Error while linking to energy plus

Niraj Kunwar

Oct 11, 2017, 12:39:32 PM10/11/17
to bcvtb
Hi,
I am getting this error Last severe error=ExternalInterface: Simulation model has no variable "N1" with key "EMS"  while trying to use EMS variable N1 as output from the simulator. While this and another EMS variable  "C_T" was not used the simulation was running properly. I have attached my Energyplus file and Ptolemy II xml file . Could you help me with this issue?

BCVTB_EnergyPlus.zip

Thierry Nouidui

Oct 11, 2017, 12:47:28 PM10/11/17
to bcvtb
Hi Niraj,

Some changes were introduced in EnergyPlus 8.7 in the way erl variables were treated by E+.
These changes appear to not be backwards compatible with the BCVTB.
We are looking at the root of the problem and suggest to use (as a temporary fix) an older version of E+ .

Thanks!

Thierry

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Niraj Kunwar <niraj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am getting this error Last severe error=ExternalInterface: Simulation model has no variable "N1" with key "EMS"  while trying to use EMS variable N1 as output from the simulator. While this and another EMS variable  "C_T" was not used the simulation was running properly. I have attached my Energyplus file and Ptolemy II xml file . Could you help me with this issue?

--------------------------------------
Thierry Stephane Nouidui, PhD

Simulation Research Group
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road, MS 90R3147
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 495-2337 voice
email: TSNo...@lbl.gov
http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov

Niraj Kunwar

Oct 11, 2017, 12:50:44 PM10/11/17
to bcvtb

Thierry,

Thank you for the quick response. Do you have any suggestion on which version of E+ should be used? I previously used V8.5  in which the issue was similar.

Best Regards,
Niraj

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 11:47:28 AM UTC-5, Thierry Nouidui wrote:
Hi Niraj,

Some changes were introduced in EnergyPlus 8.7 in the way erl variables were treated by E+.
These changes appear to not be backwards compatible with the BCVTB.
We are looking at the root of the problem and suggest to use (as a temporary fix) an older version of E+ .

Thanks!

Thierry
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Niraj Kunwar <niraj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am getting this error Last severe error=ExternalInterface: Simulation model has no variable "N1" with key "EMS"  while trying to use EMS variable N1 as output from the simulator. While this and another EMS variable  "C_T" was not used the simulation was running properly. I have attached my Energyplus file and Ptolemy II xml file . Could you help me with this issue?

Thierry Nouidui

Oct 11, 2017, 12:56:24 PM10/11/17
to bcvtb
EnergyPlus 8.5 was tested with the latest version of the BCVTB. This version should be fine. EnergyPlus 8.6 should I believe work fine too.

Thanks!

Thierry

Niraj Kunwar

Oct 11, 2017, 1:19:59 PM10/11/17
to bcvtb
Thierry,

I have attached BCVTB with 8.5 version here, could you tell me how the 'sample delay' is effecting the simulation? I think it's not working because I am not able to properly set it up. I went through the Pletomy II guide but couldn't understand me properly.

Best Regards,
Niraj Kunwar
BCVTB_8.5.zip

Thierry Nouidui

Oct 11, 2017, 1:49:03 PM10/11/17
to bcvtb
I have tried to understand you model but couldn't.
  •  I couldn't see any actor providing inputs to the Simulator actor. However, the input of the Simulator actor was connected to a MonitorValue actor - why? I deleted this connection and added a constant actor as input.
  • I saw a bunch of SampleDelay but didn't know why you wanted to have them there. I deleted them.
  • I saw that you manually added two outputs to the Simulator actor. That is not needed. The Simulator actor has one single output which is a vector. The ordering of the elements of the vector is determined by the way you set them up in variables.cfg file. To retrieve the elements of the vector, you have to use an actor called VectorDisassembler. You can then get the first element of the vector by
    • drawing a line from the VectorDisassembler output to your source,
    • double clicking on the line,
    • and specifying the length as 1 (so it knows that you just want to extract one single element).
I adapted your model and it is running now.

Thanks!

Thierry

system2.xml

Niraj Kunwar

Oct 11, 2017, 1:56:44 PM10/11/17
to bcvtb
Thierry,

Many thanks. At this point I was just trying to make an connection between the input and output and thought that sample delay was required in the loop and was not aware that sample delay was not necessary where I had placed them. I will work with my model continuing with the file that you have send.

Best Regards,
Niraj Kunwar