Successfully compiled nodejs v0.6.13 on BeagleBone/Angström

Jan

Mar 17, 2012, 10:39:31 AM3/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Node 0.4.x being outdated and having no NPM, I decided to build a more recent version.

Followed the steps from here, with some changes:

Here is exactly what I did (make sure you have build essentials etc. installed):

# Get source
tar -xf node-v0.6.13.tar.gz
cd node-v0.6.13

# Edit deps/v8/SConstruct and add two compiler flags:
[...]
    'CCFLAGS': ['$DIALECTFLAGS', '$WARNINGFLAGS', '-march=armv7-a', '-mtune=cortex-a8'],
[...]

# I decided to leave the existing node intact and install this version for a node user.
./configure --path=$HOME/local

# Grab a coffee
make

# Almost done
make install

Build took <1h. Until now I haven't had any problems. Don't forget to add $HOME/local/bin to your user's PATH.

make test resulted in only 1 failed test, and I think that was related to the busybox curl version having problems with https.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Joheinz

Mar 17, 2012, 10:52:15 AM3/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! Can you already use this version with the installed cloud9 ide, or does that require extra steps?

Markus

Jan Kolkmeier

Mar 17, 2012, 10:58:26 AM3/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Cloud9 IDE it is still depending on 0.4.x (even the more recent versions!)
Specifically node has recently dropped "require.paths", which is used extensively in one place by cloud9
There are workarounds, but I expect this to be officially fixed soon anyway.

Koen Kooi

Mar 17, 2012, 2:39:20 PM3/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, beagl...@googlegroups.com
There are node 0.6.x recipes in openembedded as well

GreenLantern

Jan Kolkmeier

Apr 12, 2012, 9:44:17 AM4/12/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I suppose the easiest way is using a openembedded recipe, but I never did that before and failed to find any documentation on that myself.

What have you tried already? where are you stuck?

Koen Kooi

Apr 12, 2012, 9:55:46 AM4/12/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 17 mrt. 2012, om 15:58 heeft Jan Kolkmeier het volgende geschreven:

> Cloud9 IDE it is still depending on 0.4.x (even the more recent versions!)
> Specifically node has recently dropped "require.paths", which is used extensively in one place by cloud9
> There are workarounds, but I expect this to be officially fixed soon anyway.
>
> See the Issue on github: https://github.com/ajaxorg/cloud9/issues/394

A small update on this: there's now a special 'node4' binary specifically for cloud and 'node' now runs 0.6.14. I haven't been able to make the switch in cloud9 work, but progress nonetheless.