Call for volunteers for the Best of the Bay

Bellingham Homebrewers Guild

Jun 30, 2016, 10:28:25 AM6/30/16
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
Our annual homebrew competition and festival is coming up fast -- with judging happening August 5/6 and the festival on August 7 -- and it's shaping up to be another great event. We are never able to pull this off without the help of many dedicated local volunteers, though, so once again, we need your help!

We'd like to gather a list of people who are willing to help out, so if that's you, just reply to this email with a 'YES', and we'll get you on the list.

Here is some more detail about what we'll need help with. When you respond, feel free to state a preference if you have one. You're also welcome to volunteer for more than one position.

Stewards: These are people who bring beer from the fridge to the judges' tables during the competition, and are essential to the success of the judging days. We'll need some Friday August 5th from 6-9pm and Saturday August 6th from 9-noon or 1-4pm. We'll need 4 people per session. We can also use 1 extra person each day to be a general assistant (help organize, picking up food, put score packages together, etc).

Judges: You don't have to be an "official" BJCP judge to serve as a judge in the competition. If you have any interest in learning the ins and outs of putting words to the sensations on your palate, this is a great opportunity to start that process. The best way to improve your own homebrew is to learn how to judge.

Festival Set-up and Take-down: Our festival from 11am-3pm on Sunday August 7 will be in the Boundary Bay Annex Garden just like last year, and we'll need 4-5 people to help get things set up ahead of time (tables, taps, etc.), and 4-5 people to help break things down afterward. Setup starts at 10am, and we should be done cleaning up by 4pm.

Festival greeters/check-in: The festival is a fundraiser for the club, so we'll need some help taking payments at the door, handing out the tasting glasses, and just generally giving festival-goers an enthusiastic welcome. We're hoping to get 4 people who will each sign up for a one-hour shift.

Again, a big thanks for helping us to pull this event off. Homebrewers from around the area think well of this competition, and we're hoping to keep it that way!

Jenn Tadder

Jun 30, 2016, 2:47:18 PM6/30/16
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
Yes,steward and festival break down

Dustin Sellinger

Jun 30, 2016, 5:45:24 PM6/30/16
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild, Belling...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Steward (or helper) Friday or Sat 1-4, greeter from 2pm on and Takedown.

Randy Newton

Jul 8, 2016, 10:51:50 AM7/8/16
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
Yes, greeter or judge.

Joe Postma

Jul 23, 2016, 8:48:22 AM7/23/16
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the volunteers so far! I'm going to coordinate what we have and find out if there are any spots where we need more help.

In the meantime, is there anyone who has access to 6 folding tables that we can borrow for the judging days (Aug 5&6)? We've rented them in the past, but it'd be great if we could save on the expense.

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Randy Newton <puttki...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, greeter or judge.

dougburghart

Jul 23, 2016, 1:38:57 PM7/23/16
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I have a couple of folding tables you can borrow.   I can be available for volunteering.  Probably the day of the competition would work best for me.

Doug B

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Jeff Jones

Jul 24, 2016, 4:02:10 AM7/24/16
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I also have a couple of folding tables to loan. I already volunteered to run the sound system at the event (with music), and would love to help with judging as needed.

Andrew Richardson

Aug 6, 2016, 6:04:26 PM8/6/16
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,
I just wanted to check in and see if you were still planning on doing the set up for the sounds system tomorrow.  It is the same system you set up last year.  Also, if you could provide the phone (or iPad?) for the music, that would be awesome.  We are planning on starting set up at 10am, for an 11 am start.
Thanks,
Andrew

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 1:02 AM, 'Jeff Jones' via Bellingham Homebrewers Guild <Belling...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I also have a couple of folding tables to loan. I already volunteered to run the sound system at the event (with music), and would love to help with judging as needed.

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM, 'dougburghart' via Bellingham Homebrewers Guild

Andrew Richardson