input/output errors

Grant

Oct 6, 2012, 2:40:32 AM10/6/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
All of a sudden I'm getting tons of input/output errors when trying to
boot the Beaglebone on my 32GB SD card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084DWCTW

Could this card have some sort of incompatibility with the Beaglebone
even though it worked perfectly for 1-2 weeks?

I did 'fsck.vfat /dev/sdb1' and 'fsck.ext3 /dev/sdb2' but neither
found any errors. The 4GB card that came with the Beaglebone still
works fine. Is the 32GB card a lost cause or is there something I
should try?

- Grant

Robert Nelson

Oct 6, 2012, 10:04:33 AM10/6/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Please see: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

Essentially your email is missing a snapshot of the "tons of
input/output errors", & the kernel version running on your bone..
Without which, anyone trying to respond will just be guessing at the
problem..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Grant

Oct 6, 2012, 11:28:57 AM10/6/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
>> All of a sudden I'm getting tons of input/output errors when trying to
>> boot the Beaglebone on my 32GB SD card:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084DWCTW
>>
>> Could this card have some sort of incompatibility with the Beaglebone
>> even though it worked perfectly for 1-2 weeks?
>>
>> I did 'fsck.vfat /dev/sdb1' and 'fsck.ext3 /dev/sdb2' but neither
>> found any errors. The 4GB card that came with the Beaglebone still
>> works fine. Is the 32GB card a lost cause or is there something I
>> should try?
>
> Please see: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise
>
> Essentially your email is missing a snapshot of the "tons of
> input/output errors", & the kernel version running on your bone..
> Without which, anyone trying to respond will just be guessing at the
> problem..

OK, I'm on kernel 3.1. I've been trying to migrate to 3.6 but I'm
having various difficulties. Here are my errors on 3.1:

unable to exec `/etc/init.d/alsasound': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/hostname': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/termencoding': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/keymaps': Input/output error
/lib/rc/sh/runscript.sh: line 13: /etc/init.d/../conf.d/net: Input/output error
* ERROR: net.lo failed to start
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/procfs': Input/output error
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3d/swap': Input/output erro
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/alsasound': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/hostname': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/termencoding': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/keymaps': Input/output error
/lib/rc/sh/runscript.sh: line 13: /etc/init.d/../conf.d/net: Input/output error
* ERROR: net.lo failed to start
/lib/rc/sh/runscript.sh: line 13: /etc/init.d/../conf.d/net: Input/output error
* ERROR: net.eth0 failed to start
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/netmount': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/procfs': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/swap': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/udev-postmount': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/urandom': Input/output error
unable to exec `/etc/init.d/local': Input/output error
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
[...]
INIT: Id "c5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: Id "c4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: Id "s0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: Id "c2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
INIT: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

- Grant

Grant

Oct 6, 2012, 11:58:25 AM10/6/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I tried to tar up the contents of the card in an SD card reader on my
laptop and it seemed successful but I get:

# umount /mnt/p2
umount: /mnt/p2: device is busy.
(In some cases useful info about processes that use
the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))
#

dmesg is full of these:

[248925.480204] journal commit I/O error

It seems like a dead card to me.

- Grant