Whoops...

Robert Tierney

Jun 14, 2017, 6:19:39 PM6/14/17
to belling...@googlegroups.com
I dimpled a tank at work. See attached.
Snapchat-553637846.jpg

Robert Tierney

Jun 15, 2017, 3:52:03 AM6/15/17
to belling...@googlegroups.com
Now that I am not at work, where I am still gainfully employed and trusted with these things.

Transferred hot caustic into this tank, vented both air outlets into a bucket to catch the overflow. Began the CIP cycle. Hindsight would stop me here. Enough runoff to fill the bucket, no steam vent, it was airlocked. Significant amounts of steam formed during transfer and was now locked in the tank. Over time, it cooled, drawing a significant vacuum and dimpling this.

I fretted for a few seconds, then chilled. After talking to the my lead and the engineer, I stopped fretting and went back to work. The solution is just to airlock the tank and fill it back up with water. We're just going to do that and pump the at over for the mash, so it doesn't go to waste. Plus, we can reduce heat-up time by pumping in through an inline heater.