Keg Cutting Jig

Brett Piepel

Jun 19, 2015, 3:00:33 PM6/19/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I'm looking to see if anyone has a jig to cut the top out of a keg to make it into a keggle. I was looking to build a jig but figured I'd ask before going to the trouble.

Thanks!

Chris Baker

Jun 20, 2015, 12:53:40 AM6/20/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Just cut wheel that puppy off.

Chris Baker
artisan alloys
360-303-7401

Brett Piepel

Jun 22, 2015, 12:14:17 PM6/22/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
That's the plan! Got a grinder and wheels. Just lookin for a jig to help make the whole nice and not all jagged

Michael

Jun 22, 2015, 12:45:11 PM6/22/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
We did ours by hand and they're pretty well circular, smooth, and safe. You can clean up the edges after cutting. Was surprisingly quick.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Brett Piepel <piep...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's the plan! Got a grinder and wheels. Just lookin for a jig to help make the whole nice and not all jagged

Gary Gamel

Jun 22, 2015, 12:58:09 PM6/22/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

If you want a lid for your kettle, I recommend going to Goodwill or some other second hand store buy a lid and trace around the outside on to the keg with a felt tip marker.

Chris Baker

Jun 23, 2015, 11:14:29 AM6/23/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
A jig saw works well for that as well. A lot less sparks to the face that way 👍

Chris Denny

Jun 23, 2015, 12:15:25 PM6/23/15
to belling...@googlegroups.com
C4 also works

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:14:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [BHG] Keg Cutting Jig
From: artisa...@gmail.com
To: Belling...@googlegroups.com

A jig saw works well for that as well. A lot less sparks to the face that way Thumbs up sign

Doug Burghart

Jun 23, 2015, 2:49:59 PM6/23/15
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I used my sawzall with some cutting oil / metal blades so it didn't burn up too many blades.  Of course, you first have to drill a hole to get the blade started.  Not perfect, but it had enough power since stainless steel is very hard to cut.  I've heard a plasma torch is the way to go if one has access to that sort of equipment.

Doug

Jun 23, 2015, 4:32:28 PM6/23/15
to HBG
I've also used a sawzall.   Get 2 bitmetal blades, oil helps.  Ear protection!  Drill a starter hole.  Cut and use a grinder (the little 4-4.5" ones) to smooth out.  Also if you do not absolutely need full volume (mash tun for example) you can can cut around the outer perimeter (circumference) for a  low profile finish, but you lose the handles.

-Robert

NORTH CORNER BREWING SUPPLY
www.northcornerbrewing.com