Learn to Homebrew Day

Todd Quessenberry

Oct 17, 2014, 11:24:44 PM10/17/14
to belling...@googlegroups.com
The annual AHA 'Learn to Homebrew Day' is coming soon.  We're going to move the official date out a week to be more conducive to our event host's schedule and will be holding an event on Saturday November 8.  From the AHA - "The goal of LTHD is to teach our non-brewer friends the art of making beer at home".  Anyone interested can setup their brew systems in Chris Brehm's yard for a big group brew.  It's a great opportunity to brew communally, and to learn first hand about the different equipment, processes and techniques that your fellow brewers are using.  We encourage you to invite your friends that are not already homebrewers but are interested in learning more about the process to stop by during the day and ask questions.  As in the past, the club will be providing food, homebrew is alway appreciated.

All-grain brewers will typically start around 9am, and some will still be brewing at least until 6pm.  If you're planning on brewing, you're welcome to setup and brew on whatever schedule works for you, and if you've just coming to learn, stop by at any point during the day and brewers will be at different stages.  If anyone's interested in putting on any specific brewing demonstrations or assisting with getting the word out to non-brewers, please contact me.  There's also lots of extra equipment owned by club members if you need help putting together a more portable system for the day.

Speaking of both local ingredients, big brews, and club comps, I'm hoping to have some 2-row from Skagit Valley Malting available for use at the Learn to Homebrew event.  Maybe you'd like to take this as a divine opportunity to make a SMaSH beer showcasing the flavor of locally grown malt!  I'll follow up with more information and a chance to call dibs on some malt when I get confirmation that it's actually happening, but I wanted to give people a chance to start thinking about it.

Todd

Todd Quessenberry

Oct 23, 2014, 11:28:29 PM10/23/14
to belling...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for one, or possibly two volunteers to do a scheduled "Beginning Brewing" demonstration targeted at people who are not brewers.  Definitely one that is an extract batch with steeping grains (as many of us got our start with), and possibly a simple all-grain brew-in-a-bag batch.  They should be small (2-3 gallon) batches in order to keep the time frame short(ish) and attempt to keep hold of the potential audience's attention.  This would involve talking to strangers and walking them through the brew process, keeping things in the simplest possible terms.  In exchange for your service, North Corner will sponsor your ingredients, and you get free beer!  Who's interested in helping with some outreach?

Todd

Justin Norris

Oct 24, 2014, 12:00:04 AM10/24/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

You can sign me up, I'd love to help inspire budding brewers.

Cheers,
Justin Norris
theartofpour.com

Todd Quessenberry

Oct 24, 2014, 7:38:11 PM10/24/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Justin!
Anyone else interested in doing a demonstration batch so we can have both extract and all-grain demonstrations going?

Todd

Todd Quessenberry

Nov 1, 2014, 3:15:21 PM11/1/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
As a further incentive to encourage you guys to bring non-brewing friends to learn the joys of our hobby, North Corner is offering some free ingredients.  If you're planning on bringing someone new to the event next Saturday, when you purchase recipe ingredients between now and then just let Robert (or whoever's working) know you've got someone lined up to come and your base malt or extract is free!  Offer is limited as a perk to official club members, and recipe sizes of ~5gal batches (sorry Gan, I don't think he wants to give you an entire sack).

Also, we've put the extract brewing demonstration on the schedule for 1pm, so if you have friends or acquaintances interested in the short and easy intro to brewing, tell them to target that time.

Michael

Nov 1, 2014, 4:33:47 PM11/1/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like a two sack day to me! Thanks, Robert! :)

Robert Northcorner

Nov 2, 2014, 2:33:47 PM11/2/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com, belling...@googlegroups.com
We created an event on the shop's facebook page feel free to share and add info/photos from previous years to the event wall.