Time to plan about next meetup

Leena S N

May 4, 2013, 11:16:16 PM5/4/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Wondering whether its time to think about the next meetup which would be on 18th May.
  • Anyone @C42 can they confirm that its going to be hosted there?
  • I don't think we've decided the talks for the upcoming meetup. Anyone interested to give a talk this time?
  • Any plans for OpenHack this time? Seems everyone liked it.
Thanks,

--
Leena S N
http://www.multunus.com/

Prakash Murthy

May 4, 2013, 11:36:15 PM5/4/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Am planning to be in Bangalore that weekend for http://www.procamrunning.in/tcsworld10k/
I could have a talk ready...

~Prakash

deepak kannan

May 6, 2013, 4:22:39 AM5/6/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
hi,

i can give a talk on DRb (Distributed Ruby)

Swanand Pagnis

May 6, 2013, 7:47:53 AM5/6/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, lee...@gmail.com
The irony is, folks from Mysore are in by 10.30 -10.45, others start pouring in by 11. :-)

@Deepak: +1, I've been dabbling a little bit in DRb too.

I can give a brief talk on sending and handling streaming data over http, some common libraries that do it and what patterns can we learn from them.

On 6 May 2013 14:14, Aninda Kundu <ani...@c42.in> wrote:
Yes, I'll be there, we can host it at C42 no worries. How many people do we expect to show up usually (shamefully I must admit I have never been to one) ? What time to people usually come in ?

Aninda.

Prakash Murthy

May 6, 2013, 7:56:06 AM5/6/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, lee...@gmail.com
It is quite likely the selected talks for RubyConfIndia 2013 would be announced by then.

Those who had their talks selected could do a dry run of their talk at this upcoming meetup, and get feedback from BRUG-ers to improve on the talk.

~Prakash

Dheeraj Kumar

May 6, 2013, 7:56:37 AM5/6/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, lee...@gmail.com
I can give a talk on how to write internal DSLs with Ruby. I can start with yield and move on to instance eval, instance exec and method_missing stuff. I recently wrote one for Bang The Table, and would like to share whatever I learnt :)

Anup Biswal

May 6, 2013, 8:36:00 AM5/6/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, lee...@gmail.com
I can share my experience with RubyMotion. It has been 3 weeks since we have been using it. It brings in a different perspective on iOS development with Ruby, command line tools like rake instead of Objective-C, Xcode and Interface Builder.

This will be an Introductory talk on RubyMotion with the intention of sharing whatever we have learnt so far.
Anup Biswal
Mobile: +91 9483897235
Multunus Software Private Limited
www.multunus.com

Hemant Kumar

May 6, 2013, 9:01:05 AM5/6/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

So can we confirm at least 4 talks?

1. DRb by deepak.
2. Streaming over http -  Swanand
3. Building internal DSL using Ruby - Dheeraj
4. Introduction to Rubymotion - Anup

We will see if we can accommodate all the talks. In past we always had one or two last minute talk cancellations ;)

But if we can't, we will push some of the talks for next month meeting perhaps.  Here is RSVP ,

Emil S

May 6, 2013, 9:45:38 AM5/6/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Interesting topics. Looking forward to the meetup .

Krishnaprasad Varma

May 7, 2013, 2:51:15 AM5/7/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, lee...@gmail.com
Interesting topics.
However I will miss this months meetup.
I hope the presentations will be shared.

All the best, Guys.
Enjoy

Anup Biswal

May 16, 2013, 11:25:00 PM5/16/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend tomorrow's meetup [hence will not be able to give the talk on "Introduction to RubyMotion"] due to some last minute plan changes in the personal front.

I hope I will be able to give the talk in the next meetup.

Best of Luck of the rest of the talks though.

Thanks

Swanand Pagnis

May 17, 2013, 2:53:39 AM5/17/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, Calvin Conaway
Calvin mentioned that he could give a talk on a custom logger he built and is serving him well ever since.

@Calvin: Is it possible for you to give a talk?

Calvin Conaway

May 17, 2013, 2:55:30 AM5/17/13
to Swanand Pagnis, bangal...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I can give a talk.

Either about my custom-built MongoDB-based logging system, or about "how I work" … I'm a pretty productive guy.

-C

deepak kannan

May 17, 2013, 2:59:13 AM5/17/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, Swanand Pagnis
+1 i am interested in the "how i work" talk

Leena S N

May 17, 2013, 3:06:25 AM5/17/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, Swanand Pagnis
+1 for the "how I work" talk. That would be really useful. I am not sure whether I will be able to make it this time :(.

Swanand Pagnis

May 17, 2013, 3:15:04 AM5/17/13
to Leena S N, bangal...@googlegroups.com
Well, no question about it, "how I work" trumps most other talks.

Calvin Conaway

May 17, 2013, 3:17:56 AM5/17/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, Leena S N

Jesly Varghese

May 17, 2013, 3:14:47 AM5/17/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
+1 on how i work :)

Thomas Elam

May 17, 2013, 4:12:49 AM5/17/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to see both!

Tom

deepak

May 21, 2013, 4:38:08 PM5/21/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com, lee...@gmail.com
hi,

Calvin started the day by giving his talk on "how i work"
it was a bit philosophical with some good takeaways

@Calvin can you provide a link to the actual slides ?

am listing some main and insightful points - according to me.
not an exact summary. it is more like what has stuck in my mind after three days

1. do not be afraid to read the source. he has an alias "be" to "bundle open <gem-name>"
eg. if he is cannot figure out something in active_record he will open up AR in textmate and look at the source
i liked that he created short alias and that looking at the source seems more "noble" than asking noob-ish ill-prepared questions

2. do not be afraid, just deploy. if there is a bug in most software - the world will not come to an end. be more careful if it is something like a payment system

3. bugs are the same as features. *mind-blown* They take up time and effort and must be prioritised same as features. not all bugs are important
feel free to ignore some of them. But some bugs are important. He gave an example where he solved a bug which he deemed important in an hour while
travelling in a train, over a crappy internet connection. And the user was wowed by the fast response.

4. get a good nights sleep. also sleep on a problem

Sorry if i got any points wrong

@Dheeraj had a nice talk on creating DSL's
where he did live coding. the ballsy bastard :-)

he started by pointing out some examples of DSL's in ruby and rails
first example was using yield to create a DSL eg. like the old rails router

PS: am writing the examples from memory.
@Dheeraj correct me if wrong and upload your slides and the demo code

eg.
Talk.new do |t|
  t.author 'Dheeraj'
end

here app is an instance of a class which is yielded
resource is a method missing call

he pointed out that many people implement method_missing
but then you should also have a corresponding respond_to_missing?

@Swanad also pointed out that a common pattern would be to create an anonymous module and mix it in
will get respond_to? for free.

Then he moved on to pointing out that passing around the variable `t` is redundant
here he passed around an explicit named block which is instance_evaled
eg. the new rails router api

he also pointed out that instance_eval is used all over the place in rails

eg.
Talk.new do
  author 'Dheeraj'
end

@Calvin pointed out an issue that it breaks self if we use instance_eval
@Calvin - can you explain the issue ?

@Dheeraj said that in ruby blocks are not first class citizens
i did not completely agreed. was trying to read-up on it.

which means that blocks are converted to procs - if you have a named block parameter
athough the format for multiple named blocks would become cumbersome
@Swanand pointed out that in older versions of ruby blocks to procs conversion was costly

@Dheeraj can you explain why blocks are not first-class citizens in ruby ?

@Dheeraj some syntax with `Proc.new { }` was unclear. you said you would look it up later. remember what it was ?

c42 ordered the pizza and @Dheeraj (and everyone) got distracted by the pizza :-)
and the talk wound-down here and broke for pizza

me (and others) raided c42 pantry
PS: i think "pantry manager" is a full-time job at c42

enjoyed the talk quite a lot
@swanad and @calvin interacted quiet a bit
@Dheeraj and guys please improve this summary

After having pizza, i wrested with my old nemesis - c42's projector
and then, i had a short talk on DRb - distributed ruby.
sorry could not cover Rinda

DRb is the RPC mechanism in ruby - like Corba or RMI

@Neha pointed out that it is Corba not "Cobra" :-P
and it went downhill from there :-)

in DRb lots of magic is happening under the covers
gave an example of a simple client and a server

to show the network calls happening

pointed out that a ACK is sent back - so it is a sync blocking call
will have to make it async yourself if needed:
- use threads
- push in a queue
- etc

pointed out the usage of `DRbUndumped`
that it is used to marshall across ruby classes which are defined on the server
but not on the client. ie, the DRb server returns an instance of a class defined on the server

Also the serialization is happening by marshalling - which is a ruby core binary format
not sure if it will work across ruby versions or implementations

@Prakash had the last presentation on "growing the ruby community in india"

- have more local meetups in more cities
- multiple simultaneous hackathons, open-hack days in bangalore iself.
- how to introduce ruby to students
- how to bring more women into the ruby community

it was lively debate and was quite interactive.
lots of points were discussed and i am tired of writing this mail and need to go to sleep
@Prakash do you want to write-up a summary ?

cheers,
deepak

On Friday, 17 May 2013 21:18:49 UTC+5:30, Aninda Kundu wrote:
Hey guys - the office is prepped and ready for the meetup. I'll be there by ten in case anyone from Mysore shows up bright and early. See you tomorrow!

Aninda.

Sharath Chander Punthambekar

May 21, 2013, 9:59:46 PM5/21/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks deepak. Noticed your early morning efforts!!! :)

with best regards
Sharath Punthambekar

"Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality."
-Warren G. Bennis

Krishnaprasad Varma

May 21, 2013, 11:09:18 PM5/21/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Deepak.
Appreciate your effort to write an informal summary of the last meetup.

Regards

Krishnaprasad Varma

Leena S N

May 22, 2013, 2:08:58 AM5/22/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Deepak for putting up the summary. Its really useful.

Swanand Pagnis

May 22, 2013, 2:34:11 AM5/22/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Great summary as usual, Deepak! You have made others lazy. I was actually waiting for you to post the summary. :-)

I added a few points you missed, all inline.

On 22 May 2013 02:08, deepak <kannan...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi,

Calvin started the day by giving his talk on "how i work"
it was a bit philosophical with some good takeaways

@Calvin can you provide a link to the actual slides ?

am listing some main and insightful points - according to me.
not an exact summary. it is more like what has stuck in my mind after three days

Invest time and efforts in tools. Calvin explained how he shifted to Dvorak layout and took the hit for two weeks of unproductiveness, but became much more efficient with the keyboard later on because of the efforts during those two weeks. He also explained a similar experience about git, where he dived into "Git from Bottom Up"

Relevant comics (pinch of salt, et al): How-to Geek, XKCD
You also get super for free, so your subclasses are free to override methods (not particular to DSLs, but in general inheritance)

Calvin Conaway

May 22, 2013, 2:59:47 AM5/22/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com

@Calvin can you provide a link to the actual slides ?

Calvin Conaway

May 24, 2013, 12:41:41 PM5/24/13
to bangal...@googlegroups.com
Also, if you guys are interested in this kind of thing, I'm putting out a video sequence these days on my absolute best strategies for breaking through to the next level in anything you do.

You can watch the first video here:

If you enter your name & email, you'll get the second one right away, and the next 5 when they're released.

Doesn't cost anything, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

-Calvin