EHCI host stops working after rebuild kernel

beyounn

Jun 24, 2009, 6:57:13 PM6/24/09
to Beagle Board
All,
I have a Rev C board. I built a new kernel for BB by following
instructions from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardLinuxKernel. After I
loaded the new uImage, none of the usb devices works. I have two self
powered USB hubs connected to the EHCI host connector. And I'm using
OTG to provide power to the BB. After boot up the linux kernel, the
LED on the hubs ports are all off. I tried to plug and unplug the USB
cable, nothing shows up in the dmesg. It more likes that the BB does
not detect the EHCI host at all. Is there something specical I need to
do to make EHCI host to work?

BTW--the USB works perfectly, when use the kernel from
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu.
Thanks
Yi

Robert Nelson

Jun 29, 2009, 7:53:43 PM6/29/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Due to the issue you are seeing, you are probably missing this patch:

http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/linux/linux-omap-2.6.29/beagleboard/ehci.patch

ehci.patch is a zero length file in "./linux-omap-2.6.29" the overo
and beagleboard have different variations of it in their respected
directories, bitbake correctly understands this..

PS. You should really subscribe, otherwise there can be a slight
delay: "On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:57 PM, beyounn<bey...@gmail.com>
wrote"

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Yi Sun

Jun 29, 2009, 8:16:14 PM6/29/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks.
Yi

Favor Tang

Jun 29, 2009, 9:43:52 PM6/29/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
hi,

I have a Rev B5 board, after I build a new kernel for BB, I can't
use mouse and keyboard via OTG, I used a powered USB hub connected to
the OTG host connector.

and when I tried to plug and unplug the USB cable, no response
happened on the terminal console, nothing shows up in the dmesg.

so, do I needed extra patches to fix this issue?

thanks
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/favor

Robert Nelson

Jun 29, 2009, 10:15:47 PM6/29/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Favor Tang<tan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
>   I have a Rev B5 board,  after I build a new kernel for BB, I can't
> use mouse and keyboard via OTG, I used a powered USB hub connected to
> the OTG host connector.
>
> and when I  tried to plug and unplug the USB cable, no response
> happened on the terminal console, nothing shows up in the dmesg.
>
> so, do I needed extra patches to fix this issue?
>
> thanks

As a quick test, if this uImage (1) fixes your usb issue, then
probably yes. (Assuming your using 2.6.29 as a base from omap git...)

1: http://www.rcn-ee.com/deb/kernel/CC-beagle-v2.6.29-58cf2f1-oer32

Favor Tang

Jun 30, 2009, 1:05:26 AM6/30/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
hi,

just cool, it fixes my usb issue ;),

why does the kernel you gave me fix my usb issue?

do you know which patches I missed?

thanks for your kindly help.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/favor

Robert Nelson

Jun 30, 2009, 9:25:07 AM6/30/09
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Favor Tang<tan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
>  just cool, it fixes my usb issue ;),
>
> why does the kernel you gave me fix my usb issue?
>
> do you know which patches I missed?
>
> thanks for your kindly help.

I'm going to guess your also missing the ehci.patch. I do have a
kernel patch & build writeup here:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Normal_Kernel_Build (not much
difference between oer34 and oer32)..