[ece497] Beagle-based Embedded Class

Mark A. Yoder

Mar 11, 2011, 2:43:07 PM3/11/11
to Beagle Board
The purpose of this email is to announce that I'm once again teaching
a 32-bit Embedded Linux class based on the BeagleBoard [1]. I'm
teaching as open-source as I can and have have posted many of course
materials on eLinux.org [2].

I'm always open to ideas on what topics to include in the class and
suggestions for interesting course projects. For example I just
picked up a couple Kinects [3] and hope to have a couple of teams
doing interesting things with them.

--Mark

--Prof. Mark A. Yoder
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology [4]

[1] http://elinux.org/ECE497_-_32-bit_Embedded_Linux,_Rose-Hulman
[2] http://elinux.org/Category:ECE497
[3] http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect
[4] http://www.rose-hulman.edu

Aaron Bamberger

Mar 11, 2011, 2:50:13 PM3/11/11
to Beagle Board
Ok, to start off the flood of student posts: Hi, I'm in the class.
Aaron Bamberger
Junior Computer Engineer, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Email 1: bamberad [at] rose-hulman [dot] edu
Email 2: aaron [dot] bamberger [at] gmail [dot] com

Michael Lester

Mar 11, 2011, 2:51:32 PM3/11/11
to Beagle Board
I'm one of the students in the class and I'm really looking forward to
building up my embedded linux knowledge so I can help the BeagleBoard
project in the future.

--Mike Lester
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Message has been deleted

mayhewsw

Mar 11, 2011, 3:03:10 PM3/11/11
to Beagle Board
Hi - I am one of the students in the class.

Bill Traynor

Mar 11, 2011, 5:04:32 PM3/11/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 14:43, Mark A. Yoder <mark.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
The purpose of this email is to announce that I'm once again teaching
a 32-bit Embedded Linux class based on the BeagleBoard [1].  I'm
teaching as open-source as I can and have have posted many of course
materials on eLinux.org [2].

Hi Mark,

Thanks for using elinux.org to host this material again.  If there's anything I can do as the elinux.org admin to help, please feel free to let me know.

I'm always open to ideas on what topics to include in the class and
suggestions for interesting course projects.  For example I just
picked up a couple Kinects [3] and hope to have a couple of teams
doing interesting things with them.

--Mark

--Prof. Mark A. Yoder
 Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology [4]

[1] http://elinux.org/ECE497_-_32-bit_Embedded_Linux,_Rose-Hulman
[2] http://elinux.org/Category:ECE497
[3] http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect
[4] http://www.rose-hulman.edu

whatnick

Mar 11, 2011, 11:16:32 PM3/11/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I have been working with the kinect and beagleboard for a while now. Just got the xM going with the kinect. Since libfreenect is now included in angstrom, this is quite easy. Drop me a note if you are interested in making a GLES client for the kinect - http://whatnicklife.blogspot.com/2011/03/kinect-beagleboard-xm.html.

Cheers,

whatnick.

Gokul.C

Mar 12, 2011, 11:39:44 AM3/12/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Im one of the students in the class...

--
Gokul.C

David Bliss

Mar 12, 2011, 2:07:58 PM3/12/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am one of the students in the class. After learning the ropes, I look forward to seeing what type of visual, audio, or 3D processing the Beagle can handle.

--David Bliss

hulettbh

Mar 12, 2011, 2:46:23 PM3/12/11
to Beagle Board
Hey, Im yet another student in the class. I decided to take it after
working with a DaVinci DM365 Evaluation Module for my senior project.
I realized just how much I didn't know about this area, so it will be
nice to fill in those gaps somewhat.

Brian Hulette
Senior Computer Engineering Major

michael fuson

Mar 12, 2011, 5:39:41 PM3/12/11
to Beagle Board

I'm a student in the course.

-Mike Fuson

Mike Fuson

Mar 12, 2011, 5:46:13 PM3/12/11
to Beagle Board

I'm in this class as well. I'm looking foward to doing something with
the DSP on the board.

Mike Fuson

omap geek

Mar 12, 2011, 11:20:17 PM3/12/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Well..are the classes going to start??  or they have already started ? or they've already finished?

Mike Fuson

Mar 13, 2011, 1:02:20 AM3/13/11
to Beagle Board
We just started the this past week.

On Mar 12, 11:20 pm, omap geek <ti.omap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well..are the classes going to start??  or they have already started ? or
> they've already finished?

Julian Ametsitsi

Mar 13, 2011, 2:59:49 PM3/13/11
to Beagle Board
I am a student in this course planning to explore a project using the
Kinect.

Julian Ametsitsi
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Computer Engineering 2011

Joel Carlson

Mar 13, 2011, 7:57:24 PM3/13/11
to Beagle Board
I'm one of the students. My motivations for being in this class are
largely similar to Brian Hulette's (previous post), as I was working
on the same senior project with him.

allensj

Mar 13, 2011, 9:58:06 PM3/13/11
to Beagle Board
Hello,

I am a student in the class as well. I am a Junior Computer
Engineering major and I am looking forward to putting my knowledge of
Linux to the test.

-Sam Allen

jay.t...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2011, 4:12:46 AM3/14/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all-

I am also one of the students in the class. My main interest is learning more about the Beagle Board as a whole.

JayDial

William Gerth

Mar 14, 2011, 8:11:46 AM3/14/11
to Beagle Board
Hey everyone, I'm another student in the class; my name is William
Gerth and I'm a senior computer engineering major at Rose-Hulman. I'm
really interested in using the Beagle for audio/video processing, or
for augmented reality stuff like Project Jarvis. If I turn out to be
savvy enough, I may see about implementing Archos' software on the
Beagle via the Open AOS project.

DouglasSelby

Mar 22, 2011, 8:08:00 AM3/22/11
to Beagle Board
Hello, I'm also in the Beagleboard class. Very much excited to expand
my knowledge about how linux runs on non-desktop environments and how
to customize it and run different devices from the Beagleboard.

Douglas Selby
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Computer Engineering 2012

Jason Kridner

Mar 25, 2011, 4:51:15 PM3/25/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Anyone attending http://www.meetup.com/OpenKinect/events/17019163/ ?

> --Mark
>
> --Prof. Mark A. Yoder
>  Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology [4]
>
> [1] http://elinux.org/ECE497_-_32-bit_Embedded_Linux,_Rose-Hulman
> [2] http://elinux.org/Category:ECE497
> [3] http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect
> [4] http://www.rose-hulman.edu

Mark A. Yoder

Sep 14, 2011, 11:43:40 AM9/14/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I've added more material to my BeagleClass.  Check here [1] to see a list of topics I teach, with links to some 20 exercises.

The first group shows how to read the gpio pins, use the PWM timers, and use I2C devices.  The next group shows how to use gdb and make on the Beagle.  The next group of exercises show how to use ALSA to do audio IO and V4L2 and the DSS for video IO.  Along the way c6run is used to run the audio through the DSP.

All these exercises are run completely on the BeagleBoard, no need for a host computer.

Let me know if you find these useful.  What other labs should be added?

Rick Chung

Sep 20, 2011, 9:55:16 AM9/20/11
to Beagle Board
Hi Prof. Yoder:

Thanks for your kindly sharing the course material ECE497,

I'm new to BeagleBoard XM and trying to implement some embedded system
experiments on it.

So I'm trying to follow every steps from the Labs[1].

But I got stuck on "Lab02 Installing the Angstrom Distribution
Old"[2],

Lots of compile error message occur while using bitbake to create
console-image.

I thought the problems are caused by different environment
configuration and some system detail.

And I was trying to figure out the resources on "Lab02 Installing the
Angstrom Distribution Old"[3]

But I don't have the permission to access the sftp in rose-hulman.edu.

Will it be possible for you to put the resources that needed in Lab02
on public?

Very appreciate for your kindness.

Best Regards,

Rick Chung

[1]http://elinux.org/Category:ECE497
[2]http://elinux.org/
ECE497_Lab02_Installing_The_Angstrom_Distribution_Old
[3]http://elinux.org/ECE497_Lab02_Installing_The_Angstrom_Distribution

Mark A. Yoder

Sep 20, 2011, 9:54:15 PM9/20/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Rick:
  I suggest you go through the topics here [1].  They are the most up to date and should be accessible to you.

--Mark

Mark A. Yoder

Nov 28, 2011, 10:36:16 AM11/28/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The purpose of this post is to announce that for the third time, I'm teaching

david...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2011, 4:46:18 PM11/28/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am one of the students in the winter of 2011 section of this class and am looking forward to expanding my embedded linux knowledge.

-David Zitnik

harr...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2011, 6:07:45 PM11/28/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
My name is Greg Harrison, I am a EE student at Rose looking forward to learning and implementing embedded Linux in this class

Charlie Fullerton

Nov 28, 2011, 7:22:58 PM11/28/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
OK.. is someone cross posting here or did this group get hijacked by a
school?? :-)

On 11/28/2011 6:07 PM, harr...@gmail.com wrote:
> My name is Greg Harrison, I am a EE student at Rose looking forward to
> learning and implementing embedded Linux in this class

> --
> Groups "Beagle Board" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/-/QDVOMZevGgIJ.

Tom King

Nov 28, 2011, 7:27:16 PM11/28/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
if its FOSS and uses BeagleBoard looks pretty much on topic to me!
(especially if I can use it too for my Son)

Tom

ziyi.z...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2011, 9:04:40 PM11/28/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am Ziggy (Ziyi Zhang), also the student in this new session of class this quarter. It seems it's a fun but also challenging course, just looking forward to master the necessary skills and finally come up with something productive at the end.

Mark A. Yoder

Nov 29, 2011, 11:03:01 AM11/29/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I'm leading Occupy Beagle. :->

Actually, I'm requiring my class to post a reply so I know they have seen the group and will start using it.  At first they will be sponges, but later I hope they are contributing.

--Mark

yuhas...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2011, 11:31:54 AM11/29/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I'm one of the students in class and I'm really excited to learn more about Linux and embedded systems.

Yifei Li

Nov 29, 2011, 1:52:36 PM11/29/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This is Yifei Li. I am also a new student in this class. I am quite interested in beagleboard, and very looking forward to learn new stuffs here!

Rajiv Biswas

Nov 30, 2011, 12:47:42 AM11/30/11
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Too great stuff...Thanks for the Materials and the support...There is really alot one can
learn from them..