Farmstrong's SVM showcase day

Jason Mantello

Mar 20, 2017, 3:52:46 PM3/20/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
As a follow up the the announcement I made last meeting about Farmstrong's event on 4/1, check the following link:

They'll be making a big batch of wort for anyone to take away (hot) and a contest for those to then enter that beer into. Very cool.

Also, the brewery will have many different beers on tap all made a SVM malt by local breweries. AND they're offering tours of the SVM facility just down the road. Looks like a great time!

darin hamm

Mar 22, 2017, 12:42:36 PM3/22/17
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
I've never done something like this before. How long after the wort is picked up would someone need to brew. Is it ok to let it sit for a few days or does it need to be rushed home and completed?

Dustin Sellinger

Mar 22, 2017, 12:47:40 PM3/22/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I think that if you were to boil it once home then any infection it picked up would be dealt with then, as long as it didn't develop any off flavors in the warm/transport window.

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 9:42 AM, darin hamm <dari...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've never done something like this before. How long after the wort is picked up would someone need to brew. Is it ok to let it sit for a few days or does it need to be rushed home and completed?

Michael

Mar 22, 2017, 2:30:14 PM3/22/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
It would start fermenting with the wild yeast from the grain if given too much time.

I have a beer on tap right now that was purposefully done in that matter and tastes like a berliner weisse, sooooo....

:)

Dustin Sellinger

Mar 22, 2017, 9:36:52 PM3/22/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dustin,
Yes, straight out of the Mash tun. It will be boiled, so you will need a way to transport it hot.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Katrina Armstrong
Farmstrong Brewing Co.
110 Stewart Road
Mount Vernon, Wa, 98273

So should be sterile if they are boiling it after the mash. (but so many other questions after her response)

Michael

Mar 22, 2017, 10:19:03 PM3/22/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
So boiled but not hopped? OK...

Jason Mantello

Mar 23, 2017, 1:33:16 AM3/23/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing a quick 10ish min boil to sanitize

Jeremy Reeves

Mar 23, 2017, 1:51:47 AM3/23/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I do believe the plan is to bring the temp up to sanitize, but the boiling and hopping will be up to you!

JER

darin hamm

Mar 27, 2017, 1:58:15 PM3/27/17
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
Anyone planning to go down for this? I can't go but would like to get my igloo container in the hands of someone who is to get me some wort.

Matt Anderson

Mar 30, 2017, 2:56:12 PM3/30/17
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
I will be going, but only have my plastic fermenter bucket and 30 qt boil kettle for transferring the hot wort. Does anyone have a corny keg or other vessel that would be more appropriate for transferring the wort (~180 F)?

Darin,

I could potentially fill your igloo container, but would you be ok with giving me ~5 gallons of wort from it?

darin hamm

Mar 31, 2017, 12:24:16 AM3/31/17
to Bellingham Homebrewers Guild
I have made arrangements for someone to mine for me. I'm just going to use my brew kettle, bungie the lid on, put a towel under and hope for no spillage!

Does anyone have more information on the grain build than they give? Like what those grains they are using are comparable to?

Jeremy Reeves

Mar 31, 2017, 11:50:30 AM3/31/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
I don't have the grain bill, but I was told we're aiming for an amber color. I'll see if I can grab that info today.

JER

On Mar 30, 2017 9:24 PM, "darin hamm" <dari...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have made arrangements for someone to mine for me. I'm just going to use my brew kettle, bungie the lid on, put a towel under and hope for no spillage!

Does anyone have more information on the grain build than they give? Like what those grains they are using are comparable to?

Jeremy Reeves

Mar 31, 2017, 12:10:21 PM3/31/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Grain bill is as follows:
1200lbs NZ151
50lbs Dark 30

I haven't seen/used the NZ151 so I'm not too sure where it falls on the color scale.  We have noticed that SVM tends to give our beer a richer and darker color when compared to the same recipe using commercial grain.

JER

Jason Mantello

May 3, 2017, 2:20:44 PM5/3/17
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
hey guys,
according to Jeremy Reeves, if anyone is entering beers into Farmstrong's SVM beer contest (from the free wort giveaway), beers need to dropped off by tomorrow. i'm unable to get down there, though i could get some bottled if anyone is free. let me know.