Does the microSD have an MLO and u-boot?

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Oct 11, 2017, 4:04:03 AM10/11/17
to BeagleBoard
I understand that in the default boot priority, which is the eMMC followed by the microSD, the MLO and u-boot resides in the eMMC.In the case where the eMMC does not contain a valid boot image, the microSD gets booted.

Question: does a bootable microSD contain a copy of the MLO and uboot?

--Luther

Luther Goh Lu Feng

Oct 12, 2017, 10:00:40 PM10/12/17
to BeagleBoard

I am assuming the answer is yes based on what was discussed in this thread[1].

Next question. If I flash the eMMC using the microSD card debian flasher script, and then dd out 1MB from the eMMC and microSD, do I expect both to have the same shasum? I expect yes, since they came from the same debian image, but unless I made a mistake or there are some false assumptions on my part, I seemed to be getting different checksums

Robert Nelson

Oct 12, 2017, 10:14:13 PM10/12/17
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:00 PM, 'Luther Goh Lu Feng' via BeagleBoard
<beagl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I am assuming the answer is yes based on what was discussed in this
> thread[1].
>
> Next question. If I flash the eMMC using the microSD card debian flasher
> script, and then dd out 1MB from the eMMC and microSD, do I expect both to
> have the same shasum? I expect yes, since they came from the same debian
> image, but unless I made a mistake or there are some false assumptions on my
> part, I seemed to be getting different checksums

No... different drive geometries..

> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/beagleboard/mlo$20microsd|sort:relevance/beagleboard/8fe5054qZss/xVX8hSPa7OoJ
> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 4:03:47 PM GMT+8, Luther Goh Lu Feng
> <elf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> I understand that in the default boot priority, which is the eMMC followed
> by the microSD, the MLO and u-boot resides in the eMMC.In the case where the
> eMMC does not contain a valid boot image, the microSD gets booted.
>
> Question: does a bootable microSD contain a copy of the MLO and uboot?

Yes..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson