Fwd: www.wahomebrewers.org: Beerstock 5060-6

1 view

Justin Bajema

Mar 15, 2015, 7:56:11 PM3/15/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
FYI
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: WAHA Contact Form <wah...@wahomebrewers.org>
Date: Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 8:09 AM
Subject: www.wahomebrewers.org: Beerstock 5060-6
To: <justin...@gmail.com>

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.wahomebrewers.org/ from:
Alison <aliba...@aol.com>

BEERSTOCK INFORMATION:
(more information will be added as it is available.)
BEERSTOCK 5060-6 Saturday, July 18, 2015
(please share this information with your club members)

If your club is interested in attending and setting up a booth,
please contact Alison at AShe...@aol.com so she can put you on the list.
Note:  You don’t have to set up a booth to attend, that’s just a bonus.

WHAT IS BEERSTOCK 5060?:
In the summer of 2009 Beerstock 5060 was the first, legal get-together of Washington homebrew clubs to taste each other’s home brew and talk brewing across home brew club lines. Thanks to the passing of Bill 5060, as of July 26th, 2009 it is now legal to have this type of event. Whoo, hoo!  Yes, it’s a homebrew beer fest.

You may not know this, but each year the Joy’s choose an underlying theme.  This year the theme is Carnivale, so expect the check-in booth to be festive.  There will be games and entertainment that will go  along with the theme.  (You may be inspired by the theme, but of course, you need not follow our lead.  Your club is welcome to decorate their booth and club members  in any way you’d like.)

We are grateful to all of the clubs that answered our call and have offered to help with Beerstock 5060-6.

LOCATION:
South of Seattle at a private Ski Park near Orting, Washington.
Address:  17299 S. Pioneer Way, Orting, WA 98360
http://www.skiparklake.com
(If you have questions please contact Alison, not  the park.)

BEERSTOCK 5060-6 OFFICIALLY STARTS serving beer at 1:00 pm, July 18, 2015:
-Booth set-up starts at noon
-2:00 pm: organized opening toast in an official Beerstock 5060-6 taster glass
-Blinded By No-One will perform, along with other festive performances.
-6:00 pm: Pot Luck, bring a side dish, snacks, dessert, salad, etc. Food made with beer welcomed.
-Bratwurst provided by Rotary (the money they make goes to fight Polio)
-Plenty of room for camping and RV’s (no hook-ups)

BRINGING BEER TO SERVE:
Each club may bring as many different brewed beverages as they’d like to share.  It is up to each club to organize this.  You can bring beer in bottles, kegs, or whatever.  You can bring a lot or a little.   (Last year I went through three gallons of the ale I brought.)  All homebrewed beverages are welcome, such as, ale, lager, mead, braggot, soda, sours, gueuze, wine, ciders or big hop bombs--it’s up to you.

It is not required that all attendees bring a homebrewed beverage, but taste buds are a must.

There will be one booth per homebrew club (just like last time). Each club is responsible for their own jockey boxes and/or dispensing set-ups, signs, table, chairs, water, ice and shade tent.  It’s nice for attendees to know what beer you’re serving, so some tape and an easily seen sign is exceptionally helpful.  Please bring water for rinsing glasses, too.  Feel free to decorate your booth to suit your fancy.

BOOTH SET-UP  STARTS at noon:
If your club is setting up a booth, please plan to come with plenty of time to set-up your booth.  (You may come  earlier if you need to.)  Drive in, follow signs and unload your gear by your booth.  After you are unloaded, please move your vehicle to the parking area.  No vehicles are to be left around the booth area.  During the event we must keep the area open for a fire lane.  Safety first!   Don’t forget to eat lunch, we suggest bringing a sack lunch for munching on during set-up.  (Rumor has it cheese is good to eat before consuming alcoholic beverages--it slows down the alcohol absorption rate.)  Consider hydrating liquids, such as, water and beverages with electrolytes.

THINGS YOU’LL NEED TO BRING:
Please bring something for the pot luck dinner.  Sausages will be sold by the Rotary Club.  There will not be plug-in’s available.  You may bring a contained grill, as long as it does not drop ash or grease on the ground.  As always, clean up after you leave, and please don’t dump spent charcoal, grease or trash. The check-in booth has a few metal pieces that can be put under a grill to protect the lawn.

If you want to rest your haunches while you savor a brew, bring a chair.  You’ll want to bring things like sunscreen, bug spray, tent and warm cloths for the evening. Bring any water or non-alcoholic beverages you’d like to drink.  Please, bring your own rinse water and ice. You'll need cash or checks for various things, such as, sausages, donating to the entertainment, Beer Supply Garage Sale, Beer Art Sale, T-shirts, etc.  (The check-in booth does not accept credit-cards.)

You will need to bring a flashlight and battery powered lighting for your booth at night.  There are no available plug-ins.  Hint:  Ace Hardware has round, battery-powered, hanging LED lamps that illuminate a fairly wide area.  Things like this will be needed.  There will be a little light around the band, but your taps will need to be lit by you after dark descends.  The band will be using the only electricity available.

We are hoping for a couple of clubs to attend from Canada.  They will be able to bring beer, but can’t take it back over the border.  So, bring growlers so they don’t have to pour out any left over beer.  A beautiful beer should never be wasted, but a beer drinker should.  hee hee

This is a beautiful park, so remember that if you pack it in, PACK IT OUT.

CHOOSING THE BEERS, CIDERS, MEADS, WINES YOU BRING:
This is entirely up to you and your club.  Bring as many or as few as you desire.  If you only have a 4 tap jockey box and 8 beers to serve, split the time in half and ring a bell or dance a jig or yodel to draw attention to the fact that you are switching out kegs.

WEB SITE:
We will, once again, have a yahoo groups web site that will just post THIS information about Beerstock 5060-6 and a few photos.  You will need a yahoo email address to get onto the site, but don’t’ worry, it’s free and easy to get one.  After you join the Beerstock web site, you can change your email address to your usual one, if you would like.  Google “yahoo groups” .  Click on groups yahoo and “search” Beerstock 5060.  Most of the information you’ll need is contained in these pages.  If you have questions not answered here, contact Alison at AShe...@aol.com.

CHECK-IN DESK:
In the middle of the event will be a sign-in booth.  You will see it as you walk from the parking area.  Please check-in immediately after you’ve parked, the signs will guide you.  First you will fill out a name tag with your name and club affiliation. Next you will need to sign a short waiver stating your club affiliation, that you are at least 21 years of age (bring yer ID), list beverages brought and read various other safety details.  (The waiver will be emailed to all club reps so that club members can see it ahead of time--saving reading time at the check-in desk.)  Beerstock staff will then give you a taster glass and serve you your first homebrew and release you to roam club booths and sample various concoctions  all day and night.

$$$:
To keep this legal, Beerstock 5060  is an invitation only event that is sponsored by Washington homebrew clubs.  We are asking each club to collect an in-kind donation of $20.00 per person attending.  Your club’s Beerstock Representative will collect money from his/her members and mail it to Mark and Alison before or after the event.  We would prefer to not collect money at the event--this is not a ticketed event--selling tickets would be  illegal. However, if you bring a check for your clubs donation, Alison can easily store  it at the check-in booth.

What will your donation get you?  To start with, a wonderful day surrounded by great people and fantastic beer.  You will also get to listen to a few awesome bands and see fun entertainment.  Your donation covers parking and camping.  We are excited to announce that we will once again have glass taster glasses with the Beerstock 5060 logo that are provided to all who attend! We’ll provide plates, napkins and silverware for the pot luck dinner.  Swag may or may not be part of this year’s event and your donation covers the check-in desk’s needs & prizes. At the suggestion of last year’s attendees, we are going to rent extra porta-potties.  We will try again to get one near the tents and one will be reserved just for use in the morning.  Thanks to Cole and Sarah of the Stilly Mashers and In The Shadow Brewing for helping with porta-potty rental and taster glasses ordering.  (I probably shouldn’t have put those two jobs in the same category.)

Any left-over money will be donated, (of which there is usually very little).  We do not do this for the money.  We do it because we love bringing all of you together and seeing your happy faces as you drink savory homebrewed beverages.

RULES, AGE, CHILDREN & OTHER SPECIFICS:
To keep this event legal, we are officially inviting each homebrew club to this private party that is called Beerstock 5060-6.  Each attendee must be a homebrew club member or guest of said homebrew club.   (See Club of the Unaffiliated, below.) Each club member may bring one guest, such as, a spouse, partner, designated driver, homebrewing intrigued friend, etc.    All attendees must be, at least, 21 years old to drink.

There are a few homebrewers who have requested bringing their young children and it has worked well in the past.  You may do this, but they must remain under your care at all times.  This is an adult event with lots of people drinking.  Consider this when making your decision.  We also ask that the adults, at all times, be considerate of the children in attendance.  No under age drinking will be tolerated.

CLUB OF THE UNAFFILIATED:
If you are a homebrewer, are not in a homebrew club, and would like to attend Beerstock 5060-6, you may join the Club of the Unaffiliated.  The Washington Homebrew Association has graciously offered to have a jockey box available for those who are not attached to a club.  First, you will need to email Mark at marke...@yahoo.com and/or  Peter at peter...@gmail.com.  They will collect a list with other new members of the “Club of the Unaffilated”.  They will keep contact with the new members and inform them of when to arrive, etc.  Last  year this worked well, and many of these folks ended up having so much fun they joined local clubs in the area after Beerstock.  A couple of homebrewers wanted to come but didn’t have any beer ready.  They “joined” the  Club of the Unafilliated by emailing Mark and/or  Peter and were able to attend.

BOOTHS:
As stated previously, your club may decorate your booth however you like.  The booths will be organized in a big circle.  Booths will have a 12 foot span across the front.  Some booth locations are deeper than others but all are at least 12 x 12 feet.  A big thanks goes out to the North Seattle Homebrew Club for helping with Beerstock’s Pre-set up the day before the event.

Each club who sets up a booth will get a bag of swag.  A big thanks goes to Andre, who is a member of CHUG, for helping collect swag for Beerstock.

ROTARY:
Last year the local Rotary club sold tickets to their members to raise money for Polio.  We felt this worked well.  There’s one thing there’s always plenty of at Beerstock, it’s Beer, so why not have a few more people attend?  It’s wonderful when homebrew is enjoyed and at the same time can also help those in need.  Rotary will be doing the same rundraiser this year.  They will also be selling sausages to all attendees and possibly taking on breakfast (this is up in the air, right now).  It’s wonderful to have their help with this event.  (The owners of the park are Rotary Club Members, this is where the connection began.)

WEATHER:
July is usually warm and sunny so bring sunscreen, but remember to bring warm cloths for the evening.  Last year I was “feeling HOT, HOT, HOT” even when sitting in the shade.  My heart goes out to Mrs. Sasquatch, she must have been sweating up a storm.   Some folks got a little dehydrated, so plan carefully and drink water along with the lovely beer you consume.  If it is raining, bring an umbrella and water-proof shoes.  If it’s windy tie down your tent/shelter poles to gallon jugs and party-on.

FIRE & GRILLS:
No open flames or fire-pits allowed.  The owners might provide one free-standing fire, but otherwise, fires are prohibited.  This is a beautiful, pristine park, please leave it as clean as you found it.  For example, smoking cigarettes is allowed, but PLEASE put butts in a can or an ashtray.  This reminds me of a bumpersticker I saw recently “Keep your butt off the ground, the earth is not your ashtray.”  Ha ha.

Gas grills are fine.  Please bring something to put under them so that grease does not get on the ground.   If you must bring a charcoal grill, you’ll need to cool down your coals and take them with you when you leave.  Please don’t dump ash or coal.  Thanks.  The check-in booth has a few metal plates for under grills, if needed.

BAND & ENTERTAINMENT:
We are happy to have the band, Blinded By No-One” lead by Jason from BREW.  They will entertain us between announcements and samplings with classic rock to hearken back to Woodstock, the event that inspired the name Beerstock. Many other Carnivale styled entertainments are in the works.  Of course, much fun will be spontaneously created by you, other entertainment will be planned by Mark Joy.  BREW has generously offered to organize games for your enjoyment, so don’t miss their booth.

HAVE YOUR BEER EVALUATED:
We are happy that the club WIZA has offered to organize this part of Beerstock.  BJCP beer judges roam the event and be identified by their Free Range Judge badges.  (Look for a chicken.)  They will be happy to give feedback and helpful advice (if needed) on your beer.  The Free Range Judges will be roaming the event, sharing their useful knowledge and service with those interested.  If you have a beer that you think might do well in competition but don’t know what category to place it in, ask the Free Range Judges.  If you have a beer you brewed that you’d like to change in a certain way but don’t know how, ask the Free Range Judges.  If you just want to hear their opinion or you want to surprise their pallets, ask a Free Range Judge to sample your home brewed beverage.  This is a great way to learn.  Beware of Expanding Head Syndrome, if you impress Beerstock’s Free Range Judges they just might pump up your ego.

TRASH:
The club Puyallup Brew Crew has offered to help with this aspect of Beerstock 5060-6.  We will have trash cans at various locations, along with recycling bins and plastic silverware collection boxes.  (I clean and sterilize the silverware each year.)  Please keep Mother Earth in mind when throwing things in the trash and recycling bins.

Sunday morning, if you have room in your vehicle, please take a trash bag or two.  We will have them by a sign next to the road.  We are grateful to those who so graciously helped by taking trash last year.  You have officially been awarded Beerstock spirit points.

DOGS:
Friendly dogs are welcome at this park in Orting as long as you keep them with you on a leash and scoop their poop.  Yes, they must remain on a leash at all times and be well behaved.  Please be mindful, there were a few complaints last year.  As owner, you are responsible for their actions, well-being and enjoyment of the event.  Bring your own plastic baggies for poop scooping.  Trash cans are available in various locations around the event.

CAMPING AVAILABLE:
You are more than welcome to camp, in fact, we encourage it.  This is a large park with beautiful, flat, green lawns.  Don’t forget your flashlight.  If you think you might be camping, let your Beerstock Club Rep know, so he/she can inform us.  (As requested, we’ll try to put one of the porta-potties near the camping area.)

NOTE:  The camping area is for sleeping.  If you want to keep partying, please do it in the Beerstock booth circle.  Even with a glorious buzz on, please be considerate of those sleeping around you.

CAMPER TRAILERS/ RV’s & PARKING:
Great news!  There is room for camper trailers & RV’s. There are no RV hook-ups available.

There will be signs showing you where to park your campers or trailers at the back end of the parking lot.  There will be maps showing where to park, camp, set-up, etc. at the check-in desk along the road you enter upon.  Thanks to Lori and GEBL for offering to help with parking and signs.

Please, no camping, drinking or tap-dancing on the putting greens.

Please, carpool as much as possible.

BEERSTOCK 5060-6, Saturday, July 18, 2015

P.S.  More information will be added to this Beerstock Information list as time draws near.
Please share this with your club members.