4.4-lts plans (4.1-lts not going away)

Robert Nelson

Jan 4, 2016, 10:48:54 AM1/4/16
to Beagle Board
Everyone,

We are about a week away from, 4.4.0 lts being released. (4.4.0-rc8
is still being built for every distro on the farm)..

I just want to ping and remind everyone with my plans.

I'd like to keep "4.1.x" going till the 4.(4+next) lts release...

Goals:

1:
If it worked in "4.1.x-bone" it "should (i need to fix sgx
(5.01.01.02))" work in "4.4.x-bone" (4.4.x-bone will use uio_pruss as
remoteproc_pruss is still not in mainline)

(please test and report things broken in 4.4.x-bone)

2:
New features/drivers/etc of course will be in "4.4.x-bone" (i'm not
planning to backport other drivers, instead recommend users upgrade to
4.4.x-bone)

3:
"bb.org-overlays" needs to work with both "4.1.x-bone" & "4.4.x-bone"

https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays

4:
RT: they'll be an "rt" variant of "4.4.x-bone" just like "4.1.x-bone"
but currently there are build issues, so not released..

5:
"update_kernel.sh" grew an "--lts-4_1" and "--lts-4_4" options, for
users who set this script up as a cron job "--lts" still points to
4.1.x but that will change in the next month..

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh ${options}

Mainline:

4.1.x-bone:

--bone-channel --lts-4_1

4.1.x-rt-bone:

--bone-rt-channel --lts-4_1

4.4.x-bone:

--bone-channel --lts-4_4

4.4.x-rt-bone: (when actually built..)

--bone-rt-channel --lts-4_4

For "4.1.x-ti" users, 4.4.x-ti will be coming, it'll just lag behind
for a few weeks..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Robert Nelson

Jan 4, 2016, 1:42:01 PM1/4/16
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> We are about a week away from, 4.4.0 lts being released. (4.4.0-rc8
> is still being built for every distro on the farm)..
>
> I just want to ping and remind everyone with my plans.
>
> I'd like to keep "4.1.x" going till the 4.(4+next) lts release...
>
> Goals:
>
> 1:
> If it worked in "4.1.x-bone" it "should (i need to fix sgx
> (5.01.01.02))" work in "4.4.x-bone" (4.4.x-bone will use uio_pruss as
> remoteproc_pruss is still not in mainline)
>
> (please test and report things broken in 4.4.x-bone)

i "think" sgx will work now:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/commit/a9924d79a6c8caa357dfc57873ddf3ef9bd078ef

Remember this the older "5.01.01.02" sgx lib's.. (aka if you where
using it and had it working in v4.1.x-bone..)

Robert Nelson

Jan 4, 2016, 2:25:29 PM1/4/16
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> We are about a week away from, 4.4.0 lts being released. (4.4.0-rc8
> is still being built for every distro on the farm)..
>
> I just want to ping and remind everyone with my plans.
>
> I'd like to keep "4.1.x" going till the 4.(4+next) lts release...
>
> Goals:
>
> 1:
> If it worked in "4.1.x-bone" it "should (i need to fix sgx
> (5.01.01.02))" work in "4.4.x-bone" (4.4.x-bone will use uio_pruss as
> remoteproc_pruss is still not in mainline)
>
> (please test and report things broken in 4.4.x-bone)
>
> 2:
> New features/drivers/etc of course will be in "4.4.x-bone" (i'm not
> planning to backport other drivers, instead recommend users upgrade to
> 4.4.x-bone)
>
> 3:
> "bb.org-overlays" needs to work with both "4.1.x-bone" & "4.4.x-bone"
>
> https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays
>
> 4:
> RT: they'll be an "rt" variant of "4.4.x-bone" just like "4.1.x-bone"
> but currently there are build issues, so not released..

RT boots with external patches:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/commits/am33x-rt-v4.4

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/commit/3259af1e75835a14a686c8887a7dc2aedf26181a

pushed out to the arm builder farm.

Lee Armstrong

Jan 4, 2016, 2:57:08 PM1/4/16
to BeagleBoard
Robert,

What is the difference between the bone and ti releases please?

Lee

Robert Nelson

Jan 4, 2016, 3:06:51 PM1/4/16
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Lee Armstrong <l...@pinkfroot.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> What is the difference between the bone and ti releases please?

bone = mainline + cape manager + git cherry picks from ti's kernel branch..

ti = ti's kernel branch + cape manager...

Almost everything ti develops, ends up in their ti kernel branch
before mainline..

Lee Armstrong

Jan 4, 2016, 3:09:32 PM1/4/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robert,

I'll admit I stuck to the ti release as this was part of the Jessie console image. Would you recommend staying with that?

Robert Nelson

Jan 4, 2016, 3:17:05 PM1/4/16
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Lee Armstrong <l...@pinkfroot.com> wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
>
> I'll admit I stuck to the ti release as this was part of the Jessie console
> image. Would you recommend staying with that?

We use the "4.1.x-ti" release as the default..

As it has very good support for both the BeagleBone's (am335x's) and
BeagleBoard-X15 (am57xx)

While the 'bone' branch is a little more tuned for the "am335x" (no
smp, pcie, etc).

Since with "bone" we track mainline, (v4.1.x-bone, v4.2.x-bone,
v4.3.x-bone, etc..) it's easy to push out "v4.4.x-bone" today, while
the "4.4.x-ti" branch is going to take a few weeks to rebase it's
v4.1.x-ti patchset.

All the kernel images are in the apt repo, so you are free to install
anything you want, via either the "update_kernel.sh" script or via
"apt-get install"

Lee Armstrong

Jan 4, 2016, 3:18:09 PM1/4/16
to Beagle Board
Understood. Very clear. Thank you

John Syne

Jan 4, 2016, 4:01:18 PM1/4/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
HI Robert,

I think you said that TI are pushing everything to mainline so after 4.4/4.5, there shouldn’t be that many patches remaining.

Regards,
John

Robert Nelson

Jan 4, 2016, 4:03:49 PM1/4/16
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 3:00 PM, John Syne <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI Robert,
>
> I think you said that TI are pushing everything to mainline so after 4.4/4.5, there shouldn’t be that many patches remaining.

yeah for am335x that delta is very small.. (remoteproc_m3 should hit
4.5) (hdmi audio is the big question.. )

Still lots for am57x. ;)

Jason Kridner

Jan 5, 2016, 2:24:22 AM1/5/16
to Beagle Board
What do folks think about switching to an -rt as the default? It seems -rt is a major usage for BeagleBone and the builds seem to be working rather nicely. Thoughts?

Rick Mann

Jan 5, 2016, 3:48:12 AM1/5/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

> On Jan 4, 2016, at 23:23 , Jason Kridner <jason....@hangerhead.com> wrote:
>
> What do folks think about switching to an -rt as the default? It seems -rt is a major usage for BeagleBone and the builds seem to be working rather nicely. Thoughts?

I'm all for reducing the number of variants out there, but I've never tried an -rt build. I assume that's "realtime?" What are its drawbacks compared to the non-rt version?

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:03 PM Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 3:00 PM, John Syne <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > HI Robert,
> >
> > I think you said that TI are pushing everything to mainline so after 4.4/4.5, there shouldn’t be that many patches remaining.
>
> yeah for am335x that delta is very small.. (remoteproc_m3 should hit
> 4.5) (hdmi audio is the big question.. )
>
> Still lots for am57x. ;)
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Robert Nelson
> https://rcn-ee.com/
>
> --

Rick Mann
rm...@latencyzero.com

Robert Nelson

Jan 5, 2016, 9:28:20 AM1/5/16
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Jason Kridner
<jason....@hangerhead.com> wrote:
> What do folks think about switching to an -rt as the default? It seems -rt
> is a major usage for BeagleBone and the builds seem to be working rather
> nicely. Thoughts?

I'm pretty happy with 4.1.x-rt in day to day usage..

William Hermans

Jan 5, 2016, 11:37:54 AM1/5/16
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
4.1.x-rt is all I've been using for the last several months. No problems that I'm aware of.

Robert Nelson

Jan 5, 2016, 5:18:21 PM1/5/16
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Jason Kridner
> <jason....@hangerhead.com> wrote:
>> What do folks think about switching to an -rt as the default? It seems -rt
>> is a major usage for BeagleBone and the builds seem to be working rather
>> nicely. Thoughts?
>
> I'm pretty happy with 4.1.x-rt in day to day usage..

After fixing aufs (docker.io)

i pushed 4.1.x-ti-rt to github.com/beagleboard/linux

https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/tree/4.1

https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/tree/4.1.13-ti-rt-r39

4.1.13-ti-rt-r39 now is being built and will be the default for
sunday's snapshot..