android on beagle/OMAP35x?

Weihua Sheng

Sep 24, 2008, 7:46:48 AM9/24/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am looking into the possibility to port Google Android on
beagle/OMAP35x-based systems. I found this page
http://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP where it explained that there might
be complications on TLS of ARM cortex. A user report link was there
quoting not-so-successful. Meanwhile I learned that in Boston there
will be a demo soon showing Android on beagle
(http://www.cmp-egevents.com/web/escb/beagleboard). If possible, could
anyone give any hints/suggestions on this topic? It'd be great if
someone could share some experience actually porting Android to
OMAP35x.

Thank you.

Weihua

Weihua Sheng

Sep 24, 2008, 7:48:25 AM9/24/08
to discu...@beagleboard.org

Koen Kooi

Sep 24, 2008, 7:49:08 AM9/24/08
to Beagle Board
On 24 sep, 13:46, "Weihua Sheng" <weihua.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking into the possibility to port Google Android on
> beagle/OMAP35x-based systems.

Porting? Does that mean you have the android sourcecode to work on? Or
do you mean "patching binder into the kernel"?

regards,

Koen

Weihua Sheng

Sep 24, 2008, 8:04:49 AM9/24/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the wording. I mean making android source code to work on
OMAP35x, not patching the binder.

Thanks!

Weihua Sheng

Sep 24, 2008, 8:34:42 AM9/24/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Re-read the mail, much sorry about the confusion the newbie created earlier...
I'd like to see if one can boot up android on omap35x hardware. I read
http://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP, my understanding is that kernel
source + patch + a proper FS would do, though not sure about the TLS
issue. Would like to poll if there's a work-around for that, or any
experience regarding making android run on beagle.

Any suggestions/hints are appreciated.

vincent3...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2008, 8:04:56 AM10/22/08
to Beagle Board
I've already ported the android kernel to beagleboard(2.6.22) with
full android kernel m5_rc20 patches,
and I can boot from android emulator with appropriate kernel config
(goldfish and qemu). I think this steps
will make sure the kernel is okay. But now, I have some problem with
android file system.

I do the following test (refer to "Android on OMAP" article):
1. boot from the startard file system(ext2) of beagle board and switch
the control to android system.
I meet "segmemntation fault" while executing the "/init" command.

2. apply yaffs2 file system on /dev/mtdblock4, and copy the android's
stuff to it. After that,
modify the boot argument (root=/dev/mtdblock4 rootfstype=yaffs2
init=/init ...), but the boot procedure
stop at the following point.
... ...
<6>yaffs: dev is 32505860 name is "mtdblock4"
yaffs: dev is 32505860 name is "mtdblock4"
<6>yaffs: passed flags ""
yaffs: passed flags ""
yaffs: Attempting MTD mount on 31.4, "mtdblock4"
yaffs: Attempting MTD mount on 31.4, "mtdblock4"
VFS: Mounted root (yaffs2 filesystem).
VFS: Mounted root (yaffs2 filesystem).
<6>Freeing init memory: 132K
Freeing init memory: 132K

it seems to be the "/init" issue as well. (I make sure that I can
beagleboard file system on yaffs2)
I have no idea about it, and i can't go on. any suggestion is
applicated.

On 9月24日, 下午8時34分, "Weihua Sheng" <weihua.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Re-read the mail, much sorry about the confusion the newbie created earlier...
> I'd like to see if one can boot upandroidon omap35x hardware. I readhttp://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP, my understanding is that kernel
> source + patch + a proper FS would do, though not sure about the TLS
> issue. Would like to poll if there's a work-around for that, or any
> experience regarding makingandroidrun on beagle.
>
> Any suggestions/hints are appreciated.

vincent3...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2008, 8:05:48 AM10/22/08
to Beagle Board
> Re-read the mail, much sorry about the confusion the newbie created earlier...
> I'd like to see if one can boot upandroidon omap35x hardware. I readhttp://elinux.org/Android_on_OMAP, my understanding is that kernel
> source + patch + a proper FS would do, though not sure about the TLS
> issue. Would like to poll if there's a work-around for that, or any
> experience regarding makingandroidrun on beagle.
>
> Any suggestions/hints are appreciated.

kapare

Oct 23, 2008, 11:00:46 AM10/23/08
to Beagle Board
android-is-now-open-source since Posted by Jason Chen on 21 October
2008 at 7:58 AM

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2008/10/android-is-now-open-source.html

source.android.com

I'm compiling the code right now !

kap

Rupesh Gujare

Nov 15, 2008, 8:15:39 AM11/15/08
to Beagle Board

Hi All,

We have successfully ported (custom) open source Android to beagle
board. This is very initial version. We have tested it on MMC card
and on NFS.
Please find below link for uImage and root filesystem.

http://embdroid.homeftp.net/ANDROID.tar.bz2

You can watch Beagle board booting Android here:-
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=3cetZMUWBHY

I will get back with more details and update very soon.
Enjoy Androing...

Regards,

--
Rupesh Gujare
http://embinux.com

On Oct 23, 8:00 pm, kapare <kevyn.alexandre.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> android-is-now-open-source since Posted by Jason Chen on 21 October
> 2008 at 7:58 AM
>
> http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2008/10/android-is-now-open-so...

Vladimir Pantelic

Nov 24, 2008, 3:50:01 AM11/24/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, rupesh...@gmail.com
Rupesh Gujare wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have successfully ported (custom) open source Android to beagle
> board. This is very initial version. We have tested it on MMC card
> and on NFS.
> Please find below link for uImage and root filesystem.
>
> http://embdroid.homeftp.net/ANDROID.tar.bz2

Hello,

thanks for the image. I have some trouble to run it on my BB, could you give us the u-boot command line needed?

Regards,

Vladimir

Johnny You 游文洲

Nov 24, 2008, 4:49:54 AM11/24/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,115200n8 rw ip=off root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
mem=128M devfs=mount rootdelay=1 init=./init

I' using this argument for the booargs. But I'm having problem with my input
devices. What kind of input devices did you use for this kernel?

I think the kernel doesn't support USB keyboard and mouse.

Do you use touch screen as the input device? If so, may I know where to buy
it?

Thank you

Rupesh Gujare

Nov 24, 2008, 4:57:03 AM11/24/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, rupesh...@gmail.com
Hi,

> thanks for the image. I have some trouble to run it on my BB, could you give us the u-boot command line needed

u-boot command line:-

console=ttyS2,115200n8 root=/dev/nfs rw
nfsroot=192.168.128.4.5:/nfs/root/fs ip=192.168.128.1.1::255:255:255.0
nolock,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 rootdelay=2 video=omapfb:mode:1280x720@50
init=/init

Regards,
Rupesh Gujare

http://embinux.com

Vladimir Pantelic

Nov 24, 2008, 6:49:13 AM11/24/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Johnny You 游文洲 wrote:

> setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,115200n8 rw ip=off root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
> mem=128M devfs=mount rootdelay=1 init=./init

thanks I will try this, but for the moment I am not at my BB...

> I' using this argument for the booargs. But I'm having problem with my input
> devices. What kind of input devices did you use for this kernel?

I connected USB hub + kbd + mouse, but I never saw anything on the LCD
at all.

> I think the kernel doesn't support USB keyboard and mouse.

I see some USB messages

> Do you use touch screen as the input device? If so, may I know where to buy
> it?

no TS here...

renato....@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2008, 5:44:39 AM11/24/08
to Beagle Board
I cannot use the keyboard and mouse on beagle board too.

I think it's not compiled to use USB

Jeremy

Nov 30, 2008, 11:41:12 PM11/30/08
to Beagle Board
I just got Android running (Yay!), but also cannot use my mouse and
keyboard. In your working demo, do you have mouse and keyboard
working or do you use another form or input device?

Thanks.

Johnny You 游文洲

Dec 1, 2008, 12:28:45 AM12/1/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Can we download the kernel and filesystem source code for beagleboard and
compile it ourself?

Dec 1, 2008, 2:02:40 AM12/1/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

just to make clear:

did you install annother OS prior to Android?
- Have keyboard and mouse be working then?

if not - are you using a high-speed hub (must use) ?

regards,
A.d.T

Jesslyn Abdul Salam

Dec 1, 2008, 2:17:41 AM12/1/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

 Android does not have support for mouse. It supports only keyboard, touchscreen and trackball.
 Besides I did not find any code in Android for handling mouse device events and mouse cursor.

Jesslyn

Ref: http://groups.google.com/group/android-internals/browse_thread/thread/aee6b4a03c37dba2/19b7a5dff86a994a?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=mouse#19b7a5dff86a994a

Jesslyn Abdul Salam

Dec 1, 2008, 7:33:44 AM12/1/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Just found out that you can use a usb mouse as 5-way joystick rather than as a "Mouse device". There will not be any mouse cursor. You just need to change the permission of the event node for the mouse device. You can move the move the mouse gently in all directions as well as left-click as "select"

Jess

Jeremy

Dec 1, 2008, 1:22:13 PM12/1/08
to Beagle Board

> did you install annother OS prior to Android?
> - Have keyboard and mouse be working then?

I've been able to use the USB keyboard and mouse on Angstrom quite
well

>  Android does not have support for mouse. It supports only keyboard,
> touchscreen and trackball.

Then can I use the keyboard arrows (or other keys) for navigation?
What sort of touchscreens are supported? Do you know if the USB
touchscreen that is built into the Lilliput screens (http://bit.ly/
Mg2F) would work?

Thanks!

Terrence

Dec 1, 2008, 4:32:41 PM12/1/08
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have the Omapzoom MDK using Angstrom with Enlightenment it has it's own
LCD and has s-video and HDMI
does any one know how to configure the HDMI on this? tried the Beagle way
and not suppressed it doesn't work?
and does any one have an idea if both can work at same time?

Sorry to but in on a non Android question..

Dec 2, 2008, 4:56:11 PM12/2/08
to Beagle Board
I believe this deserves it own topic/thread since it doesn't have
anything to do with Android. You can start a new post from the main
page: http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard

garren...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2008, 12:08:12 PM12/14/08
to Beagle Board
Could someone give a slightly more detailed approach to getting
Android running. I'm a bit of a newbie and struggling to get it
running.
I've created a sd card like stated here (http://elinux.org/
BeagleBoardAndOpenEmbeddedGit) then copied the uImage across and the
file system to the two partitions. I then tried the bootargs:
setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,115200n8 rw ip=off root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
> mem=128M devfs=mount rootdelay=1 init=./init

and

console=ttyS2,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
nolock,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 rootdelay=2 video=omapfb:mode:1280x720@50
init=/init

but neither worked, what should my bootcmd be?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.