Narcissus Angstrom demo image error

Ram

Oct 5, 2012, 5:16:46 AM10/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys,

i have made a built using narcissus for angstrom  for BB C5 board and when i tried to untar and copy the bootloader files.. i got an error as follows

@ubuntu:sudo tar --wildcards -xjvf Angstrom-image-beagleboard.tar.gz ./boot/*

bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child returned status 2

why does this happen?

Gary Thomas

Oct 5, 2012, 6:55:30 AM10/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Because it's not a bzip2 file?

Try using the option '-xzvf' to tar instead of 'xjvf'

meino....@gmx.de

Oct 5, 2012, 6:59:35 AM10/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Gary Thomas <samoh...@gmail.com> [12-10-05 12:56]:
> --

Or better try -xzvpf to preserve all permissions...

Only my two cents...

Best regards,
mcc

Dorairaj Elango

Oct 9, 2012, 12:43:39 AM10/9/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

thanks for the help. i tried following your advise. and this is what it says. Pardon me as i am still learning and new to linux.

root@ubuntu:/home/n6999484# tar --wildcards -xzvpf Angstrom-image-beagleboard.tar.gz ./boot/
tar: ./boot: Not found in archive

i did a simple build. i am actually needing a new angstrom linux now as i believe its more stable than ubuntu distro (as i am trying to meet my objective of using Beagleboard to connect with a GPS receiver to receiver serial data without any data loss as ive tried using Ubuntu and it has given me serial data loss ,thus the need to change to angstrom).

So for angstrom builds, do i need a more advanced build to achieve my goal or am i still able to work with ubuntu linux and prevent serial data loss?

Help is much appreciated as i feel helpless. Thank you.

Regards,

Ram

madara_x64

Oct 16, 2012, 12:11:53 PM10/16/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Not sure, but it seems like there's something wrong with the image. Try downloading a fresh copy and doing that again.

Gary Thomas

Oct 16, 2012, 12:18:02 PM10/16/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 2012-10-16 10:11, madara_x64 wrote:
> Hi,
> Not sure, but it seems like there's something wrong with the image. Try downloading a fresh copy and doing that again.

You really should read before replying; this was answered properly on Oct 5.

> On Friday, 5 October 2012 10:16:46 UTC+1, Ram wrote:
>

> Hi guys,
>
> i have made a built using narcissus for angstrom for BB C5 board and when i tried to untar and copy the bootloader files.. i got an error as follows
>
> @ubuntu:sudo tar --wildcards -xjvf Angstrom-image-beagleboard.tar.gz ./boot/*

tar.gz file would use the 'z' option (-xzvf), not 'j'