BJCP Tasting Class & Exam

Neal Tognazzini

Dec 12, 2017, 12:04:22 PM12/12/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Anyone interested in honing their tasting skills, improving their beer vocabulary, and getting intimately acquainted with the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines? If so, here are two upcoming events for you.

1. Starting in mid-January, I'll be leading a weekly tasting class and discussion group, in which we'll learn about the mechanics of the BJCP judging process and taste commercial examples of almost every style in the guidelines. Together we'll aim to develop our beer tasting vocabulary, and improve our palates. Meetings will probably take place on Tuesday evenings starting at 7pm, though the finalized schedule will come later once we find a place to meet. The cost of the class will be $100 per person. Existing BJCP judges who take the class are eligible to receive continuing education points.

2. For those who are interested in joining (or continuing to climb) the ranks of the BJCP, once the class is over I'll be offering a BJCP Tasting Exam on Saturday March 17th. You do not have to take the class in order to sit for the exam, and you do not have to commit to the exam in order to take the class, but one of the goals of the class will be to prepare people for the exam. The exam itself is $40 for non-BJCP judges, and $10 for existing BJCP judges who would like to retake the exam for a better score.

Speaking from personal experience: studying for and taking the BJCP tasting exam can be really educational, a ton of fun, and a direct route to brewing better beer. Plus, the Guild can always use more qualified judges for our annual homebrew competition. So definitely consider joining us! More info about the BJCP exam here.

If you are interested in either the class or the exam (or both), let me know so that I can get your name on the list before the spots fill up. I'll also be at the club meeting this Thursday if you want to chat more about any of this.

Thanks,
Neal

Jason Mantello

Dec 12, 2017, 12:32:37 PM12/12/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
definitely interested in #1. any idea how many weeks this would run?

Neal Tognazzini

Dec 12, 2017, 12:59:50 PM12/12/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Cool! Would be fun to have you there. Right now I'm thinking 8, maybe 9 weeks.

Neal

Josh Cihak

Dec 12, 2017, 1:23:13 PM12/12/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I'm very interested in taking the class, you can count me in as long as the dates work out, and tuesdays at 7pm would work fine.

Josh Cihak

Jenn Tadder

Dec 13, 2017, 9:27:52 AM12/13/17
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
I really want to do both.

gregjro...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2017, 11:56:13 AM12/13/17
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
I'd like to take the class.

Doug Burghart

Dec 13, 2017, 12:48:29 PM12/13/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com, Neal Tognazzini
I am also interested Neal.

Doug B.

Craig Simons

Dec 13, 2017, 2:50:33 PM12/13/17
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
 I'm interested in both.  I don't know how Tuesday evenings will work out for me just yet, but I tentatively can make it at that time.

Jeff Jones

Dec 14, 2017, 12:13:21 PM12/14/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in both, Neal. Thanks for coorinating this, and making it available.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Neal Tognazzini