Best of the Bay

Todd Quessenberry

May 14, 2015, 3:17:14 AM5/14/15
to belling...@googlegroups.com
If you’re interested in helping with put on a homebrew competition, read on.  If not, carry on.

Alright, we’re now starting to push things schedule wise for doing something even this summer, so it’s time to get serious.  At tomorrow’s club meeting we’ll discuss and set a day/time for planning committee meetings to start happening, hopefully next week.  We can also start working through getting some discussion and decisions made and roles assigned if you guys are interested.

I got a lot of questions last month about what sorts of tasks went into putting on our event.  Sorry it’s taken me a month to follow up with answers to that, but here we go.

The BJCP has written a pretty nice handbook on running a competition:

They’ve also published a Judge Procedure Manual which has information specific to the judging date:

A very nice presentation was done at NHC last year that I found informative and took notes on which I’ve shared here:

And finally, I attempted to collect together some of my notes and task lists of past years of the Best of the Bay of the things we’ve done:

As I’ve stated before, just because we’ve done something a certain way in the past doesn’t mean we can’t decide to change things up for the future.  One thing I’d definitely like to improve upon though is defining roles/positions up front, and assigning tasks to those positions.  I don’t care if those positions are jointly held by multiple people, or tasks are further delegated to other helpers, but they can’t just all get rolled up onto the ‘coordinator’.

So start looking these over and thinking about what you’d like to volunteer for!

Todd

Doug Burghart

May 14, 2015, 8:47:28 PM5/14/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

I won't be able to make it to the meeting tonight, but am willing to help with whatever.

Doug Burghart

May 16, 2015, 4:47:31 PM5/16/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
We discussed a few things on Thursday evening and settled on setting a separate competition committee meeting for next Thursday at 7pm.  Let’s meet in the back patio of Chuckanut as they generally tend to have plenty of space (and of course good beer).  If you’re interested in helping, please try to make this first meeting.  If you’re unable to attend but are interested in being involved, please let me know and I’ll keep you in the loop.

There will be two primary goals of the meeting.  The second is to establish dates, which will determine timelines.  The first is to finalize the committee roles and areas of responsibility and assign ownership to them.  These are things like Location Coordinator, Cellar Master, Judging Coordinator, Sponsorship/Prizes, Award Ceremony Coordinator, Head Steward, Office Manager, etc. If one of these areas interests you and you’re unable to attend the meeting, please let me know before hand.

See you Thursday,
Todd
389-3492