Using BEAT on a remote server

Magdalena Biesialska

Jan 10, 2019, 7:28:29 AM1/10/19
to beat-devel
Hello,

I have a question regarding beat.editor when used on a remote server. The problem doesn't occur when running beat.editor web server on my local machine.
I've installed BEAT framework following the instructions (https://www.idiap.ch/software/beat/docs/beat/docs/master/beat/install.html) on a remote server that I access using ssh.
The following packages were installed (among others):
conda 4.5.12 (miniconda)
beat.cmdline 1.4.0
beat.editor 0.1.0

The problem I'm facing is when I open beat.editor web application in my (local) browser.
In order to do this, first I use SSH tunnel to access web server locally as follows:
ssh <username>@<remote_server> -2221 -16006:127.0.0.1:5000
then on the remote server I run
source activate beat
When I go to the directory beat.tutorial.prefix I can list experiments without any problems using the command
beat exp list

anjos/tutorial/eigenface/1/atnt-eigenfaces-172

test/tutorial/eigenface/1/atnt

test/test/iris/1/iris

test/test/iris/1/means

test/test/iris/1/error

test/test/iris_advanced/1/iris

However, when I run the beat.editor web server
beat edit serve
and open web app in the browser the list is empty

beateditor_remote_exp_list.png

While the list of experiments should look just like on my local server

beateditor_local_exp_list.png

Of course not only experiments are not listed but all other lists (e.g. databases, algorithms, toolchains) are empty.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Magdalena

Magdalena Biesialska

Jan 10, 2019, 7:37:00 AM1/10/19
to beat-devel
I'm sorry but the google groups interface is not very flexible and I'm unable to edit my previous post to include images that haven't been attached properly.
Here they are:

Remote server - list of experiments

beateditor_remote_exp_list.png

Local server - list of experiments

beateditor_local_exp_list.png

Magdalena Biesialska

Jan 16, 2019, 8:09:35 AM1/16/19
to beat-devel
The problem is not solved, but together with my colleague we looked at the code of beat.editor and it seems in order to solve this issue some changes need to be introduced:

the port number (i.e. 5000) is hard-coded  in the server and the routes.
So we suggest to remove the port from these parts of code -- main.js, server_cli.py and put it as a parameter in a config file for example.

Looking forward to your response.

André Anjos

Jan 16, 2019, 9:02:46 AM1/16/19
to beat-...@googlegroups.com
Magdalena,

Thx for you message - I'm waiting Jaden to reply to this one.  Neither Samuel or myself can help you there.

Best, Andre

Dr. André Anjos
Idiap Research Institute
Centre du Parc - rue Marconi 19