Keg Decisions

Neal Tognazzini

Sep 16, 2014, 10:59:49 PM9/16/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone -- Neal here, one of the new guys at last week's meeting. I've been brewing for about 3 years, but haven't yet started kegging. I think the time has come. So, three questions for the experts out there. (Hope this is an appropriate use of the Google Group.)

1. Ball or Pin?
2. Where do I buy/refill CO2 tanks?
3. Does anyone have any kegs they are interested in getting rid of?

Thanks in advance,

Neal

Robert Tierney

Sep 17, 2014, 10:46:13 AM9/17/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
1. Whichever is easier to get ahold of, for you. Off-hand, I know new
ball lock kegs are available, whereas I have not seen (and have not
sought) new pin locks advertised.
2. Buy a used tank if you can find one - most of the shops just swap
tanks, so a new tank can be a total waste. Praxair, Airgas, and
Central Welding Supply all do tank swaps; CWS is reported to be the
cheapest.
3. Maybe, if you're interested in ball lock. Need to clean them, though.

Jason Mantello

Sep 17, 2014, 10:56:38 AM9/17/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
because of space issues in my fridge, i use pin locks (theyre shorter). in general, you can find pin locks cheaper, too, though they rarely come with pressure relief valves on the lid (the gas-out post works fine for this function). you CAN find them new. check this link:
im a big fan of the new 3gal pin locks they sell

Robert at North Corner usually has a pretty good supply of kegs. they might be slightly more than what you can find online, but no waiting and no shipping charges, which can add up quickly when buying a bunch.

heres another good supply of kegs:
their 4 packs are a solid deal.

beyond that, craigslist is your friend.

as Robert said, CWS does seem the cheapest (i just found out about them). added bonus: they open on saturdays. i dont believe Prax or Airgas are open then.

Darren Clark

Sep 17, 2014, 11:30:07 AM9/17/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com
Regarding kegs, configure a craigslist alert and you'll soon be alerted to a guy in Olympia who sells both pin lock and ball lock kegs at the best prices I've seen.  If making the trip to Olympia is a deal breaker for you, consider this group as allies - for instance, I go through Olympia 3-4 times a year and would pick up some kegs if you needed them and I'm sure others in BHG would do you the same favor.

...DC

Walter Benoit

Sep 17, 2014, 7:08:17 PM9/17/14
to Belling...@googlegroups.com