RE: [beagleboard] Trying to update X-Loader and U-Boot on Classic BeagleBoard

John (USP)

Jun 17, 2012, 5:04:09 PM6/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: beagl...@googlegroups.com [mailto:beagl...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of firthmj
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:42 AM
To: beagl...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [beagleboard] Trying to update X-Loader and U-Boot on Classic BeagleBoard

Hi,

I have a "Classic" BeagleBoard, Rev C3, and I'm having a few issues.

My first problem (which I still have) is that I'm experiencing a Linux Kernel crash when I try to shutdown with both the Angstrom Linux build and the Fedora 17 beta.

Thinking this might be being caused by out-of-date U-Boot and X-Loader versions, I tried to update these to newer versions, and that's where my problems and confusion have spiraled.

I've managed to get the system updated slightly with the versions at http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/downloads/list, but the U-Boot here is still pretty old.

According to http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Source, it should be possible to get the board running with versions built from the two URLs on that page. I've managed to get the X-Loader to build and run, but can't get any newer version of U-Boot to ever respond.

There seems to be a completely different X-Loader at http://downloads.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard, This seems to identify itself as "U-Boot SBL", and tries to load a u-boot.img file, rather than a u-boot.bin file. If I combine this with the u-boot.img file on the same page, I can get a new u-boot running temporarily (using the User button), but I've completely failed to get the alternative X-Loader to load from flash - it just spits out a lot of "Error: Bad compare! failed" messages and then freezes. I've tried various permutations of programming, as the instructions on that page are slightly different from what's in the "reset.scr" file available from the code.google.com page.

Hi Michael,

X-Loader is now built when you build U-Boot. You don’t have to build it separately and if you did, it wouldn’t work. It is difficult to keep all these wikis up to date so I would recommend that you use Angstrom to build everything you need because there are some very smart and hard working people who resolve these kinds of issues for you. If you want to learn how these modules are built, you can always read the log files generated by Angstrom in the work/<xxx>/<app>/temp folder. Koen Kooi has made Angstrom very easy to install and lately, it works really well so I would suggest that you take advantage of the huge code base offered by Angstrom.

When you do “bitbake u-boot”, Angstrom will generate MLO and u-boot.img and these will work with the kernel which you generate with “bitbake virtual/kernel”. It is that simple and it always works. Don’t waste your time following outdated wikis.

Regards,

John

Are either of these known issues, and which "flavour" of X-Loader is the recommended one?

Are there any known issues with any of the recent CodeSourcery compilers that would prevent U-Boot from starting, but still allow X-Loader to work?

Finally, is this worth doing, or should the old versions of X-Loader and U-Boot be good enough anyway?

Thanks

Michael

-- To join: http://beagleboard.org/discuss
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
beagleboard...@googlegroups.com
Frequently asked questions: http://beagleboard.org/faq

Maksym Parkachov

Jun 18, 2012, 3:22:45 AM6/18/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

> There seems to be a completely different X-Loader at
> http://downloads.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard, This seems to
> identify itself as "U-Boot SBL", and tries to load a u-boot.img file, rather
> than a u-boot.bin file. If I combine this with the u-boot.img file on the
> same page, I can get a new u-boot running temporarily (using the User
> button), but I've completely failed to get the alternative X-Loader to load
> from flash - it just spits out a lot of "Error: Bad compare! failed"
> messages and then freezes. I've tried various permutations of programming,
> as the instructions on that page are slightly different from what's in the
> "reset.scr" file available from the code.google.com page.
>
> Are either of these known issues, and which "flavour" of X-Loader is the
> recommended one?

I've got classic C4 and see the same behaviour with new X-Loader. It
works fine, when loaded from SD card, but loading from flash gives me
"Error: Bad compare! failed". This is X-Loader from Angstrom 2012/05.
I didn't have problems with version from 2011/03. Currently, I've just
erased flash, and it loads from SD card, but I would like get system
working from flash.

Is there some new instructions on burning new X-Loader/U-Boot into flash ?

Regards,
Maksym.

Maksym Parkachov

Jun 18, 2012, 1:52:56 PM6/18/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

> How are you flashing the MLO and u-boot.img (NOT u-boot.bin) file to NAND
> from the current builds?  The only change in the instructions is to use
> u-boot.img rather than u-boot.bin when writing to flash.

I'm using instructions from
http://downloads.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/
Well, I did change the name of the u-boot. And there is no errors
during the flash process.
It's after restart, right at the moment when MLO should be starting,
I've got the error: "Error: Bad compare! failed". Flashing old MLO and
old u-boot works fine.

I remember there actually was 2 version of x-loader, with 2 or 3 byte
difference depending on where it's going to be used from card or from
flash, but I don't see this with new x-loader. Could be something like
this generating problem ?

Thanks,
Maksym.

> --
> Tom

Tom Rini

Jun 21, 2012, 11:53:12 AM6/21/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:36:40 PM UTC-7, DangPham wrote:
I recently update MLO and u-boot.img to BB RevC4.

Selecting the HW or SW ECC (error correction) seems do the trick. Some instruction guide SW ECC for MLO and HW ECC for u-boot.img. However, I have succesed updating with HW ECC.

Ah yes, that would be it.  We no longer have the mismatch between components here like we used to.

--
Tom

Maksym Parkachov

Jun 21, 2012, 2:12:06 PM6/21/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:36 AM, DangPham <dang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently update MLO and u-boot.img to BB RevC4.
>
> Selecting the HW or SW ECC (error correction) seems do the trick. Some
> instruction guide SW ECC for MLO and HW ECC for u-boot.img. However, I have
> succesed updating with HW ECC.

Thanks, that was the trick.

I selected HW ECC for both, MLO and u-boot.img and now everything
works just fine.

Thanks,
Maksym.