Re: [beagleboard] BeagleBone Black opencv windowing problem

Gerald Coley

May 10, 2013, 7:44:07 AM5/10/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the display has an overscan issue. Can you disable overscan or find and option to "Fit to Window".

Gerald

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM, <ben.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I am using Angstrom 3.8.11, the image that was just released 5/8 and I have a strange opencv problem.   I am trying to do some simple examples but highgui does not appear to be working correctly.  Note I have keyboard/mouse/hdmi hooked up.  Some examples

1) No keyboard input working so waitKey(0) never stops the program
2) Not only does the window that is generated have no border, but all my other windows on the desktop also lose their border.  Once I kill the process through system monitor the other windows get their border back. ( note the status of the process says sleeping)

Anybody else run into these problems?  Thanks.

Gerald

Ben Loftin

May 18, 2013, 11:23:49 PM5/18/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
All right I have a 'terrible' but usable work around for the moment in getting opencv to wok on BBB.  It seems I cannot even get a hello world example to work right with gtk-2.0 and Angstrom on the BBB.  So until I figure that out, I switched over to archlinux, installed xorg and opencv and it seems to be running as expected now.  Here is a video of the camshiftdemo running and tracking an object.  I also tested most of the examples and input keys, mouse clicks, etc and they were working as expected.  Note to get it working with the logitech c310 camera I had to pass these arguments to opencv (just choose a valid resolution)

cap.set(CV_CAP_PROP_FRAME_WIDTH, 352);
cap.set(CV_CAP_PROP_FRAME_HEIGHT, 288);

http://youtu.be/no2l0OuCSIE

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:44:44 AM UTC-7, Ben Loftin wrote:
So by disable overscan I should put this line in the /boot/uEnv.txt file?:

disable_overscan=1

It did not fix the opencv window issue, but it did fix the odd horizontal green lines I was getting when I had a black background (ie. desktop or terminal window)

I'll try the Fit to window next, but not sure how to enable it.

Thanks for the help you guys must all be swamped atm.  So far loving the BBB - great work!

Ben Loftin

May 23, 2013, 2:33:30 AM5/23/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I have a work around for opencv on BBB for Angstrom.  It should work with previous versions but I have only tested the latest 5/20 image that has kernel 3.8.13.  Basically, do not use gdm and instead us xcfe.  The only odd thing is getting xcfe installed.

1) Install lxdm

# opkg install lxdm

2)  Disable gdm

# systemctl disable gdm.service

3) Enable lxdm

# systemctl enable lxdm

4)  install xcfe

# opkg install packagegroup-xfce-base

5)  reboot and then when you get the login screen in the lower left make sure you select en for language and xfce for desktop otherwise it just brings you back to the login prompt - you should not know how long it took me to figure that one out....

6)  for video capture you still need the correct frame width/height as posted before

oh and xfce seems way better than the gdm anyway :)

Baran

Jun 30, 2013, 4:16:33 PM6/30/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mr Ben

i faced same problem as yours, when i compile a simple image show program like :

while(( (cvWaitKey(10)&0xff) != 27 ))

                {
                        cvShowImage("img",img);
                };

i saw that the window has no border , window stays behind the terminal, no ESC works to quit and window has no border

then i started to do your instructions you suggested

1) Install lxdm

# opkg install lxdm

2)  Disable gdm

# systemctl disable gdm.service

3) Enable lxdm

# systemctl enable lxdm

4)  install xcfe

# opkg install packagegroup-xfce-base
.
.
.

after that BBB doesnt enter to angstrom

i really need your help in that subject

your sincerely

Baran..

Gerhard

Jul 1, 2013, 3:48:25 AM7/1/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Using GTK with minimal "Hello World Sample Window" I have the very same problem:
* messing up the Gnome desktop
* alldesktop Windows loosing ther borders
* unmoveable window appears in upper left Corner

Seems to be some problem with Gnome und GTK (some kind of version mismatch?)
I'm using the latest Angstrom build 2013-06-20 with GTK and GCC.

Any help, any ideas would be wellcomed...
thanks

Gerhard

Jul 1, 2013, 4:28:44 AM7/1/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com