Jalapeno beer

Marty Moskowitz

Jun 27, 2016, 1:08:32 PM6/27/16
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
I made a 2.5 gal batch Blonde Ale (now in primary) and want to make a jalapeno beer. Last time I made it, I added one jalapeno sliced lengthwise (seeds and all) to the secondary and while the beer was very good I want to kick up the heat a bit.

Does anyone have any recommendations? It doesn't have to been jalapeno. If you've had success with other peppers, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Marty

Shawn Sharrow

Jun 27, 2016, 1:12:56 PM6/27/16
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
What I did when I wanted to do a habanero infused beer is I made a tincture. I soaked a couple of peppers sliced in half in ~1 cup of vodka. Then I'd use an eyedropper to dose a single pint, and from there you could extrapolate out how much of your tincture to add to does the entire batch, or you can continue dosing one glass at a time.

Personally I like habanero for hoppy beers as in addition to heat that pepper has nice citrus flavors that play well with a lot of west-coast style hoppy beers. Might work well in a blonde as well.

Cheers,

-Shawn

Me

Jun 28, 2016, 2:26:05 AM6/28/16
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marty,
 This may be going the opposite direction than you want to go, sounds like you want more heat. I don't like pepper beers that are too spicy to drink much of so I have a technique I've used a number of times that gives a great complex pepper flavor and aroma but isn't too hot. I cut a blend of peppers in half and remove the seeds, then roast them on an open flame, then peeled off the skins and then put the peppers in a hop sack right in the keg. You could put it in your secondary if you wished for a few weeks. I used a couple of jalapeños, an Anaheim, poblano, Serrano and maybe some other peppers- basically a mix of whatever I could get my hands on.
Cheers, -Anthony Stone

Sent from my iPhone