ENC28J60 Click on PocketBeagle

Steven Keller

Oct 6, 2017, 2:36:14 AM10/6/17
to BeagleBoard
I got the ENC28J60 Click module functioning fairly quickly but I wanted to share what I needed to do.  Hopefully, it will help the next person who goes down this road.

I used these headers from Digi-Key: SAM1204-18-ND (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samtec-inc/SSQ-118-03-T-D/SAM1204-18-ND/1111842)

I am using Debian 9.1 2017-09-21

I had to update the bb-cape-overlays by using the following command.  (In order for this to work you need to have an internet connection through the USB port.  Go here for more info: http://ofitselfso.com/BeagleNotes/HowToConnectBeagleboneBlackToTheInternetViaUSB.php  )

sudo apt update ; sudo apt install bb-cape-overlays

More info on mikroBus Click boards support can be found here: https://github.com/beagleboard/pocketbeagle/wiki/mikroBus%E2%84%A2-Click-Boards

I edited /boot/uEnv.txt to the following:

###Overide capes with eeprom
uboot_overlay_addr0
=/lib/firmware/PB-SPI0-ETH-CLICK.dtbo
#uboot_overlay_addr1=/lib/firmware/<file1>.dtbo
#uboot_overlay_addr2=/lib/firmware/<file2>.dtbo
#uboot_overlay_addr3=/lib/firmware/<file3>.dtbo

After reboot, it "just worked"!

My Download and Upload speeds from speedtest.net were about 2.7Mbit/sec.   Not a speed demon but fast enough for IoT work.

Next step is to get a NimbeLink cellular modem working.

Graham

Oct 6, 2017, 8:48:03 PM10/6/17
to BeagleBoard

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 1:36:14 AM UTC-5, Steven Keller wrote:

My Download and Upload speeds from speedtest.net were about 2.7Mbit/sec.   Not a speed demon but fast enough for IoT work.

Steven:

Thanks for the report.

How do you get speedtest.net to report the Down and up  speeds for a PocketBeagle?

--- Graham

==

Steven Keller

Oct 7, 2017, 3:00:56 AM10/7/17
to BeagleBoard
I installed speedtest-cli with this:

sudo apt install speedtest-cli

And ran it with this:

speedtest-cli

Graham

Oct 7, 2017, 6:30:38 PM10/7/17
to BeagleBoard
Steven:

Thanks for pointing out speedtest-cli.

I followed your tutorial and got my ETH-WIZ 10/100 Mbps Click running, since Robert released the overlay for that yesterday.

The one addition to your tutorial is that it also required upgrading the kernel to 4.9 as part of the install, per Robert's instructions for the ETH-WIZ.

As you say, it boots, and just works.

Running speedtest-cli ...
I get 3.3 Mbps down, and 4.6 Mbps up.

Confirmed that the chip had negotiated a 100 Mbps connection, so not the connection.

I note that, in reading the source for the '.dtbo', that the SPI clock is set to 12 MHZ.
Recompiled the '.dtbo' with SPI clock at 24 MHz.
Now, I get 3.8 Mbps down and 5.9 Mbps up, so the SPI transfer speed increase helps, but is not the bottleneck.

My network measures 71 down and 5.9 Up, so at least, I can max out my network connection on the uplink.

--- Graham

==

Robert Nelson

Oct 7, 2017, 7:03:13 PM10/7/17
to Beagle Board, gh7...@gmail.com

On Oct 7, 2017 5:30 PM, "Graham" <gh7...@gmail.com> wrote:
Steven:

Thanks for pointing out speedtest-cli.

I followed your tutorial and got my ETH-WIZ 10/100 Mbps Click running, since Robert released the overlay for that yesterday.

The one addition to your tutorial is that it also required upgrading the kernel to 4.9 as part of the install, per Robert's instructions for the ETH-WIZ.

As you say, it boots, and just works.

Running speedtest-cli ...
I get 3.3 Mbps down, and 4.6 Mbps up.

Confirmed that the chip had negotiated a 100 Mbps connection, so not the connection.

I note that, in reading the source for the '.dtbo', that the SPI clock is set to 12 MHZ.
Recompiled the '.dtbo' with SPI clock at 24 MHz.

How fast can you push the spi bus? I've just used the 12 mhz, as it was the default for one of the device tree in the docs..

Regards,

Graham Haddock

Oct 7, 2017, 7:09:20 PM10/7/17
to BeagleBoard
The possible bus frequencies are integer divisors of 48 MHz, so only option above 24 MHz is 48 MHz.
Spec on the W5500 chip says it will run up to 80 MHz.
So, I will recompile the ".dtbo' for 48 and report.
--- Graham

==

William Hermans

Oct 7, 2017, 7:13:29 PM10/7/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:

How fast can you push the spi bus? I've just used the 12 mhz, as it was the default for one of the device tree in the docs..

Regards,

Yeah what Graham said. I seem to recall that the SPI bus could potentially handle faster speeds too. But I've also read that above ~48Mhz the bus can get noisy.

Graham

Oct 7, 2017, 7:44:41 PM10/7/17
to BeagleBoard
I recompiled the '.dtbo' for 48 MHz SPI clock, which is the maximum for the Sitara.

Seems to work fine for a quick check.

Ran speedtest-cli, which moves a fair amount of data through it...
Download: 4.76 Mbit/s
Upload: 5.96 Mbit/s

Upload speed is probably constrained by my network, not the ETH-WIZ

--- Graham

==

Steven Keller

Oct 7, 2017, 10:19:40 PM10/7/17
to BeagleBoard
I wonder if there is away to measure the processor overhead between the ENC28 and the WIZ chip. Network thruput is not drastically different but curios which is most efficent use of processor.

The ENC28 has Max SPI clock of 20Mhz so if I understand Graham's explanation we could go up to 16Mhz on spi.

Steven Keller

Oct 7, 2017, 11:02:39 PM10/7/17
to BeagleBoard
Additional notes:
When I got this first working I was using: Kernel Version 4.4.88

it will tell you which Kernel and Overlay versions you need for a given Click board.

You might need to upgrade your kernel using:

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh
sudo reboot

See this for more info on kernel updating: https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

Robert Nelson

Oct 9, 2017, 1:15:07 PM10/9/17
to Beagle Board, Graham Haddock
On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Graham <gra...@flex-radio.com> wrote:
> I recompiled the '.dtbo' for 48 MHz SPI clock, which is the maximum for the
> Sitara.
>
> Seems to work fine for a quick check.
>
> Ran speedtest-cli, which moves a fair amount of data through it...
> Download: 4.76 Mbit/s
> Upload: 5.96 Mbit/s
>
> Upload speed is probably constrained by my network, not the ETH-WIZ

Hi Graham,

Has this survived the weekend? (any random loss of connection?)

I'm bumped it to 24Mhz by default, but would like to bump it again to 48Mhz..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Graham

Oct 9, 2017, 2:25:47 PM10/9/17
to BeagleBoard
I have never seen it fail, but since the USB power goes off when my computer goes into deep sleep, it has never been run for more than a few hours at a time.

It is at home.

I'll set it up on a permanent power supply and run it continuously for a few days, and report back

I think you also have a request from Steven to bump the SPI Clock on the ETH Click to 16 MHz.
I don't have one of those to test.

--- Graham

==

Robert Nelson

Oct 9, 2017, 2:30:33 PM10/9/17
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM, Graham <gra...@flex-radio.com> wrote:
> I have never seen it fail, but since the USB power goes off when my computer
> goes into deep sleep, it has never been run for more than a few hours at a
> time.
>
> It is at home.
>
> I'll set it up on a permanent power supply and run it continuously for a few
> days, and report back

Yeah, then shortly mine locked up at 48Mhz... i'll leave it at 24Mhz
for now, and we will see how things go..

> I think you also have a request from Steven to bump the SPI Clock on the ETH
> Click to 16 MHz.
> I don't have one of those to test.

Tested and bumped that to 16Mhz this morning. ;)

Graham

Oct 10, 2017, 10:33:16 AM10/10/17
to BeagleBoard
The ETH-WIZ locked up overnight running at 48 MHz SPI-Clock.

I moved it down to 24 MHz and rebooted.  I'll let it run for the rest of the week.

--- Graham

==

Graham

Oct 10, 2017, 11:07:19 PM10/10/17
to BeagleBoard
The MAC address on this ETH-WIZ is unstable.

The original MAC address was the same Saturday through Tuesday, through many reboots and different image installations.

I updated the kernel tonight, and after rebooting, the ETH-WIZ appeared to stop working, but it turns out the MAC address had changed, so the PB was assigned a different IP address.

I then did another reboot, and it came up on a third MAC address (and another IP address assigned by the router.)

Another few reboots and a few power cycles, and it has not changed again, yet.

None of the three MAC addresses had a legitimate OUI.

So there is a random number generator somewhere making up MAC addresses (which is a violation of sorts of the MAC address assignment process.)
And so far, I have not figured out what triggers it.

So far, I have seen (as seen in 'ifconfig' and confirmed as being used on the network by the router)
86:37:73:45:44:E9
62:C0:73:03:5E:AD
FE:7F:41:5A:31:F9

This is weird. None of the three are in legitimate block assignments.

--- Graham

====

Steven Keller

Oct 17, 2017, 12:36:46 PM10/17/17
to BeagleBoard
I have been running my PocketBeagle with the ENC28 for over a week with no apparent issues.  I have it sending/receiving data to a cloud-based MQTT server using node red.  It sends a packet of data every 250ms and measures the time to get the data back.  Average response time is about 30ms.

The device is just sitting on my desk and connecting through my home network to my Comcast cable internet.  I have not tested any recovery from dropped connections, power fails, etc.

Graham

Oct 18, 2017, 9:36:58 AM10/18/17
to BeagleBoard
I have gotten an additional two MAC addresses (total five, now) presented by the ETH-WIZ.
(So, it has appeared on five different IP addresses in my network, and I can't give it a static address, since that is paired with the MAC address.)
It never changes while running, and usually not when rebooting, but will almost always change the MAC address after loading a new image on the PB.
And none of them are 'legal'. (That is, no recognizable OUI identifying the manufacturer.)

There must not be a memory for the MAC address in the ETH-WIZ, and the driver makes one up using a random number generator, upon booting on a new image for the first time.

I am tired of chasing this Ethernet interface all over my network address space.
.
--- Graham

==

Steven Keller

Oct 18, 2017, 5:23:54 PM10/18/17
to BeagleBoard
It appears that the ENC28 MAC address is random as well.  It doesn't show up with any vendor when doing an online MAC lookup.  I wonder if it is possible to populate it with the same one that the USB Ethernet interface uses when attaching to a PC.  I haven't looked but my guess is there is a MAC address burned into the processor.

--steve

Dan Brown

Oct 19, 2017, 8:38:27 AM10/19/17
to BeagleBoard
I have noticed that both of my PocketBeagles have unique MACs that do not move with the SD card when connecting via USB.  (I tried switching the cards between PBs and the MACs stay with the boards.  Could it be something in the onboard flash?

Dan Brown

Oct 19, 2017, 8:41:56 AM10/19/17
to BeagleBoard
I meant in the onboard EEPROM...

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 8:38:27 AM UTC-4, Dan Brown wrote:
I have noticed that both of my PocketBeagles have unique MACs that do not move with the SD card when connecting via USB.  (I tried switching the cards between PBs and the MACs stay with the boards.)  Could it be something in the onboard flash?

Gerald Coley

Oct 19, 2017, 8:43:43 AM10/19/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
MAC comes from the processor itself.

Gerald

Robert Nelson

Oct 19, 2017, 10:41:32 AM10/19/17
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Steven Keller <skelle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that the ENC28 MAC address is random as well. It doesn't show up
> with any vendor when doing an online MAC lookup. I wonder if it is possible
> to populate it with the same one that the USB Ethernet interface uses when
> attaching to a PC. I haven't looked but my guess is there is a MAC address
> burned into the processor.

Correct, neither the ENC28 nor the WIZNET based modules have a
built-in mac address (no eeprom on the module). So it's kinda-random
on every bootup..

Jason Kridner

Oct 19, 2017, 11:06:06 AM10/19/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
So can we configure the MAC on the ENC? The MAC address is fetched using am335x_evm.sh in /opt/scripts. Seems like it could be modified for if an adapter is detected in the kernel.

Aside, u-boot configures the on-board MII because the code was difficult to cut out.

Robert Nelson

Oct 19, 2017, 11:11:52 AM10/19/17
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Jason Kridner <jkri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So can we configure the MAC on the ENC? The MAC address is fetched using
> am335x_evm.sh in /opt/scripts. Seems like it could be modified for if an
> adapter is detected in the kernel.

Yeah, that's my current thinking..

> Aside, u-boot configures the on-board MII because the code was difficult to
> cut out.

Mark Grosen

Oct 19, 2017, 5:47:13 PM10/19/17
to Beagle Board
Used to be you could set mac address via env ethaddr in uboot. Does this still work or via device tree? Seems like the kernel driver would support this: https://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/net/ethernet/microchip/enc28j60.c#L1590

Mark

Steven Keller

Feb 1, 2018, 8:48:46 PM2/1/18
to BeagleBoard
It's been awhile since I have fired up my Pocket Beagle but I am looking at using it for a project that requires ethernet.  Did we ever get to the bottom of the MAC address getting set properly at bootup on either the ENC or the WIZ ethernet chips?

Robert Nelson

Feb 2, 2018, 9:58:40 AM2/2/18
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:48 PM, Steven Keller <skelle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's been awhile since I have fired up my Pocket Beagle but I am looking at
> using it for a project that requires ethernet. Did we ever get to the
> bottom of the MAC address getting set properly at bootup on either the ENC
> or the WIZ ethernet chips?

Correct it's still and issue.

It's something I haven't spent any time on lately, but it shouldn't be
to hard for someone to implement.

Steven Kronk

Sep 10, 2018, 9:39:17 PM9/10/18
to BeagleBoard
Hi Graham, I'm trying to get my ETH-WIZ_CLICK to work as well, and tried everything above but can't seem to get it working.

Did you do anything else like configure the PMODE in order to get it to work?

Robert Nelson

Sep 10, 2018, 9:45:19 PM9/10/18
to Beagle Board, hesh...@gmail.com
On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 8:39 PM Steven Kronk <hesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Graham, I'm trying to get my ETH-WIZ_CLICK to work as well, and tried everything above but can't seem to get it working.
>
> Did you do anything else like configure the PMODE in order to get it to work?

Let's see what you've setup so far:

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh

reynold...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2018, 7:45:09 AM9/18/18
to BeagleBoard
Hi Robert,

Steve Kronk and I are working on the same project. I was able to help him to get the wiz-click to work on SPI0, but I'm still having an issue getting the SPI1 to work.

When I use PB-SPI0-ETH-WIZ-CLICK.dtbo in the uEnv.txt it works fine, but I've tried using PB-SPI1-ETH-WIZ-CLICK.dtbo on every address in the uEnv.txt with no success.

The objective of our project is to utilize two separate Ethernet ports to transfer files with a pocket beagle

While using SPI1, the wiznet powers up and the LEDs light up, but the ethernet port is not set up.

I'm using the most recent kernel and cape overlay. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

here is my version.sh

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh
git:/opt/scripts/:[8807f233c5269052a0c8b87cd75567d21f773aa5]
eeprom:[A335PBGL00A21743GPB42086]
model:[TI_AM335x_PocketBeagle]
dogtag:[BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2018-06-17]
bootloader:[microSD]:[/dev/mmcblk0]:[U-Boot 2018.03-00002-gac9cce7c6a]:[location: dd MBR]
kernel:[4.14.69-ti-r75]
nodejs:[v6.14.3]
uboot_overlay_options:[enable_uboot_overlays=1]
uboot_overlay_options:[uboot_overlay_addr3=/lib/firmware/PB-SPI1-ETH-WIZ-CLICK.dtbo]
uboot_overlay_options:[uboot_overlay_pru=/lib/firmware/AM335X-PRU-RPROC-4-14-TI-00A0.dtbo]
uboot_overlay_options:[enable_uboot_cape_universal=1]
pkg check: to individually upgrade run: [sudo apt install --only-upgrade <pkg>]
pkg:[bb-cape-overlays]:[4.4.20180914.0-0rcnee0~stretch+20180914]
pkg:[bb-wl18xx-firmware]:[1.20180517-0rcnee0~stretch+20180517]
pkg:[kmod]:[23-2rcnee1~stretch+20171005]
pkg:[roboticscape]:[0.4.4-git20180608.0-0rcnee0~stretch+20180609]:[GOT_REPLACED_BY_NEXT]
WARNING:pkg:[librobotcontrol]:[NOT_INSTALLED]
pkg:[firmware-ti-connectivity]:[20170823-1rcnee1~stretch+20180328]
groups:[debian : debian adm kmem dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev users systemd-journal i2c bluetooth netdev cloud9ide gpio pwm eqep admin spi tisdk weston-launch xenomai]
cmdline:[console=ttyO0,115200n8 bone_capemgr.uboot_capemgr_enabled=1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootfstype=ext4 rootwait coherent_pool=1M net.ifnames=0 quiet]
dmesg | grep pinctrl-single
[    1.110072] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: 142 pins at pa f9e10800 size 568
dmesg | grep gpio-of-helper
[    1.118532] gpio-of-helper ocp:cape-universal: ready
END

-Kyle

Robert Nelson

Sep 18, 2018, 2:33:25 PM9/18/18
to Beagle Board, reynold...@gmail.com
Everything looks fine ^...

Are you by chance trying to use "two" Wiznet devices on one PocketBeagle?

Otherwise, i just have one unit and just retested with this setup:

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh
git:/opt/scripts/:[8807f233c5269052a0c8b87cd75567d21f773aa5]
eeprom:[A335PBGL00A21740GPB42206]
model:[TI_AM335x_PocketBeagle]
dogtag:[BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2018-09-16]
bootloader:[microSD]:[/dev/mmcblk0]:[U-Boot
2018.09-00002-g0b54a51eee]:[location: dd MBR]
kernel:[4.14.69-ti-r75]
nodejs:[v6.14.4]
uboot_overlay_options:[enable_uboot_overlays=1]
uboot_overlay_options:[uboot_overlay_addr0=/lib/firmware/PB-SPI0-ETH-WIZ-CLICK.dtbo
]
uboot_overlay_options:[uboot_overlay_pru=/lib/firmware/AM335X-PRU-RPROC-4-14-TI-00A0.dtbo]
uboot_overlay_options:[enable_uboot_cape_universal=1]
pkg check: to individually upgrade run: [sudo apt install --only-upgrade <pkg>]
pkg:[bb-cape-overlays]:[4.4.20180914.0-0rcnee0~stretch+20180914]
pkg:[bb-wl18xx-firmware]:[1.20180517-0rcnee0~stretch+20180517]
pkg:[kmod]:[23-2rcnee1~stretch+20171005]
pkg:[librobotcontrol]:[1.0.2-git20180829.0-0rcnee0~stretch+20180830]
pkg:[firmware-ti-connectivity]:[20170823-1rcnee1~stretch+20180328]
groups:[debian : debian adm kmem dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video
plugdev users systemd-journal i2c bluetooth netdev cloud9ide gpio pwm
eqep admin spi tisdk weston-launch xenomai]
cmdline:[console=ttyO0,115200n8 bone_capemgr.uboot_capemgr_enabled=1
root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ro rootfstype=ext4 rootwait coherent_pool=1M
net.ifnames=0 quiet]
dmesg | grep pinctrl-single
[ 1.084222] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: 142 pins at pa f9e10800 size 568
dmesg | grep gpio-of-helper
[ 1.092500] gpio-of-helper ocp:cape-universal: ready
END

Both:
uboot_overlay_addr0=/lib/firmware/PB-SPI0-ETH-WIZ-CLICK.dtbo
and
uboot_overlay_addr0=/lib/firmware/PB-SPI1-ETH-WIZ-CLICK.dtbo

bring up the interface just fine:

eth0: flags=-28605<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DYNAMIC> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.0.125 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
inet6 fe80::9c00:c6ff:feff:5555 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
ether 9e:00:c6:ff:55:55 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 80 bytes 13133 (12.8 KiB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 61 bytes 10342 (10.0 KiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

debian@beaglebone:~$ ping google.com
PING google.com (216.58.192.142) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ord36s01-in-f142.1e100.net (216.58.192.142): icmp_seq=1
ttl=50 time=46.3 ms
64 bytes from ord36s01-in-f142.1e100.net (216.58.192.142): icmp_seq=2
ttl=50 time=47.5 ms

reynold...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2018, 9:46:44 AM9/19/18
to BeagleBoard
Robert,

Thank you for your response. We are hoping to use two wiznet devices on the pocket beagle.

The use case is difficult to describe, but the project requires that we have two Ethernet ports.

I was able to utilize both SPI buses with the wiznet. I won't have a second wiznet to test using two on one pocket beagle until tomorrow.

When I get my test results I'll be sure to update this form.

-Kyle

Steven Keller

Aug 2, 2019, 7:24:16 PM8/2/19
to BeagleBoard
Sorry to dredge up an 18-month-old topic but I was wondering if any of the new images addressed the MAC address issue with the ENC28J60?  I am revisiting the PocketBeagle for an application that needs wired Ethernet and USB Cellular Modem.  Is there a better approach for ethernet than the ENC28J60?  I need a board-level solution, I am making my own carrier board.

Thanks.

Robert Nelson

Aug 2, 2019, 8:04:09 PM8/2/19
to Beagle Board
On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 6:24 PM Steven Keller <skelle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to dredge up an 18-month-old topic but I was wondering if any of the new images addressed the MAC address issue with the ENC28J60? I am revisiting the PocketBeagle for an application that needs wired Ethernet and USB Cellular Modem. Is there a better approach for ethernet than the ENC28J60? I need a board-level solution, I am making my own carrier board.

Sorry, nothing's crossed my email box on that one..

Steven Keller

Aug 2, 2019, 10:50:12 PM8/2/19
to BeagleBoard
Okay.  Are there any other options for adding Ethernet on a carrier board short of using the Octavo chip directly?

Jason Kridner

Aug 3, 2019, 8:55:13 AM8/3/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 2, 2019, at 10:50 PM, Steven Keller <skelle...@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay.  Are there any other options for adding Ethernet on a carrier board short of using the Octavo chip directly?

USB to Ethernet chips.

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 7:04:09 PM UTC-5, RobertCNelson wrote:
On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 6:24 PM Steven Keller <skelle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to dredge up an 18-month-old topic but I was wondering if any of the new images addressed the MAC address issue with the ENC28J60?  I am revisiting the PocketBeagle for an application that needs wired Ethernet and USB Cellular Modem.  Is there a better approach for ethernet than the ENC28J60?  I need a board-level solution, I am making my own carrier board.

Sorry, nothing's crossed my email box on that one..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

gra...@flex-radio.com

Aug 3, 2019, 9:29:03 AM8/3/19
to BeagleBoard
I have a working design for an Ethernet Cape for a Pocketbeagle.
It is basically the reference design for a Microchip LAN9500A implemented as a four layer PCB cape for the Pocketbeagle.
It talks USB-2 to the PocketBeagle, and 10/100 Ethernet to the outside world.
The driver is already in the Beagle software distributions, so the Beagle grabs it as part of the normal boot process, and it shows up as eth0.
It has the optional EEPROM that can be programmed to permanently hold a MAC address assignment.
I don't plan to do anything with it, so if someone wants to use it, you are welcome to it, but you will need to build and program them yourself.
--- Graham

Jason Kridner

Aug 3, 2019, 10:11:50 PM8/3/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 9:28 AM <gra...@flex-radio.com> wrote:
I have a working design for an Ethernet Cape for a Pocketbeagle.
It is basically the reference design for a Microchip LAN9500A implemented as a four layer PCB cape for the Pocketbeagle.

Do you have a pointer to the design files?

https://beagleboard.org/about - a 501c3 non-profit educating around open hardware computing

gra...@flex-radio.com

Aug 4, 2019, 9:43:23 AM8/4/19
to BeagleBoard

Steven Keller

Aug 5, 2019, 4:21:48 PM8/5/19
to BeagleBoard
Graham,
If you don't mind could you answer a few questions?
You have parts on both sides of the board.  Is this primarily because of the size constraint or to keep traces short as possible?
Is it possible for the driver software to load the MAC address of the Beagle Bone into the LAN9500A?  It does not appear that the preprogrammed MAC address EEPROMs from Microchip work with these USB-to-Ethernet chips.

Graham

Aug 5, 2019, 7:30:13 PM8/5/19
to Beagle Board
Steven:
The primary reason for parts on both sides of the boards is just space constraint.
With an extra half square inch of space, everything could be on one side.
I do like to keep the transient suppressor as close to the RJ-45 connector as possible.
You would still need a four layer board to do the power distribution cleanly.

In this design, the MAC address can not be assigned by the Linux driver.
It takes a Windows app, from the Microchip website, that needs to access the LAN9500A
chip from both sides to program it. That is, it needs to access both the USB-2 connection to the
LAN9500A, and have the Ethernet connection from the LAN9500A on the same
sub-net as the PC running the programming app. Even though the MAC address is
held in an EEPROM, I don't think there would be any way for the user to change it
without reproducing the programming connections.

I am not aware that Microchip sells preprogrammed EEPROMS with the MAC addresses,
normally you get blank EEPROMS and you supply and program the MAC address.
Although for extra money, you can get either Microchip or some of the distributors to program
memory parts.

I have heard that Microchip will sell a small number of MAC addresses as a courtesy,
but I have not done that. The normal process is to buy a block of MAC assignments
from the IEEE which is the global coordinator.  If you buy a large enough block, you get
your own OUI.

--- Graham

==

Steven Keller

Aug 5, 2019, 8:57:35 PM8/5/19
to BeagleBoard

Graham,
Thanks so much!  That should be enough to get me started.  I wanted to avoid parts on the bottom of the board as it makes assembly more difficult.  Board size isn't too much of a problem.  The extra EEPROM programming step is a bit of pain but not impossible.

Thanks again!

evilwulfie

Aug 5, 2019, 9:48:12 PM8/5/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
assemble on 2 sides is no issue
populate one side, reflow solder, populate the other side, reflow solder
the surface tension will keep the parts on the other side IF the solder even melts

Graham

Aug 5, 2019, 10:23:51 PM8/5/19
to Beagle Board
The programming of the MAC address in the EEPROM is not an issue, once you are set up for it.
There are some other Ethernet connection options that you can turn on/off at the same time.
But the program remembers what you want, and even auto-increments the MAC address for you if you are programming in sequence within a block assignment.
The program also does a functional exercise of all kinds of Ethernet options, anything you have enabled, so it also constitutes a reasonable final test for Ethernet.
Only takes 20 seconds or so.
I think you will need to pin out the USB-2 (port 1) lines, so that you can get at them with a USB cable from the programming PC.
If the PocketBeagle plugs into your carrier board, you could build a dummy USB connection board that temporarily replaced the PocketBeagle for Ethernet programming.
--- Graham

==

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/72d488f5-2ac8-4b27-d111-ec66ad22dab6%40gmail.com.

Adrian Godwin

Aug 6, 2019, 8:50:13 AM8/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Here is a link to Microchip's preprogrammed MAC address eeproms

Adrian Godwin

Aug 6, 2019, 8:50:38 AM8/6/19
to beagl...@googlegroups.com