Club Experiment Volunteers Needed

Andrew Richardson

Jun 26, 2015, 12:33:13 PM6/26/15
to belling...@googlegroups.com
Once again, the BHG will be brewing up a club experiment to serve at the Best of the Bay Awards Ceremony.  This year, we have decided to brew an American Pale Ale recipe where only the base malt is varied.  After a little deliberation, the recipe is...

American Pale Ale (5.5 gallons):
95% ??? base malt
5% 40L crystal malt
1.5 oz Cascades (60 min)
1 oz Cascades (10 min)
1 oz Cascades (2 min)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast
OG 1.050, 35 IBU, 4.9%ABV, color will vary depending on your choice of base malt

Please feel free to scale the recipe up or down to fit your system, but if you volunteer to brew it, please make sure you have at least 2 gallons (preferably kegged) ready to serve at the awards ceremony on Sunday, August 2.  If you would like to participate, but are unable to attend the ceremony, don't let that stop you.  I'm sure we can find someone to take your beer to the event.

I have about four pounds of homegrown Cascades left over from last year's harvest, so anyone that commits to brewing one of these beers for the event is welcome to have as much as they need for this batch.  Just let me know, and I will figure out a convenient way to get them to you.

So far we have commitments from myself and Craig.  If you would like to help us out, feel free to claim any of the unclaimed malts below (or add a new one) by using "reply all" and typing your name next to it.

2-row:   Andrew
Munich:  Craig
Pale:
Pilsner:
Alba:
Copeland:
Golden Promise:
Maris Otter:

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks!
Andrew

Neal Tognazzini

Jun 26, 2015, 1:35:57 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I'll volunteer for Maris Otter. And I'll also hit you up for your homegrown Cascades. I don't keg yet, though, so mine'll have to come in the form of 20ish bottles.

Maris Otter: Neal

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks!
Andrew

Jason Mantello

Jun 26, 2015, 1:41:50 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Neil, hit me up when your brew is done. i might have an extra keg at that time. i dont think i'll have time to brew one of these pales, but should have a 3 or 5 gallon keg i can get all charged up and ready to serve if need be.

Jenn Tadder

Jun 26, 2015, 1:49:27 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I'll do pilsner malt. If i have a keg free it'll be kegged if not it'll be in bottles. Are we going as far as doing the same water? -Jenn

Shawn Sharrow

Jun 26, 2015, 3:03:16 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

I can brew up a Copeland version. I have plenty of Cascades in my freezer and it would be easier for me to use those, but if you want uniformity with the hops I can use the home grown ones. I'd need enough for a 10 gallon batch though...

-Shawn

On Jun 26, 2015 10:49 AM, "Jenn Tadder" <jenn....@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll do pilsner malt. If i have a keg free it'll be kegged if not it'll be in bottles. Are we going as far as doing the same water? -Jenn

Andrew Richardson

Jun 26, 2015, 3:32:42 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Great!  So far we've got...

2-row:   Andrew
Munich:  Craig
Pale:
Pilsner:  Jenn
Alba:
Copeland:  Shawn
Golden Promise:
Maris Otter:  Neal

To answer a few of the questions that have come up.  While it would be great to try to be as scientific as possible by all sourcing the same water, Cascades, etc, I don't want to make this terribly inconvenient for anyone.  I'd say it's fine to use your regular water supply, and whatever Cascades you can get ahold of.  That being said, I have lots of Cascades here so I'd be happy to supply them for free, even for 10 gallon batches.  If most of you are planning on buying your other ingredients at North Corner, I can check with Robert to see if he will store some of my hops at the shop.  If so, you could just pick them up while you're there.
Andrew

Bill Arthurs

Jun 26, 2015, 3:44:59 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I'll throw in the possibility that I'll have a keg available - let me know if one is needed. To control the packaging variable it would be best if we could avoid bottling any of these.

Darren Clark

Jun 26, 2015, 6:29:35 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I'll handle Pale, resulting in:

2-row:   Andrew
Munich:  Craig
Pale:  Darren
Pilsner:  Jenn
Alba:
Copeland:  Shawn
Golden Promise:
Maris Otter:  Neal

...DC

Darren Clark

Jun 26, 2015, 6:48:37 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Returning to the original subject of the recipe.  I noticed that mash temp isn't listed.  I was thinking 150F.  Sound good?

Here's the latest list of experimenters:

2-row:   Andrew
Munich:  Craig
Pale:  Darren
Pilsner:  Jenn
Alba:  ????
Copeland:  Shawn
Golden Promise:
Maris Otter:  Neal

...DC

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Andrew Richardson <agrich...@gmail.com> wrote:

Andrew Richardson

Jun 26, 2015, 7:36:51 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
That sounds great!  One hundred fifty degrees Fahrenheit it is.
Andrew

Jenn Tadder

Jun 26, 2015, 9:29:44 PM6/26/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Matt said he would like to do golden promise.

Andrew Richardson

Jun 27, 2015, 1:52:29 PM6/27/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Robert said I can leave my hops at North Corner, so let me know if you want to use them and I will drop off some at the shop today.  Be sure to mention your batch size.  The volunteers now are:

2-row:   Andrew
Munich:  Craig
Pale:  Darren
Pilsner:  Jenn
Alba:  ????
Copeland:  Shawn
Golden Promise: Matt
Maris Otter:  Neal
Thanks,
Andrew

On Friday, June 26, 2015, Jenn Tadder <jenn....@gmail.com> wrote:
Matt said he would like to do golden promise.

Shawn Sharrow

Jun 27, 2015, 2:47:01 PM6/27/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

If you leave enough for a 10 gallon batch with Robert I can pick them up next week!

-Shawn

Joe Postma

Jun 27, 2015, 5:06:48 PM6/27/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com, belling...@googlegroups.com
Add Vienna to the list and sign me up for that.

Neal

Jun 27, 2015, 5:34:13 PM6/27/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I'll take enough Cascades for a 5.5 gallon batch. Thanks!

Neal

Robert Northcorner

Jul 23, 2015, 1:40:48 PM7/23/15
to HBG
Regarding the Single Malt Experiment:

Add 4 gals each:

German Wheat

Domestic Wheat

Also Craig would you coordinate a pick time for B-O-B goods, will need to reclain my cooler space ASAP....(shop:714-1186)

Thanks

-Robert
NORTH CORNER BREWING SUPPLY
www.northcornerbrewing.com

Craig Simons

Jul 24, 2015, 11:36:39 AM7/24/15
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild, north.corn...@gmail.com
Robert,

I should be able to pick up the entries today.  I'll swing by Elizabeth Station to pick them up.  If somebody could tell me where we're storing/sorting them before the competition, that would be great, otherwise they're coming home to my garage to get warm.

-Craig