/sys/class/hwmon not populated on Jessie

Maurice H.

Dec 19, 2015, 3:44:09 AM12/19/15
to BeagleBoard
I tried this image: https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2015-12-13/lxqt-4gb/bone-debian-8.2-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2015-12-13-4gb.img.xz

As I understand it this is the most recent jessie build.
Unfortunately on this image /sys/class/hwmon is not populated.

It *is* populated on the wheezy builds.

Do I need to install a package or kernel-module that solves this problem?
Or is there a fix in the pipeline?

Robert Nelson

Dec 19, 2015, 12:36:07 PM12/19/15
to Beagle Board, maus...@gmail.com
TI deemed the internal temp sensor too "inaccurate" to push mainline..

Feel free to downgrae to 3.8.x if you need it:

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --bone-channel --stable

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Maurice H.

Dec 19, 2015, 1:39:50 PM12/19/15
to BeagleBoard, maus...@gmail.com

I did. Thanks.

Any chance this could be implemented by a third-party? Or is the TI-code a proprietary blob?

Robert Nelson

Dec 19, 2015, 2:22:43 PM12/19/15
to Beagle Board, Maurice H.
On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Maurice H. <maus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did. Thanks.
>
> Any chance this could be implemented by a third-party? Or is the TI-code a
> proprietary blob?

Yeah, it's easy to fix:

sudo ln -s /dev/urandom /sys/class/hwmon/temp_sensor

okay so it's not "that" bad.. But /dev/urandom is more 'consistent'...

But bad enough, TI hardware engineers told TI kernel developers to not
bother pushing it upstream.

This has been discussed previously on this list..

Maurice H.

Dec 19, 2015, 2:34:22 PM12/19/15
to BeagleBoard, maus...@gmail.com
I know this has been discussed and I understand TI's POV. I apologize if I seemed pushy or something. That is not my intention. It's just that I currently see data coming from my BBB that seems reasonable, although slightly offset. There seems to be a nice correlation with changes in room-temperature too.
Anyway, it was just me wondering. Never mind. I'll retire my code.

Thanks for the answer. Really appreciating your effort.

William Hermans

Dec 19, 2015, 2:49:31 PM12/19/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it's easy to fix:

sudo ln -s /dev/urandom /sys/class/hwmon/temp_sensor
. . .

LMAO !

Robert Nelson

Dec 19, 2015, 4:56:21 PM12/19/15
to Beagle Board, Maurice H.
On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Maurice H. <maus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know this has been discussed and I understand TI's POV. I apologize if I
> seemed pushy or something. That is not my intention. It's just that I
> currently see data coming from my BBB that seems reasonable, although
> slightly offset. There seems to be a nice correlation with changes in
> room-temperature too.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.linaro.devel/16501

William Hermans

Dec 19, 2015, 7:20:32 PM12/19/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
One can not help but wonder. Why have a "thing" at all, if it doesn't work properly . . . and this isn't the first "thing" on this SoC which doesn't work properly . . .