[AMMOUNCE] BFQ-v6r2 for 2.6.38 - 3.9.0 is out

Paolo Valente

Jun 15, 2013, 10:37:15 AM6/15/13
to bfq-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
also this new revision is ready, at last. It is a set of fixes, the most important of which preserves fairness also for synchronous queues. We got to this fix thanks to a fairness problem reported by Andrea Parri.

Interestingly, this fix, together with a fix related to EQM, further improves the stability of the start-up times of short-to-middle-size applications. There are still the usual latency-fluctuations problems with larger applications, such as LibreOffice Writer.
We will go on trying to better understand the cause of those problems as well.
As usual, Arianna prepared a ton of patches and patch-sets for many kernel versions.

If you are interested into further details, here is the changelog:
v6r2:
- Fairness fix: the case of queue expiration for budget timeout is
now correctly handled also for sync queues, thus allowing also
the processes corresponding to these queues to be guaranteed their
reserved share of the disk throughput.
- Fixed a bug that prevented group weights from being correctly
set via the sysfs interface.
- Fixed a bug that cleared a previously-set group weight if the
same value was re-inserted via the sysfs interface.
- Fixed an EQM bug that allowed a newly-started process to skip
its initial weight-raising period if its queue was merged before
its first request was inserted.
- Fixed a bug that preserved already-started weight-raising periods
even if the low_latency tunable was disabled.
- The raising_max_time tunable now shows, more user-friendly, the
maximum raising time in milliseconds.

Any feedback is welcome,
Paolo

post-factum

Jun 18, 2013, 10:05:51 AM6/18/13
to bfq-i...@googlegroups.com
Works OK for my laptop. Thanks for your great job.

Субота, 15 червня 2013 р. 17:37:15 UTC+3 користувач paolo написав:

Hans Jæger

Jun 21, 2013, 3:25:36 PM6/21/13
to bfq-i...@googlegroups.com
Can't apply the patch 0001 on top kernel 3.9.7, din't test the others 2.

Thanks.

Hans Jæger

Jun 21, 2013, 3:28:20 PM6/21/13
to bfq-i...@googlegroups.com
forgot to mention all patches work fine on 3.9.6.

Arianna Avanzini

Jun 22, 2013, 6:57:06 AM6/22/13
to bfq-i...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno venerdì 21 giugno 2013 21:25:36 UTC+2, Hans Jæger ha scritto:
Can't apply the patch 0001 on top kernel 3.9.7, din't test the others 2.

Hello,

I tried to apply the 3.9.0-v6r2 patchset (http://www.algogroup.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/patches/3.9.0-v6r2/) on on a newly downloaded 3.9.7 kernel and it would seem to apply fine. Could you please attach here the error messages you got when attempting to patch the kernel?

Thank you for reporting the issue and for your interest in BFQ.

Thanks.

Hans Jæger

Jun 23, 2013, 10:29:12 AM6/23/13
to bfq-i...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind, my fault, i was using a patched kernel (gentoo-sources) which introduce BFQ now on 3.9.7, thats why fail... im embarrassed sorry. I figures when try to apply manually the patches then read the changelog of the package, sorry again.

At least you know gentoo includes BFQ on their kernels now...

Thanks for your time, salud.

Arianna Avanzini

Jun 23, 2013, 6:58:46 PM6/23/13
to bfq-i...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno domenica 23 giugno 2013 16:29:12 UTC+2, Hans Jæger ha scritto:
Nevermind, my fault, i was using a patched kernel (gentoo-sources) which introduce BFQ now on 3.9.7, thats why fail... im embarrassed sorry. I figures when try to apply manually the patches then read the changelog of the package, sorry again.

No problem at all. Please do not hesitate to report about any issue you may encounter.

At least you know gentoo includes BFQ on their kernels now...

I'm sure Paolo Valente will be happy to hear that.

Thanks for your time, salud.

Thank you for your interest in BFQ.