Grain Mill

Jeremy Birklid

Nov 29, 2014, 5:41:11 PM11/29/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Looking to buy a mill on the cheap.  Any tips on what to stay away from and what to steer toward?  One tempting look was a KitchenAid attachment (worried that it might crap out on me, though at 10-12 lbs per batch):
(I brew about six 5-gallon batches a year. I'm looking into growing barley and/or buying in bulk).

Thanks!

Jeremy Birklid

Robert Tierney

Nov 29, 2014, 6:05:37 PM11/29/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

I have a Monster Mill MM-2 and had a Corona. The Corona was rough - hand cranking 12lbs a batch took a lot. Once I got the grind set, it worked fine enough, though.

As to the Monster Mill, I'm not really satisfied with its ability to hold gap - I have to be setting the lock screws wrong, as it doesn't even make it through a batch without needing adjustment.

Whatever you pick up, make sure it has a decent sized hopper, as reloading mid-grind is tiresome.

KitchenAid might not have enough adjustment range to be usable.

Shawn Sharrow

Nov 29, 2014, 6:06:20 PM11/29/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

I have read a lot of people on a budget go with what is called a carona mill. I haven't heard of many people using a kitchen aid attachment which is in itself telling of how well it does (or more specifically doesn't) work for grinding gain for brewing. I personally have a monster mill 2 and I love it but I brew once a week so the investment to me was worth it.

-Shawn

On Nov 29, 2014 2:41 PM, "Jeremy Birklid" <jdbi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Shawn Sharrow

Nov 29, 2014, 6:09:28 PM11/29/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com

Robert, I know a lot of people swap out the screws that it comes with regular bolts. I was having the same issue as you but I have taken to using some pliers to get an extra 1/4 turn of tightening down on them and haven't had the gap wander open on me since.

-Shawn

Jeremy Birklid

Nov 29, 2014, 6:41:04 PM11/29/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
These are great responses!  I might go with the Carona, but modify it to be used with a screw gun or a small motor.  It would be a first for me, but sounds like fun to try.

Jeremy Reeves

Nov 30, 2014, 2:07:20 AM11/30/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I hope i'm not overshooting the "budget" part, but I've been happy with the Barley Crusher.  It's adjustable and fits perfectly on top of a bucket (with little knobbies to hold it tight).  I think there are a couple of other cleverly named mills that are sub $150 (Cereal Killer is $99 i think).  Spending a little more up front might go well for you if you want to buy in bulk, even if you might only brew 5-6 times a year.  Ultimately its about having one more piece of the puzzle in your control.

Cheers,
JER

Robert Tierney

Nov 30, 2014, 2:21:16 AM11/30/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip, Shawn! Like I said, I was never disappointed with
the Corona - I knew the score with regards to cranking effort before I
bought it and was just looking to upgrade to something I can motorize.
If you can motorize a Corona, it'd be a handy bit for a good price.
Look around online - I think there's something about putting washers
between the plate holders in order to gain a reasonable gap.