Newcomer problem: No Ubuntu boot on BeagleBone

waltert

May 4, 2012, 12:52:21 PM5/4/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Because Ubuntu is running on my host computer, I want to test it on BeagleBone.
But as newcomer, I did not get Ubuntu booted.

I have performed the following steps:
1. Download Ubuntu from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/OMAP
   Version: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/release/ubuntu-12.04-preinstalled-desktop-armhf+omap.img.gz
2. Unzip with 7zip on Windows
3. Store image (raw-format? no img) on card with Win32DiskImager
4. On BeagleBone nothing happens, no console , no ping.

Remark: I tried the same with different Ubuntu releases and store them on card under linux with zcat ...
As I read, that MLO and U-Boot from the Angstrom is needed, I stored these on the Ubuntu boot partition.
Now U-Boot starts, but not Ubuntu.

If you got it up, please let me know your procedure.

Many thanks in advance
Walter

Robert Nelson

May 4, 2012, 12:57:06 PM5/4/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walter,

The BeagleBone (kernel-wise) is currently not supported with Ubuntu's
Official images (hosted on ubuntu.com)

Take a look at:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu

For community maintained images (community kernel + ubuntu userspace)..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

waltert

May 5, 2012, 6:47:30 AM5/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your quick response. I have seen, you did a splendid work on making Ubuntu available on BB.

I will try to follow your advice in your specified link. But currently my skills doing a kernel build are rather underdeveloped.
My hope is, that somebody provides a ready-to-go-image of Ubuntu for BB.

Again many thanks and best regards

Walter

Maxim Podbereznyy

May 5, 2012, 7:51:54 AM5/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
running scripts is really difficult

2012/5/5 waltert <w.tr...@gmx.de>:
> -- To join: http://beagleboard.org/discuss
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
> beagleboard...@googlegroups.com
> Frequently asked questions: http://beagleboard.org/faq

Robert Nelson

May 5, 2012, 10:02:45 AM5/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 5:47 AM, waltert <w.tr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Many thanks for your quick response. I have seen, you did a splendid work on
> making Ubuntu available on BB.
>
> I will try to follow your advice in your specified link. But currently my
> skills doing a kernel build are rather underdeveloped.
> My hope is, that somebody provides a ready-to-go-image of Ubuntu for BB.

I'm sorry, can you explain/expand on why you think you need to build
something.. At: http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Demo_Image there's
two (Oneric and Precise images) with a quick easy to run script that
will build you a ready to go image of ubuntu for the beagle..
Anything else that requires more then that (such as building
something), is walking you thru an exact step by step guide on how to
build an image yourself..

waltert

May 5, 2012, 10:11:11 AM5/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi lisarden,

I will let you know, how easy it is in your linux script world.

First trial: Preconfigured demo image:
I followed Robert´s advice, have to download a lot of commands, tons of objects, cross compiler, etc.
Finally I got the kernel generation run, but endet with 1 Error. Maybe wrong eabi, parameter ???

Next step:Netinstall method, seems easier to me
Put a fresh SD card in, clone the git and start ./setup_sdcard.sh ...
Huch, unknown command and no setsd_card.sh on my computer. Why it is not in folder netinstall?
Research in Google, found routine on Robert´s web.
Could not startet it via ./ so I startet it with bash setup_sdcard.sh
And got error: no armel-rootfs-* ...

And this is the point to give up for today.

You see this is a snapshoot from the easy script life of a linux newcomer.

Have fun with your scrips

Walter

Robert Nelson

May 5, 2012, 11:56:44 AM5/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM, waltert <w.tr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi lisarden,
>
> I will let you know, how easy it is in your linux script world.

Hi Walter, thanks for you feedback..

I'm sorry your having so much trouble, as the author of that wiki I'm
kinda stuck between rock and a hardplace.. If i make the directions
too simple, i get flamed for not having every step, and then if it's
too complex this happens.. So I'll never win.. So if your interested
in making the wiki better for new users, can you please reply with
these questions, remember i'm just a member of the community so
without feedback NOTHING changes...

> First trial: Preconfigured demo image:
> I followed Robert´s advice, have to download a lot of commands, tons of
> objects, cross compiler, etc.
> Finally I got the kernel generation run, but endet with 1 Error. Maybe wrong
> eabi, parameter ???

Why are you rebuilding anything with the preconfigured demo?

Under: http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Demo_Image

i have written: "If you'd like to help make these images better:
Kernel:" then i link to the source to rebuild the kernel.. HOW do you
want to me reword that so that you don't rebuild the kernel...

Next paragraph: http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Precise_12.04_armhf

I give a changelog, skip over..

then Download via:
wget http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/precise/ubuntu-12.04-r1-minimal-armhf.tar.xz

(some error checking so that you have the correct file, moving on..)

Extract, change into the dir, then run the script.. what did you do here?

> Next step:Netinstall method, seems easier to me
> Put a fresh SD card in, clone the git and start ./setup_sdcard.sh ...
> Huch, unknown command and no setsd_card.sh on my computer. Why it is not in
> folder netinstall?

netinstall: http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Ubuntu_12.04_.28Precise.29

Sorry that's my mistake the command is mk_mmc.sh, that's been like
that for over a year and NO ONE noticed.. (Justed updated the wiki..)

> Research in Google, found routine on Robert´s web.
> Could not startet it via ./ so I startet it with bash setup_sdcard.sh
> And got error: no armel-rootfs-* ...
>
> And this is the point to give up for today.
>
> You see this is a snapshoot from the easy script life of a linux newcomer.
>
> Have fun with your scrips

Thanks for the feedback...

waltert

May 5, 2012, 11:59:31 AM5/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

After I have restarted my work and went through your script smoothly step by step: It works!!!

Again many thanks for yor kind support.

Best regards
Walter

Robert Nelson

May 5, 2012, 12:02:32 PM5/5/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM, waltert <w.tr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> After I have restarted my work and went through your script smoothly step by
> step: It works!!!
>
> Again many thanks for yor kind support.

Hi Walter,

My goal, is not to have new users struggle like you did that first
day.. I'd really like your comments on how to reword sections of the
wiki to make new users lives easier... (I can never go back to being a
new users, so what seems obvious to me it not necessary obvious to new
users..)

Robin Cutshaw

May 6, 2012, 10:42:05 PM5/6/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I just tried installing Ubuntu for the beaglebone from your scripts (both 12 and 11.10, both quick and netinstall).  The kernels lock up (no heartbeat) after:

Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
[    4.320068] init: ureadahead main process (183) terminated with status 5
[    5.957427]
[    5.957427] CPSW phy found : id is : 0x7c0f1
[    5.964172] PHY 0:01 not found

I took the SD card over to another computer after the boot attempt and looked at the kernel log.  It showed:

May  6 20:45:22 omap kernel: [    6.410095]
May  6 20:45:22 omap kernel: [    6.410095] CPSW phy found : id is : 0x7c0f1
May  6 20:45:22 omap kernel: [    6.416900] PHY 0:01 not found
May  6 20:45:22 omap kernel: [    6.421936] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
May  6 20:45:23 omap kernel: [    8.106842] init: udev-fallback-graphics main process (423) terminated with status 1
May  6 20:45:25 omap kernel: [    9.406707] PHY: 0:00 - Link is Up - 100/Full
May  6 20:45:25 omap kernel: [    9.406890] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

Robert Nelson

May 7, 2012, 12:01:25 AM5/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robin, which Ax revision is this board?

Robin Cutshaw

May 7, 2012, 9:16:35 AM5/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert.  It is a new A5 board.

Robert Nelson

May 7, 2012, 10:47:48 AM5/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Robin Cutshaw <robin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert.  It is a new A5 board.

The oneiric, r8 image still works fine here on my A5.. Do you have a
network cable connected to the ethernet port?

http://paste.debian.net/167729/

Robin Cutshaw

May 7, 2012, 11:21:38 AM5/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have a network cable plugged in.  The board boots the Angstrom image and works fine with the network (the Angstrom image - 1 since the current release does not work).  I've include the boot messages from 11 and 12.

The board locks up (no heartbeat) about 5 seconds after the last message is displayed:

This boot of 12 stalls at the same place but does not lock up at that point.  There is probably 30-60 seconds before it continues to the login prompt.  Unfortunately, as soon as apache comes up, the board locks up (no heartbeat).

waltert

May 7, 2012, 12:50:20 PM5/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Your wiki page http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu is very good and clear.
But one has to read it with some brain. Following my comments:

My first trap has been the hint to the Canonical/Ubuntu Images (Method 1).
A hint, that these releases are not made for BB could be useful.

Secondly, as you told me, that these images are kernelwise not useable,
I switched wrongly to kernel generation, not reading your page up to the part
with the preconfigured image.

In the future, I will read much more careful, but I learned a lot from these
expiriences.

Again many thanks for your splendid support and best regards

Walter

Robert Nelson

May 7, 2012, 1:00:47 PM5/7/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM, waltert <w.tr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Your wiki page http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu is very good and clear.
> But one has to read it with some brain. Following my comments:
>
> My first trap has been the hint to the Canonical/Ubuntu Images (Method 1).
> A hint, that these releases are not made for BB could be useful.

I just tweaked that wiki section, specifically calling out only the
BeagleBoard xM & PandaBoard, as that's all they officially support
with the current 12.04 images..

> Secondly, as you told me, that these images are kernelwise not useable,
> I switched wrongly to kernel generation, not reading your page up to the
> part
> with the preconfigured image.
>
> In the future, I will read much more careful, but I learned a lot from these
> expiriences.
>
> Again many thanks for your splendid support and best regards

Robin Cutshaw

May 8, 2012, 9:39:19 AM5/8/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I brought the board up in single user without issue.  It locks up hard when changing to runlevel 2.  Upstart makes it a little more difficult to troubleshoot but I'll try to bring up each service manually and see which breaks it.

Teknoman117

Dec 13, 2012, 9:15:06 PM12/13/12
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Anyone end up figuring this out?  I'm have the same issue with the quantal image, and all the other ones.  As a fun fact, whenever I try to install a kernel built with Robert's build scripts into Angstrom, it won't boot either.

- Nathaniel

Michael Darling

Mar 9, 2013, 2:03:29 PM3/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Has there been any resolution to this?

I am trying to get an Ubuntu image for BeagleBone.  I'm running Ubuntu on my MacbookPro.  The setup_sdcard.sh script runs without problems, but when I try booting on the BeagleBone all of the messages stop after: Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.

I was able to get a working prebuilt demo image a week or two ago using the same process specified in http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu , but can not get a working image now.  I even tried a fresh install of Ubuntu on my laptop with no improvements.

Thanks,
-Mike

Robert Nelson

Mar 9, 2013, 2:10:08 PM3/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Your powering it via the 5Volt DC jack right?

Michael Darling

Mar 9, 2013, 3:21:30 PM3/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm just powering it via USB, but that wasn't a problem a week or two ago when I was able to successfully get Ubuntu running.  I tried the precise (12.04) image as well, but same result -- the boot process hangs in the same place.

Robert Nelson

Mar 9, 2013, 3:31:52 PM3/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Michael Darling <fndrpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> I'm just powering it via USB, but that wasn't a problem a week or two ago
> when I was able to successfully get Ubuntu running. I tried the precise
> (12.04) image as well, but same result -- the boot process hangs in the same
> place.

Are you sure? Ubuntu hits the mmc card pretty hard on bootup...
Please retry with a 5V DC adapter..

Michael Darling

Mar 9, 2013, 5:04:18 PM3/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I will give it a try. I'm away from my apartment this weekend though so the only power adapter I have on hand is 5.1V 2A. Will that be okay or will it overload the board?

NeonJohn

Mar 9, 2013, 5:12:50 PM3/9/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
A 5.2 volt adapter did NOT work for me so I'd not be surprised if 5.1 is
too much too. You can try it - the voltage isn't too high to cause
damage. Mine simply would not boot or even attempt to boot.

I finally dug out a 9 volt wart and put an LM7805 in the line to give me
5.0 volts at the plug.

John
--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN

Michael Darling

Mar 12, 2013, 5:19:12 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I was able to power the board with 5.0V through the barrel jack.  No luck -- identical results.

(I actually didn't have a proper wall adapter, so I powered the board with a 3-cell, 11.1V, 2200mAh battery, regulated by a programmable 10A-peak BEC.  The board ran fine powered this way using the Angstrom image.)

Any other ideas?

Robert Nelson

Mar 12, 2013, 5:20:53 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Michael Darling <fndrpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to power the board with 5.0V through the barrel jack. No luck --
> identical results.
>
> (I actually didn't have a proper wall adapter, so I powered the board with a
> 3-cell, 11.1V, 2200mAh battery, regulated by a programmable 10A-peak BEC.
> The board ran fine powered this way using the Angstrom image.)
>
> Any other ideas?

Nope, that usually fixes the problem..

So.. Please pastebin.com your FULL serial boot log and I'll take a look at it..

Michael Darling

Mar 12, 2013, 5:31:58 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Done.  The log is here:  http://pastebin.com/BUrqmvhR

Thanks!

Robert Nelson

Mar 12, 2013, 5:47:46 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Michael Darling <fndrpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Done. The log is here: http://pastebin.com/BUrqmvhR

[ 1.592285] Maximum current provided by the USB port is 500mA which
is not sufficient
[ 1.592315] when operating @OPP120 and OPPTURBO. The current
requirement for some
[ 1.592315] use-cases using OPP100 might also exceed the maximum
current that the
[ 1.592315] USB port can provide. Unless you are fully confident
that the current
[ 1.592346] requirements for OPP100 use-case don't exceed the USB
limits, switching
[ 1.592346] to AC power is recommended.

So... Your "powering" via the 5Volt DC jack? Doesn't look like it..

Michael Darling

Mar 12, 2013, 5:51:55 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  I unplugged the USB port to confirm that the board did not shut down (LEDs remained lit).  But to get the serial log, I had to plug the USB back in, "screen-in" and reboot by pressing the reset button.  Is there a better way to do this?

Robert Nelson

Mar 12, 2013, 5:59:18 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Michael Darling <fndrpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. I unplugged the USB port to confirm that the board did not shut down
> (LEDs remained lit). But to get the serial log, I had to plug the USB back
> in, "screen-in" and reboot by pressing the reset button. Is there a better
> way to do this?

I usually just plug the 5volt barrel in, connect the usb, fire up
gtkterm, then hit the reset button, so the boot starts over..

btw, who doesn't have a spare ac/dc adapter, i have boxes full..

Essentially, powering over usb will not work with that image.. that's
the main point..

Michael Darling

Mar 12, 2013, 6:02:00 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I tried again.  I did a ctl-F but couldn't find the USB power line you referenced in this log, so maybe I didn't have something plugged in all the way before.  Same result -- boot hangs in the same place.

New log is here:  http://pastebin.com/cTxAp8pe

Robert Nelson

Mar 12, 2013, 6:12:59 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Michael Darling <fndrpl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried again. I did a ctl-F but couldn't find the USB power line you
> referenced in this log, so maybe I didn't have something plugged in all the
> way before. Same result -- boot hangs in the same place.
>
> New log is here: http://pastebin.com/cTxAp8pe

Yeah that looks like it's powered via the dc jack..

This is the problem:
[ 240.641448] INFO: task init:1 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[ 240.647735] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs"
disables this message.
[ 240.655944] init D c04e15ec 0 1 0 0x00000001
[ 240.662597] Backtrace:
[ 240.665222] [<c04e1200>] (__schedule+0x0/0x43c) from [<c04e1758>]
(schedule+0x78/0x7c)

do you have another microSD card? I could never re-produce that
reliably with my A2,A3,A4 & A6 boards... Basicly the init script is
blocked, waiting for something..

Michael Darling

Mar 12, 2013, 6:28:03 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes I do.  I have two cards:  a 4GB card with the Angstrom image, and a 16GB card with your Ubuntu image.  I tried putting the Ubuntu image on the 4GB card earlier in the week, but I was only powering via USB back then.

Give me some time to backup my Angstrom image, create the Ubuntu image on the 4GB card, and try again with the board powered via the barrel jack.  I will let you know the outcome once I have that done.

Also, I'm sorry that I do not have an AC/DC adapter.  I have many on hand, but none that will supply >=2A at 5V.  The lab I am working from on my campus is geared for building R/C aircraft, so I have a lot more battery powering options at my fingertips.  If you still think power is the issue, I can run out and purchase a suitable adapter -- but I am pretty confident that my setup is delivering regulated 5V DC power.

Thanks.

Michael Darling

Mar 12, 2013, 8:42:54 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I solved my own problem.  I needed to build the image with  --uboot bone_dtb = v3.8-rc7-bone4  instead of -uboot bone .  The board booted under USB power alone with no issues.

Thanks for your help.  I apologize that I didn't think to try this earlier.  I assumed that the -uboot bone  build would be more reliable than the kernel version still in testing.

Robert Nelson

Mar 12, 2013, 8:50:41 PM3/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
There are a few problems with that v3.8.x based kernel.. Hence why i
made both options available, but it is the future..