Give us your feedback on the BigBlueButton project

Fred Dixon

May 5, 2016, 10:44:07 AM5/5/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Everyone,

We finished our 8th developer summit last week in which developers around the world collaborated together on advancing the BigBlueButton project.

You can see the results of the summit here:

In particular, there were three presentations we made on the current and future plans for BigBlueButton.

  BigBlueButton UI

  BigBlueButton Core

  HTML5 Client

We'd like to get input from the members of bigbluebutton-dev on these plans.

Right now, here's an overview of the current activities:

# BigBlueButton 1.0-RC

We are finishing up this release.

You can expect to see a final release soon (barring any unforeseen issues).  BigBlueButton 1.0 has undergone extensive testing and we are looking forward to it's release.

# BigBlueButton 1.1 (under development)

We are planning to add

  1. Breakout Rooms
  2. Closed Captioning
  3. Faster desktop sharing (via Java Web Start)
  4. Ubuntu 16.04 packaging

# Mobile

We are working on two mobile clients

  - AIR client for iOS/Android
  - HTML5 client (Android)

which are currently under active development, in parallel to the 1.0 and 1.1 release cycles, and   built upon the BigBlueButton core.

# UI

The mobile clients will have the new UI (see above links for more details on the new UI under development).

The new UI will also appear in BigBlueButton core subsequent to release 1.1 (this way we can get 1.1 out sooner, which we think will benefit everyone).

As you can see from the above, we are improving the product in 1.0 and 1.1 to ensure the functionality evolves to meet the need of our target market (on-line learning) and to give other developers a solid platform to build upon.

At the same time, in parallel, we are working hard on an HTML5 client and mobile client that builds upon the *same* core -- this way, if you build upon BigBlueButton today, you will have increasing options for users to access your service.

While we focus on online learning (with its needs for accessibility for students), we are also happy to see other companies build upon BigBlueButton for offering new products and services to their customers while we focus on improving the core and providing an installation that gets everything running quickly for you on a single server.

All this leads to growing a healthy ecosystem around the project.

With all that said, what features do you want to see in future versions of BigBlueButton (and why)?

Whether it's a large or small feature, we're interested in your feedback.  If you like our plans outlined above, let us know.  If you would like something different, let us know too (and the reasoning behind it).

We obviously can't do everything in each release, but we do try to plan each release for maximum benefit to the project.

We look forward to hearing your feedback.

Regards,.. Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

DIARRA Sega Oumar

May 8, 2016, 9:31:03 AM5/8/16
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

where we can suggest a feature?, here or is there a link with all suggestions?

best regards...

Fred Dixon

May 8, 2016, 10:53:27 AM5/8/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Diarra,

The post at the beginning of this thread is a good high-level overview.  For a slightly more detailed overview, see the project's road map

For a detailed up-to-date list of all enhancement requests, see

If you have an enhancement request that is already in the issue tracker, add a comment to the associated issue.

If you have an enhancement request not covered above, post to this thread (or open an enhancement request in the issue tracker).

Regards,... Fred

jossef

May 9, 2016, 3:22:05 AM5/9/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred

I think Using manycam is Correct approach, but complicated, and especially Problematic with playing audio of the video clip.
I remember that this feature was in a high position in previous roadmaps.

Regards,.. Yossi

בתאריך יום חמישי, 5 במאי 2016 בשעה 17:44:07 UTC+3, מאת Fred Dixon:

Fred Dixon

May 9, 2016, 7:13:38 AM5/9/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Jossef,

Judging from your posts, we can see you've been using BigBlueButton for a few years now.  Nice.

> I remember that this feature was in a high position in previous roadmaps.

It's actually one of our longest outstanding enhancement requests.  See

It's tricky when you let people upload a video file to BigBlueButton as the server must convert the video file to a common format (but not too tricky as ffmpeg is purpose built for this).

Once the video is on the server, red5 could stream it and we would need to create playback controls for the moderator and keep the viewers in sync.

We have the docket for 1.1 pretty full.   We do plan to offer synchronized video feedback for a future release of BigBlueButton.

Thanks for your feedback Jossef; are there any other features you want to see in the product?

Regards,... Fred

jossef

May 10, 2016, 4:58:19 AM5/10/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Yes, I'm a big fan since version 0.71  :)
I think BigBlueButton is simply built right.
I totally agree that uploading video file to the server Is not the right approach.
instead, lecturer's simply need to send YouTube URL into a new window (module) with embedded browser / player .
The lecturer shuld be able to close this window to all, and continue his lecture, similar to Screen Sharing window.
Does that make sense?

בתאריך יום שני, 9 במאי 2016 בשעה 14:13:38 UTC+3, מאת Fred Dixon:

Fred Dixon

May 10, 2016, 5:08:36 AM5/10/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Jossef,

> I totally agree that uploading video file to the server Is not the right approach.
instead, lecturer's simply need to send YouTube URL into a new window (module) with embedded browser / player .
> The lecturer shuld be able to close this window to all, and continue his lecture, similar to Screen Sharing window.
> Does that make sense?

That's the plan.

We've not tried to do a proof-of-concept of this yet.  It's actually a good project if one of the developers on this mailing list wanted to try prototyping it.

It might turn out that you need more from YouTube than a URL to a video to control it's playback.  If so, it might require the instructor to upload the video to BigBlueButton to control it's playback.

A bit more investigation is needed and if anyone out there wants to try, please do so and let us know your thoughts on the best way to achieve this.

BigBlueButton client is Flash-based, so embedding a video playback in an iFrame isn't ideal.  The BigBlueButton client would need to control an RTMP playback stream for all the clients with seek capability, that way we could display the video in the video dock in a similar way to the webcams and desktop sharing video.

Regards,... Fred

jossef

May 16, 2016, 4:46:23 AM5/16/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred

Search, and control of playback, is certainly good to have,
But from responses I received,  a pop-up player that will "get url "
And the possibility for teacher to close this player window,  will be sufficient for most use case.

also, about the wordpress plugin....
will be great to have possibility to view recordings list for specific Meeting IDs only, and not all recordings on the server,

Regards,.. Jossef

בתאריך יום שלישי, 10 במאי 2016 בשעה 12:08:36 UTC+3, מאת Fred Dixon:

Fred Dixon

May 16, 2016, 7:53:31 AM5/16/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Jossef,

Thanks for the feedback.

> Search, and control of playback, is certainly good to have,

Added the searching of a playback for text in the slides as an enhancement request.

> But from responses I received,  a pop-up player that will "get url "
> And the possibility for teacher to close this player window,  will be sufficient for most use case.

Hmmm ... not sure what you mean ... can you give us an example.

Regards,... Fred

jossef

May 17, 2016, 4:50:54 AM5/17/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred
actually i was referring to the control of YouTube video clip playback during live session.
my point is that it will be a great new Feature even without full control over video playback.
for example:
1) presenter will copy YouTube video clip URL from  YouTube site.
2) paste the url Somewhere on bbb client, and click "play"
3) this will open a YouTube player on all clients. (on top of all outher windows)
4) players on all clients, will get, and play, the video directly form YouTube site.(i think YouTube have a Flash-based player),
5) when presenter will close his player, all players on all clients will close.

Regards, .. Jossef

בתאריך יום שני, 16 במאי 2016 בשעה 14:53:31 UTC+3, מאת Fred Dixon:

Fred Dixon

May 17, 2016, 8:05:05 AM5/17/16
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Josse,

Got it.  I've added a link to your comments in the issue for synchronized video playback

I've also found an example of what looks to be controlling a YouTube video from within Flash.  See

We're going to be pretty focused on the next version of BigBlueButton, along with the HTML5 client.  We would be interested if there is anyone in the community that would want to try embedding control of a YouTube video in BigBlueButton (see above link).

Regards,... Fred

Regards,... Fred