Virtual packages

Shakeel Mahate

Nov 1, 2017, 10:12:15 AM11/1/17
to bazel-discuss
I am trying to understand some of the "virtual packages" referred to in BUILD files such as //conditions //build //tools etc

Is there a list of all of these "virtual packages", searching for this term on https://docs.bazel.build/search.html?cx=012346921571893344015%3Axv_nfgpzbu4&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=virtual+package did not yield any significant results.

Damien Martin-Guillerez

Nov 1, 2017, 11:09:32 AM11/1/17
to Shakeel Mahate, bazel-discuss
There is no such list I believe.
//tools is not a virtual package. The list I can remember is
   //tools/defaults <-- some default late bound labels (e.g. //tools/defaults:jdk)
   //external <-- external bindings
   //conditions: default conditions

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 3:12 PM Shakeel Mahate <shakeel...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to understand some of the "virtual packages" referred to in BUILD files such as //conditions //build //tools etc

Is there a list of all of these "virtual packages", searching for this term on https://docs.bazel.build/search.html?cx=012346921571893344015%3Axv_nfgpzbu4&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=virtual+package did not yield any significant results.

Shakeel Mahate

Nov 1, 2017, 2:53:37 PM11/1/17
to bazel-discuss
So what is a name for these special things, "tools externals condition". They simply show up in the user manual and in examples in the docs. The docs which describes //external refers to it as a virtual package.

What happens if you have a folder in your WORKSPACE that matches that name?

Is there a reason why they are prefixed with // and not to some other prefix, such as @ or # or something else?