output of
---> already did with same problem, but in the firefox i can't find the web cam driver.

Below is the output of sudo bbb-conf --status.

root@MyServer:~# sudo bbb-conf --status
red5 ——————————————————► [✔ - active]
tomcat7 ———————————————► [✔ - active]
nginx —————————————————► [✔ - active]
freeswitch ————————————► [✔ - active]
redis-server ——————————► [✔ - active]
bbb-apps-akka —————————► [✔ - active]
bbb-transcode-akka ————► [✔ - active]
bbb-fsesl-akka ————————► [✔ - active]
mongod ————————————————► [✔ - active]
bbb-html5 —————————————► [✔ - active]
bbb-webrtc-sfu ————————► [✔ - active]
kurento-media-server ——► [✔ - active]
bbb-web ———————————————► [✔ - active]

Warm regards,

Widi

Robert Best

Mar 13, 2019, 11:02:31 AM3/13/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

I am accessing BBB with a hostname+SSL. That's all working fine. Neither Chrome nor firefox is letting me share webcam (or screenshare it seems). Chrome shows that warning at the top about unsafe scripts still, and both chrome and firefox give me the same Error 1020 that Widi mentioned.

I ran sudo bbb-conf --status as you asked Widi, and all the items are checked off as active.

-Robert

Fred Dixon

Mar 13, 2019, 11:48:01 AM3/13/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Robert and Widi,

Robert,

> Chrome shows that warning at the top about unsafe scripts [when accessing shared notes]

Thanks for giving us a closer look.  The unsafe script was due to your having a http://<IP>/pad in in settings.yml.  If you edit

  /usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml

and update the url to have https with your hostname, as in

  note:
    enabled: true

then restart BigBlueButton and you shouldn't get these errors when accessing shared notes.

> both chrome and firefox give me the same Error 1020 that Widi mentioned.

We can see now that your webcam/audio are working after you went through the steps at

Widi, can you go through the above steps.  The earlier issue you had with audio was you missed the steps to setup FreeSWITCH to use SSL.  You may have missed other steps as well when setting up SSL :-).

Let us know if after double-checking the steps if things still don't work.

Regards,.. Fred

wpri...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2019, 7:27:54 PM3/13/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi fred,

Just following the step, but still finding the same issue..

root@MyServer:~# nano /usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties

root@MyServer:~# nano /usr/share/red5/webapps/screenshare/WEB-INF/screenshare.properties

root@MyServer:~# nano /var/www/bigbluebutton/client/conf/config.xml

root@MyServer:~# sed -e 's|http://|https://|g' -i /var/www/bigbluebutton/client/conf/config.xml

root@MyServer:~# nano /var/www/bigbluebutton/client/conf/config.xml

root@MyServer:~# nano /usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml

root@MyServer:~# nano /usr/local/bigbluebutton/core/scripts/bigbluebutton.yml

root@MyServer:~# nano /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/demo/bbb_api_conf.jsp

root@MyServer:~# sudo bbb-conf --restart

Restarting BigBlueButton 2.2.0-beta ...

Stopping BigBlueButton

Starting BigBlueButton

** Potential problems described below **

# Warning: The API demos are installed and accessible from:

#

#    https://bbb.domain.com

#

# and

#

#    https://bbb.domain.com/demo/demo1.jsp

#

# These API demos allow anyone to access your server without authentication

# to create/manage meetings and recordings. They are for testing purposes only.

# If you are running a production system, remove them by running:

#

#    apt-get purge bbb-demo

Regards,

Widi

 /usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml

What is the value for 'wsUrl'?

Regards,...  Fred

wpri...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2019, 10:39:13 PM3/13/19
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

Below is the value of wsUrl

wsUrl: wss://bbb.mikkha.com/bbb-webrtc-sfu

regards,

Eugenia M

Mar 15, 2019, 8:52:21 AM3/15/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello,

I had (probably) the same problem with Ivan when upgrading from 2.0 to 2.2-beta, with the same outputs that have been posted so far. It turns out that following the instructions did not update some bbb packages for me. By executing
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt
-get dist-upgrade
the remaining packages were updated and I stopped getting that error.

Fred Dixon

Mar 15, 2019, 6:41:31 PM3/15/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Eugenia,

Thanks for pointing this out -- added one more `dist-upgrade` to the steps to ensure all the packages are updated after upgrading from a previous version.

Regards,.. Fred

François Compain

Mar 20, 2019, 3:17:28 PM3/20/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello,

Thank you for this major update, HTML 5 is so better than Flash.

Why screen share don't update on Excel ?

I wrote "Hello" in a cell but nothing appears in BBB screensharing. I thought this problem will be fixed on 2.2-beta, because I still have this issue since 2.0.

Best regards.

François

Mar 20, 2019, 3:31:00 PM3/20/19
to BigBlueButton-dev

It works on "Share Screen" but not when "Share Excel Window" (on Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits)

Best regards

Sakis

Mar 22, 2019, 11:04:09 AM3/22/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
I dont think that it is a problem, just to mention it.

In previous versions (beta 2) you could sign in a meeting with the same user more than once (from a different device).
Now if you try to do it you get a 403 error.

Fred Dixon

Mar 25, 2019, 6:36:47 AM3/25/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Sakis,

> In previous versions (beta 2) you could sign in a meeting with the same user more than once (from a different device).
> Now if you try to do it you get a 403 error.

Can you give us the steps to reproduce on https://test.bigbluebutton.org/

Regards,... Fred

Chad Pilkey

Mar 25, 2019, 6:20:21 PM3/25/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
I was able to reproduce. The trigger is two users with the same externalUserId (userId on the join call). I think the change is intentional, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sakis

Mar 26, 2019, 5:35:32 AM3/26/19
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello Fred,
I think I haven't described it correctly.

I use bbb with a moodle site.
Until now, I could sign in to the site from my desktop and join a bbb session.
At the same time I could sign in with the same credentials from my mobile and join the same session.

If I try to do the same now (bbb 2.2), the first user will get an 403 error.