ULCD7 Touchscreen Ubuntu

TJ - Onlinegeek

Mar 25, 2012, 2:48:42 PM3/25/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have a ULCD7 touchscreen that I am trying to get working on my beagleboard xm w/ ubuntu. I currently have the display working correctly but I cannot seem to get the touch features working. Does anyone have any advice?

Kets

Jul 10, 2012, 1:19:59 AM7/10/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Even I am facing this issue. Were you able to get any fix for this issue.Touchscreen works fine with Angstrom image but does not work with ubuntu. I am using beagle board XM rev C1.

Robert Nelson

Jul 10, 2012, 8:00:27 AM7/10/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Kets <ketan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even I am facing this issue. Were you able to get any fix for this
> issue.Touchscreen works fine with Angstrom image but does not work with
> ubuntu. I am using beagle board XM rev C1.

So, if Angstrom works, any change with this kernel and modules:

http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/testing/beagleboard/3.2-touchscreen/

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Kets

Jul 10, 2012, 11:51:17 PM7/10/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The Angstrom image that was tested working was provided by ulcd7 on http://beagleboardtoys.com/wiki/index.php?title=ULCD7_Lite
Image link mentioned here is: http://beagleboardtoys.com/wiki/ulcd7/ULCD7_Lite_Demo_09_27_11.7z

Regards,
Ketan

Robert Nelson

Jul 10, 2012, 11:56:32 PM7/10/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I got that from your first email... ;) So did you have a chance
to test that image I posted, to see if that one small change I did
fixed it, or...

Kets

Jul 11, 2012, 5:40:12 AM7/11/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Sorry for these question, but I am a beginner in this. Can you please help me understanding where to keep these files in sd card so that right modules are loaded after bootup.

The files shared are :
3.2.22-x13.1-modules.tar.gz
3.2.22-x13.1.config
3.2.22-x13.1.uImage
3.2.22-x13.1.zImage

In the sd card we have boot and the rootfs partitions. I tried un-tarring the 3.2.22-x13.1-modules.tar.gz at / of rootfs so that all the /.
Next kept the 3.2.22-x13.1.zImage as zImage in /boot partition. How about the rest and any scripts to be run after that?

Thanks,
Ketan

Robert Nelson

Jul 11, 2012, 7:33:40 AM7/11/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
To be safe with your image.. also copy 3.2.22-x13.1.uImage as "uImage"
to the fat boot directory.. (it was just recently that we converted
to using zimages..)

Next boot the image, and run the "update_boot_files.sh" script found
under : "/boot/uboot/tools/"

It'll sync everything else up.. then reboot the beagle..

Kets

Jul 11, 2012, 8:46:29 AM7/11/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Tested this. Touchscreen does not work still on ulcd7.

Also just wanted to bring another point here that upon first boot the screen was seen rotated and mirrored. hence added following in uEnv.txt to rectify this:

lcd1=i2c mw 40 00 00; i2c mw 40 04 80; i2c mw 40 0d 05
uenvcmd=i2c dev 1; run lcd1; i2c dev 0

Thanks,
Ketan

Robert Nelson

Jul 11, 2012, 9:24:20 AM7/11/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Kets <ketan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Tested this. Touchscreen does not work still on ulcd7.

Crap, thanks for testing... It worked a month ago, i wonder what
changed... Will try to look at it again this weekend..

> Also just wanted to bring another point here that upon first boot the screen
> was seen rotated and mirrored. hence added following in uEnv.txt to rectify
> this:
>
> lcd1=i2c mw 40 00 00; i2c mw 40 04 80; i2c mw 40 0d 05
> uenvcmd=i2c dev 1; run lcd1; i2c dev 0

Strange, are you sure your using my image, as i patched u-boot to do
that automatically...

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/Bootloader-Builder/blob/master/patches/v2012.04/0001-beagle-ulcd-passthru-support.patch#L66

and it's also done by another kernel driver..

Kets

Jul 11, 2012, 11:19:05 PM7/11/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I had used http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/precise/ubuntu-12.04-r4-minimal-armhf-2012-06-28.tar.xz image for testing with ulcd7 and had run through above steps for 3.2.22-x13.1 (the one shared by you for testing). I will give a try at ubuntu-12.04-r3-minimal-armhf.tar.xz as well now.

Before that I tried with http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/oneiric/ubuntu-11.10-r8-minimal-armel.tar.xz that was working fine with our old ulcd7 (even touchscreen was working fine) after upgrade and installing gdm and xubuntu-desktop. However our old Ulcd7 faced some issues that cannot be used for testing any more and we procured a new ulcd7 that I am testing with. So not sure of any change in the ulcd7.

Could you please give me some pointers that I can check so as to verify that the touch events are received by the kernel?

Regards,
Ketan

Robert Nelson

Jul 12, 2012, 11:53:33 AM7/12/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Strange, it's working just fine here, with 3.2.22-x13 on
precise-armhf.. Reponding to events, movements etc... Just a little
odd as i haven't run any X-calibration routine, as it seems to be
mirrored on the center line... touching bottom left puts the pointer
in the upper left, till you move to the center.. left to right is
fine..

Kets

Jul 16, 2012, 11:36:33 PM7/16/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I am trying to rebuild the u-boot for testing the ulcd. First time when i build the u-boot and booted the sd card with new u-boot.img and MLO touch worked. But just to confirm i had reverted the u-boot.img and MLO back and tested. After this never worked. After below changes, I do see that kernel bootup shows detection of expansion board ULCD and "initializing the tsc2007" messages in the dmesg. Kindly verify my build steps of u-boot for beagle board XM.

Following steps were followed as per http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBoard :
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/u-boot-2012.04.01.tar.bz2

Applied four pactches:
patch -p1 < 0001-enable-bootz-support-for-ti-omap-targets.patch
patch -p1 < 0001-beagle-fix-dvi-variable-set-higher-resolution.patch
patch -p1 < 0001-beagle-ulcd-passthru-support.patch
patch -p1 < 0001-beagle-fix-timed-out-in-wait_for_bb-message-in-SPL.patch

Modifed
board/ti/beagle/beagle.c file for testing purpose:
changed :

switch (get_expansion_id(EXPANSION_EEPROM_I2C_ADDRESS + 1)) {
to:
switch (BBTOYS_ULCD/*get_expansion_id(EXPANSION_EEPROM_I2C_ADDRESS + 1)*/) {

I am building on beagle board, so did the following:
make omap3_beagle_config
make

After this, transferred the u-boot.img and MLO to /boot partition. Reboot the beagle board.
After boot-up, run /boot/uboot/tools/update_boot_files.sh and reboot again.

Thanks,
Ketan

Kets

Jul 17, 2012, 3:57:58 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Finally touchscreen works with above changes in uboot and kernel shared (http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/testing/beagleboard/3.2-touchscreen/ ).
However, the display resolution seems to be having some problem. I will try to set the resolution manually now.

Regards,
Ketan

Kets

Jul 17, 2012, 6:16:04 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Hi Robert,

May I know the changes done in http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/testing/beagleboard/3.2-touchscreen/

Regards,
Ketan

Robert Nelson

Jul 17, 2012, 7:46:17 AM7/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yeap, it's shifted 10-20 pixels with that specific test image, so
don't use that image..

Kets

Jul 18, 2012, 2:32:25 AM7/18/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot for your help.
Apart from shifting by 10-20 pixels, are there any changes done for the touchscreen that must have made it work?

Regards,
Ketan

Kets

Jul 19, 2012, 1:57:18 AM7/19/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I have managed to build the kernel and deploy the same from the latest git repository. I still face the touchscreen issue. Besides this I get following error in dmesg ;"EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro"

Any changes/suggestions for this would be of great help..

Regards,
Ketan

Kets

Jul 20, 2012, 12:43:27 AM7/20/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there any one who has faced such issues:
1. Touchscreen not working in ubuntu but working with ulcd7 image
2. dmesg showing "EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro"

Any solution for these?

Regards,
Ketan

Juan

Aug 13, 2012, 9:17:01 AM8/13/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, online...@gmail.com
Any news with this issue? Is the ULCD7 touchscreen working with Ubuntu?

Kets

Aug 14, 2012, 4:00:31 AM8/14/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, online...@gmail.com
No. It still does not work for me. I am using kernel version 3.4.7. Does it work for you?

Regards,
Ketan

Juan

Aug 16, 2012, 4:19:37 AM8/16/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, online...@gmail.com
Not yet. I am running, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.23-psp18 armv7l).

I have used this script for the installation: sudo ./setup_sdcard.sh --mmc /dev/sdb --uboot bone --addon ulcd , following the instructions in
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Precise_12.04_armhf . I have no installed X11. How can I check if Touchscreen feature is working?

I can run a QT Application example, and it works OK with mouse and keypad, but with touchscreen does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Robert Nelson

Aug 16, 2012, 7:28:49 AM8/16/12
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:19 AM, Juan <jido...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not yet. I am running, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.23-psp18 armv7l).
>
> I have used this script for the installation: sudo ./setup_sdcard.sh --mmc
> /dev/sdb --uboot bone --addon ulcd , following the instructions in
> http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Precise_12.04_armhf .

Hi Juan, "--addon ulcd" is not needed for the Bone/LCD7 combo, as that
setup is detected on bootup...

> I have no
> installed X11. How can I check if Touchscreen feature is working?
>
> I can run a QT Application example, and it works OK with mouse and keypad,
> but with touchscreen does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Strange, it should be working, i guess we are missing a touchscreen
config somewhere..

Juan

Aug 16, 2012, 7:54:23 AM8/16/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, online...@gmail.com
In console mode I can check that the mouse is working with this command: cat /dev/input/mouse0

Can I check the touchscreen with a similar command?

Juan

Aug 16, 2012, 7:56:51 AM8/16/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, online...@gmail.com
Maybe some option in the compilation of the QT libraries? Before re-compile the libraries I would like to check the touchscreen is working

Arnold Ligurs

Sep 4, 2012, 8:47:18 PM9/4/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, online...@gmail.com

sent from my phone...

On Sep 3, 2012 10:49 AM, "Venecodosk" <venec...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, you can do it.

cat /dev/{hardware name} | hexdump

I read that sometimes  linux show this name's touchscreen:
/dev/touchscreeen
/dev/ts
/dev/input/touchscreeen
/dev/input/ts

if you don't find any name, you can try in:

/dev/input/event{Number}

whereas {Number} is a number for everyone input's hardware.

In my case:

/dev/input/event0 for a touchscreen
/dev/input/event1 for a gpio buttons
/dev/input/event2 for a mouse
/dev/input/event3 for a keyboard

Regards,

Diego
-- To join: http://beagleboard.org/discuss
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
beagleboard...@googlegroups.com
Frequently asked questions: http://beagleboard.org/faq

Juan

Oct 5, 2012, 3:53:12 AM10/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, online...@gmail.com
Ok, I have some news. By default there is no input  for the touchscreen, I have:

/dev/input/event0 ---> keyboard
/dev/input/event1 ----> screen cursor buttons.

After running --> sudo modprobe ti_tscadc   I have:

/dev/input/event2
/dev/input/mouse0

and both show me "something" when I execute : sudo cat /dev/event2  or  sudo cat /dev/mouse0  and  I touch the screen.

So after that I know the touchscreen is working.

Anybody knows what I should do to enable it in QT applications?

Best regards.

Juan

Oct 8, 2012, 6:45:23 AM10/8/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I have set the enviroment variables:

export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event2
export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO = $TSLIB_TSDEVICE

After login as root,
I have tried the command: ts_test,  but I have this answer: selected device is not a touchscreen I understand

I have also tried : /dev/input/mouse0 but I get the same result.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Juan

Oct 8, 2012, 10:37:42 AM10/8/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody knows if there is a bug in the tslib of the Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.30-psp23 armv7l) ?

liyaoshi

Oct 8, 2012, 9:32:02 PM10/8/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Ts_lib and ts_calibrate works for me

You should check your Touch screen driver .

In some case , Touch screen will use the driver of usb hid . instead of usb touch .

check your kernel driver first

if your ts_calibrate works , check your qt build optoin . add tslib support

2012/10/8 Juan <jido...@gmail.com>

Walter Schilling

Oct 17, 2012, 8:38:00 AM10/17/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I'm battling the same issue with trying to get my screen to work properly.  My ULCD7  is currently upside down and mirrored.  I think it's something with the uEnv.txt file, but I'm having difficulty determining exactly what each piece of the file does.  Is there a website or man page detailing the contents of this file?

JuKno

Oct 18, 2012, 9:13:04 AM10/18/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, online...@gmail.com
Hi there,

I am running Beaglebone with LCD7 Cape and Ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE.

After following the instructions given by the following link, my touchscreen works.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=&pli=1#!topic/beagleboard/ROkzYqkbk00

the only problem I have now, is how to calirate the touchscreen....
... any ideas ?

With best regards

Juergen