[Zotonic] GSoC 2013

Yash Shah

Apr 18, 2013, 2:10:35 PM4/18/13
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I am Sophomore student at Dhirubhai ambani institute of information and communication technology. I was Google summer of code 2012 student in KDE. I implemented Multimodal Accessibility: Using Computer Vision to improve Speech Recognition in Simon.

I will really like to contribute in Zotonic.  I went through all the projects on the ideas page a few days ago and studies them in detail. I found Timezone support, Dropbox Integration, and Calendar synchronization very interesting. I would like to start with Dropbox Integration or whichever is on higher priority. I have already cloned Zotonic repo and going though the codebase. I don't have much experience in Erlang atm, but i am very very enthusiastic and passionate to work on this project. I am going through its tutorial now.

Just a quick thought, why don't we Integrate Zotonic even with Google Drive,  Skydrive, etc. What does the community think about this?

Can you please guide me on how should i get started?

I am positevely looking forward to contribute in Zotonic.

Thank you,
Yash Shah
www.yashshah.com

Andreas Stenius

Apr 19, 2013, 5:16:06 PM4/19/13
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com, zotonic-developers
Hi Yash,

I'm happy to see you so excited about Zotonic!

[cc'ing the zotonic dev list to bring this to a wider audience]

The dropbox suggestion is picked for no particular reason over any of the other available online file stores (both those you mention, and others).
I would very much like to see as many technologies as possible integrated with zotonic to give a wider set of options for users to choose from.

If you want to work on that, great!
I don't know about any particular priorities of the proposed projects, so I think the best results will come from picking what you find the most inspiring to work with.

As you bring up multiple technologies for the same kind of service, I think it would be nice to design some sort of api internally for modules supporting those services,
so you can swap them out independently without affecting other parts relying on the remote storage services provided.

This actually touches on a related issue brought up today [1] where Marc Worrell wants to provision the local file storage to a Amazon S3 service.

To get started, I think you could play around with zotonic. As you're reading the code, get familiar with how modules, models and the notification system works.
Those will be fundamental for this kind of project. For a brief introduction to writing your first module, you could read through a few articles [2] I wrote when first getting
to know zotonic, just to get started.

Apart from that, the mailing list or zotonic chat room [3] is great places to get more help.

Don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
Andreas

Ps. you can reach me by e-mail g...@astekk.se, github @kaos, or twitter @andreasstenius.

[1] "Store uploaded files on S3/Cloud" https://github.com/zotonic/zotonic/issues/550
[2] "Gazonk, the example zotonic module" http://blog.astekk.se/en/mod_gazonk

Mawuli Adzaku

Apr 23, 2013, 12:23:46 AM4/23/13
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yash,
I just found this post after posting my interest in working on Zotonic dropbox integration.
I also find the the modules repository integration very interesting.
Either way, I am very excited about working with the BEAM community, especially Zotonic so please feel free to connect with me on twitter( mawuli_ypa ) or via email maw...@mawuli.me

Yash Shah

Apr 24, 2013, 12:24:19 AM4/24/13
to Mawuli Adzaku, beam-co...@googlegroups.com
@Mawuli

It is also great to see you interested in this project :)
Zotonic project is amazing and the best part about it is its community. Everyone is very friendly, helping and understanding.

So lets hope that our excitement will lead to great development in Zotonic project.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Yash Shah
www.yashshah.com
@yashshah

Arjan Scherpenisse

Apr 24, 2013, 2:53:39 AM4/24/13
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

great to hear you're interested in working on Zotonic!
The dropbox / file storage integration is indeed one of the exciting topics.

Have you looked at this document yet: https://github.com/zotonic/zotonic/wiki/Zotonic-File-Service-API

cheers,
Arjan
--
MiracleThings *     / Interactive projects / creative solutions
http://miraclethings.nl / ar...@miraclethings.nl / +31641322599