kernel-headers package for Ubuntu on Beagle Board

gianluca

Mar 16, 2010, 5:11:26 PM3/16/10
to Beagle Board
Dear all,

do you know how I could install the kernel-headers-$(uname -r) package
on Ubuntu Beagle Board to be able to compile modules on the board?

I tried sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r), but it tells
me:

E: couldn't find package kernel-headers-2.6.32.7-x7.1

I tried kernel-headers-generic, but without success too.

Thanks and regards,

Gianluca

Robert Nelson

Mar 16, 2010, 5:32:56 PM3/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Please, search the user group, as this has been asked/explained
multiple times before.

Your not going to find them in ubuntu's repo...

Headers/source are available here: https://launchpad.net/~beagleboard-kernel

* Ubuntu just enabled their ti-omap kernel for lucid, however it
doesn't boot. I've sent a couple patches upstream to fix that and
they should be included in the next upload..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

gianluca

Mar 17, 2010, 5:57:47 AM3/17/10
to Beagle Board
Hi Robert,

I tried looking in the website you posted, however I found some files
and folders which seemed to be un-related to kernel sources.. could
you kindly explain how I could get the sources?

Looking in previous posts, I found one in which someone explained how
the source code could be downloaded from

http://www.beagleboard.org/uploads/2.6_kernel_revb-v2.tar.gz

I made the module like explained, however when I put it in on the
board I got the error wrong module format (i.e. the sources used to
build the module and those used to build the kernel I have on the
board i.e. 2.6.32.7-x7.1 are not the same).

There does not appear to be a 2.6_kernel_revc-v4.tar.gz anywhere (I
have a Rev C4 board).

Looking at http://rcn-ee.net/deb/kernel/beagle/karmic/v2.6.32.7-x7.1/
I noted that there are a number of files, including a patch. I know
that somehow I can get the sources by applying that patch to the linux-
omap 2.6 kernel found at:

git-clone git://git2.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git

Could you or somebody else please explain how?

Thanks and regards,

Gianluca

On Mar 16, 10:32 pm, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Robert Nelson

Mar 17, 2010, 7:53:37 AM3/17/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:57 AM, gianluca <gian...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I tried looking in the website you posted, however I found some files
> and folders which seemed to be un-related to kernel sources.. could
> you kindly explain how I could get the sources?

It's a set of scripts/patches to build the latest working kernel...

> Looking in previous posts, I found one in which someone explained how
> the source code could be downloaded from
>
> http://www.beagleboard.org/uploads/2.6_kernel_revb-v2.tar.gz
>

> I made the module like explained, however when I put it in on the
> board I got the error wrong module format (i.e. the sources used to
> build the module and those used to build the kernel I have on the
> board i.e. 2.6.32.7-x7.1 are not the same).

Sorry that one is ancient, don't use..

> There does not appear to be a 2.6_kernel_revc-v4.tar.gz anywhere (I
> have a Rev C4 board).
>
> Looking at http://rcn-ee.net/deb/kernel/beagle/karmic/v2.6.32.7-x7.1/
> I noted that there are a number of files, including a patch. I know
> that somehow I can get the sources by applying that patch to the linux-
> omap 2.6 kernel found at:
>
> git-clone git://git2.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git
>
> Could you or somebody else please explain how?

v2.6.32.7-x7.1 is based on 2.6.32.7

So you download mainline 2.6.32, patch in mainline 2.6.32.7 then patch
in patch-2.6.32.7-x7.1.diff + defconfig from rcn-ee.net..

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/kernel/beagle/karmic/v2.6.32.7-x7.1/patch-2.6.32.7-x7.1.diff