xM Resolutions

lchile

Sep 14, 2010, 7:28:33 AM9/14/10
to Beagle Board
Hi,

In the boot.scr and user.scr for the angstrom validation image I have
tried several permutations of:
setenv dvimode 1280x1024MR-16@60
setenv dvimode 1280x1024MR-24@60
setenv dvimode 1280x1024MR-32@60
setenv dvimode 1024x768MR-16@60
setenv dvimode 1024x768MR-24@60
setenv dvimode 1024x768MR-32@60

but each one of them returns me to a 640x480 screen.

Only setenv dvimode hd720 gives me the correct result so far.

Has the syntax been updated for this, and if so where can I find out
about it?

Jason Kridner

Sep 15, 2010, 10:01:24 AM9/15/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:28 AM, lchile <beaufo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the boot.scr and user.scr for the angstrom validation image I have
> tried several permutations of:
> setenv dvimode 1280x1024MR-16@60
> setenv dvimode 1280x1024MR-24@60
> setenv dvimode 1280x1024MR-32@60
> setenv dvimode 1024x768MR-16@60
> setenv dvimode 1024x768MR-24@60
> setenv dvimode 1024x768MR-32@60
>
> but each one of them returns me to a 640x480 screen.
>
> Only setenv dvimode hd720 gives me the correct result so far.

The above looks right to me. I suspect some other u-boot challenge.
Can you include the entire serial log?

> Has the syntax been updated for this, and if so where can I find out
> about it?

You can find out about it in the kernel documentation[1], but I don't
think it has changed.

[1] http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/arm/OMAP/DSS

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 3:16:48 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Thanks, can see issues with boot process finding the resolution, not
sure how I should resolve this though:

X.Org X Server 1.7.4
Release Date: 2010-01-08
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-305-ec2 x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux beagleboard 2.6.32 #3 PREEMPT Wed Aug
18 15:53:03 UTC 2010 armv7l
Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 mpurate=1000 buddy=none
camera=lbcm3m1 vram=12M omapfb.mode=dvi:640x480MR-16@60
omapdss.def_disp=dvi root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait
Build Date: 18 August 2010 04:16:06PM

Current version of pixman: 0.18.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Aug 22 16:50:07 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "Builtin Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(==) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable
AutoAddDevices.
(II) Loader magic: 0x1889b8
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
(--) using VT number 1

(II) "extmod" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
specified in the config file.
(II) "dbe" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
specified in the config file.
(II) "glx" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
specified in the config file.
(II) "dri" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
specified in the config file.
(II) "dri2" will be loaded by default.
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
(II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module record
(II) UnloadModule: "record"
(EE) Failed to load module "record" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
(II) UnloadModule: "dri"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri2
(II) UnloadModule: "dri2"
(EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "omapfb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/omapfb_drv.so
(II) Module omapfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) omapfb: Driver for OMAP framebuffer (omapfb) and external LCD
controllers:
omap1/2/3, S1D13745, HWA742
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for OMAPFB
(WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
(II) Running in FRAMEBUFFER Mode
(WW) Error opening /sys/devices/platform/omapfb/ctrl/name: No such
file or directory
(WW) Can't autodetect LCD controller, assuming internal
(II) LCD controller: internal
(II) omapfb(0): VideoRAM: 600KiB (SDRAM)
(II) omapfb(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0" for depth/fbbpp 16/16
(--) omapfb(0): Depth 16, (==) framebuffer bpp 16
(==) omapfb(0): RGB weight 565
(==) omapfb(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(--) omapfb(0): Virtual size is 640x480 (pitch 640)
(**) omapfb(0): Built-in mode "current"
(==) omapfb(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
(II) Loading sub module "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(==) omapfb(0): DPMS enabled
(II) omapfb(0): Video plane capabilities:
(II) omapfb(0): Video plane supports the following image formats:
(II) omapfb(0): XVideo extension initialized
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
(II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
(NI) OMAPFBSaveScreen: Dim backlight?
(II) config/hal: Adding input device twl4030_pwrbutton
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
(**) twl4030_pwrbutton: always reports core events
(**) twl4030_pwrbutton: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(--) twl4030_pwrbutton: Found keys
(II) twl4030_pwrbutton: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "twl4030_pwrbutton" (type:
KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device HID 1241:1166
(**) HID 1241:1166: always reports core events
(**) HID 1241:1166: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(--) HID 1241:1166: Found 9 mouse buttons
(--) HID 1241:1166: Found scroll wheel(s)
(--) HID 1241:1166: Found relative axes
(--) HID 1241:1166: Found x and y relative axes
(II) HID 1241:1166: Configuring as mouse
(**) HID 1241:1166: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) HID 1241:1166: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10,
EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "HID 1241:1166" (type:
MOUSE)
(**) HID 1241:1166: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) HID 1241:1166: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) HID 1241:1166: initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/hal: Adding input device CHICONY USB Keyboard
(**) CHICONY USB Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) CHICONY USB Keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(--) CHICONY USB Keyboard: Found 12 mouse buttons
(--) CHICONY USB Keyboard: Found keys
(II) CHICONY USB Keyboard: Configuring as mouse
(II) CHICONY USB Keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(**) CHICONY USB Keyboard: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) CHICONY USB Keyboard: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia:
10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "CHICONY USB
Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device CHICONY USB Keyboard
(**) CHICONY USB Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) CHICONY USB Keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(--) CHICONY USB Keyboard: Found keys
(II) CHICONY USB Keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "CHICONY USB
Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 4:54:09 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Noticed that hd720 gives the same couldn't open module errors, but
falls back to 1280x720 as default. Confused.

On 16 Sep, 08:16, lchile <beaufortsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, can see issues with boot process finding the resolution, not
> sure how I should resolve this though:
>
> X.Org X Server 1.7.4
> Release Date: 2010-01-08
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-305-ec2 x86_64
> Current Operating System: Linux beagleboard 2.6.32 #3 PREEMPT Wed Aug
> 18 15:53:03 UTC 2010 armv7l
> Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 mpurate=1000 buddy=none
> camera=lbcm3m1 vram=12M omapfb.mode=dvi:640x480MR-16@60
> omapdss.def_disp=dvi root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait
> Build Date: 18 August 2010  04:16:06PM
>
> Current version of pixman: 0.18.4
>         Before reporting problems, checkhttp://wiki.x.org

Kiam Peng Wee

Sep 16, 2010, 5:00:08 AM9/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
drivers/video/modedb.c?

KP

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 5:40:41 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Looking at that I appear to be using the right syntax in the boot
scripts.

jkri...@beagleboard.org

Sep 16, 2010, 7:45:07 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
I don't see a problem with the detection, so I don't know what you are trying to say or what you are seeing as the behavior. I was asking for a complete log, not just the X startup. Clearly you are specifying 640x480 as the resolution in the boot sequence.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 8:41:21 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Sorry, showing my lack of linux knowledge - I don't have a serial
cable to hand, and don't know how to setup serial log saved to within
linux if that is possible?
Totally understand if you are unable to answer the following due to my
lack of testing with serial cable.

I assume there is somewhere else I need to specify the resolution as
above apart from the boot.scr and user.scr for the Angstrom
distribution? The setting of hd720 does work giving a resolution of
1280x720, only the options listed in the first post don't work. There
is also no option in Angstrom's monitor properties to specify other
resolutions other than the two that do work - hd720 and 640x480. It
finds the monitor as 'unknown'.

Is there somewhere else I should also be specifying the resolution in
this syntax:
omapfb.mode=dvi: 1280x1024MR-24@60

On 16 Sep, 12:45, jkrid...@beagleboard.org wrote:
> I don't see a problem with the detection, so I don't know what you are trying to say or what you are seeing as the behavior. I was asking for a complete log, not just the X startup.  Clearly you are specifying 640x480 as the resolution in the boot sequence.
> Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Koen Kooi

Sep 16, 2010, 8:58:17 AM9/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 16 sep 2010, om 14:41 heeft lchile het volgende geschreven:

> Sorry, showing my lack of linux knowledge - I don't have a serial
> cable to hand, and don't know how to setup serial log saved to within
> linux if that is possible?
> Totally understand if you are unable to answer the following due to my
> lack of testing with serial cable.
>
> I assume there is somewhere else I need to specify the resolution as
> above apart from the boot.scr and user.scr for the Angstrom
> distribution? The setting of hd720 does work giving a resolution of
> 1280x720, only the options listed in the first post don't work. There
> is also no option in Angstrom's monitor properties to specify other
> resolutions other than the two that do work - hd720 and 640x480. It
> finds the monitor as 'unknown'.
>
> Is there somewhere else I should also be specifying the resolution in
> this syntax:
> omapfb.mode=dvi: 1280x1024MR-24@60

That's the wrong syntax (one space too many).

setenv dvimode 1280x1024MR-24@60

regards,

Koen

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 9:34:36 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Sorry, but the second example in my first post is exactly the same as
that and this:

http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/cb03f0a25b36a8d7/881028e9479491a9?show_docid=881028e9479491a9&fwc=1&safe=active&pli=1

Will try again this weekend, but am sure I have copied your previous
post exactly.

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 9:50:24 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
PS, I am using the following image:

http://beagleboard-validation.s3.amazonaws.com/deploy/201008201549/sd/beagleboard-demo-201008201549-configured.img.gz

That is the most recent image and won't cause any problems with
1280x1024? I ask because I've noticed the onboard sound doesn't appear
to work, but assume that is because OSS/ALSA is not setup properly.

On 16 Sep, 14:34, lchile <beaufortsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, but the second example in my first post is exactly the same as
> that and this:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/cb03f...

Robert Nelson

Sep 16, 2010, 9:53:42 AM9/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM, lchile <beaufo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS, I am using the following image:
>
> http://beagleboard-validation.s3.amazonaws.com/deploy/201008201549/sd/beagleboard-demo-201008201549-configured.img.gz
>
> That is the most recent image and won't cause any problems with
> 1280x1024? I ask because I've noticed the onboard sound doesn't appear
> to work, but assume that is because OSS/ALSA is not setup properly.

That image should not make a difference for the resolution...

Starting from the beginning, print out your boot.scr... (ignore the
unreadable header crap)

Next how are you changing the resolution? in the boot.scr?

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 10:02:09 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Thanks - will copy the boot.scr later. I changed only the setenv
dvimode line in both the boot.scr and user.scr to both the same value.

On 16 Sep, 14:53, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM, lchile <beaufortsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > PS, I am using the following image:
>
> >http://beagleboard-validation.s3.amazonaws.com/deploy/201008201549/sd...

Maxim Podbereznyy

Sep 16, 2010, 10:23:21 AM9/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 mpurate=1000 buddy=none
camera=lbcm3m1 vram=12M omapfb.mode=dvi:640x480MR-16@60

so, why are you so surprised to see 640x480? :)

Find a serial cable and set the desired resolution in u-boot.

BTW guys, is it difficult to enable resolution change right from running linux? I tried xrandr with no luck

Robert Nelson

Sep 16, 2010, 10:32:58 AM9/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Maxim Podbereznyy <lisa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 mpurate=1000 buddy=none
> camera=lbcm3m1 vram=12M omapfb.mode=dvi:640x480MR-16@60
>
> so, why are you so surprised to see 640x480? :)
>
> Find a serial cable and set the desired resolution in u-boot.
>
> BTW guys, is it difficult to enable resolution change right from running
> linux? I tried xrandr with no luck

the dss2 stuff that sets the resolution isn't xrandr aware yet and
can't be changed on the fly**.. (** that i know off..)

So till those patches appear**, setting it at boot time with
boot.scr's is the only way..

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 10:38:10 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Because I get 1280x720 from setenv dvimode hd720.

OK - resigned to the fact that changing the resolution properly is
only possible via the serial terminal, thanks.

On 16 Sep, 15:23, Maxim Podbereznyy <lisar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kernel command line: console=ttyS2,115200n8 mpurate=1000 buddy=none
> camera=lbcm3m1 vram=12M omapfb.mode=dvi:640x480MR-16@60
>
> so, why are you so surprised to see 640x480? :)
>
> Find a serial cable and set the desired resolution in u-boot.
>
> BTW guys, is it difficult to enable resolution change right from running
> linux? I tried xrandr with no luck
>
> 2010/9/16 lchile <beaufortsc...@gmail.com>
>

> > Thanks - will copy the boot.scr later. I changed only the setenv
> > dvimode line in both the boot.scr and user.scr to both the same value.

> > ..

> > > That image should not make a difference for the resolution...
>
> > > Starting from the beginning, print out your boot.scr... (ignore the
> > > unreadable header crap)
>
> > > Next how are you changing the resolution? in the boot.scr?
>
> > > Regards,
>
> > > --
> > > Robert Nelsonhttp://www.rcn-ee.com/

Robert Nelson

Sep 16, 2010, 10:51:59 AM9/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:38 AM, lchile <beaufo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because I get 1280x720 from setenv dvimode hd720.
>
> OK - resigned to the fact that changing the resolution properly is
> only possible via the serial terminal, thanks.

the 'boot.scr' can be changed from a booted beagle too with mkimage...

copy boot.scr to boot.cmd remove the uboot header, edit the resolution
then rerun mkimage to regenerate the boot.scr and reboot...

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 11:02:24 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Ah, I thought I could edit the boot.scr and user.scr directly with
nano. Changing the offending line from 1280x1024MR-24@60 back to hd720
again gave the correct resolution.

lchile

Sep 16, 2010, 11:04:02 AM9/16/10
to Beagle Board
Sorry - I meant using nano hd720 was re-corrected, never got
1280x1024.
> > Robert Nelsonhttp://www.rcn-ee.com/- Hide quoted text -

Maxim Podbereznyy

Sep 16, 2010, 1:58:02 PM9/16/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you use serial through USB connection without RS-232 cables? All you need is mini-USB cable