Monsoon - Fenders?

Abhirup Basu

Jun 4, 2014, 6:30:39 AM6/4/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I'm looking for these rear mudguards/fenders: http://www.flipkart.com/btwin-mtb-rear-fender/p/itmdt69qczsddyxb?pid=FENDJVHX3HWHKQHA&otracker=from-search&srno=t_3&query=fender&ref=8995ab1e-1f21-4a3d-a3f4-af37d36653bd

for my Schwinn Frontier which i use for my daily commute. However seems like all online stores are "Out of Stock". Has anyone picked them up recently from a physical store?

anand raman

Jun 4, 2014, 10:07:01 AM6/4/14
to Abhirup Basu, Bangalore Bikers Club
you may find it at a nearby decathlon store.

thanks

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Sreepathi Pai

Jun 4, 2014, 10:30:05 AM6/4/14
to anand raman, Abhirup Basu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Those are not going to protect you.

See if somebody stocks SKS fenders, and get the SKS Longboards if possible.

Yes, they are expensive, but if properly installed will last decades.
Sreepathi Pai

Sanath Kumar S D

Jun 4, 2014, 12:01:59 PM6/4/14
to Abhirup Basu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks and Regards,

Sanath Kumar S D

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Abhirup Basu <kadd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm looking for these rear mudguards/fenders: http://www.flipkart.com/btwin-mtb-rear-fender/p/itmdt69qczsddyxb?pid=FENDJVHX3HWHKQHA&otracker=from-search&srno=t_3&query=fender&ref=8995ab1e-1f21-4a3d-a3f4-af37d36653bd

for my Schwinn Frontier which i use for my daily commute. However seems like all online stores are "Out of Stock". Has anyone picked them up recently from a physical store?

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details
---

Regards,

Sanath
+ 91 988 019 4896

vivek

Jun 5, 2014, 2:18:16 AM6/5/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com, kadd...@gmail.com
Hi Sanath,

When I asked for the metal mudguards at RR cycles he suggested for the plastic ones instead. The pair costed me Rs 650/-. Though it does not provide 100% protection, they are good nevertheless.

@OP: Try once at RR cycles. If you don't find suitable one there other option is this mudguard at Decathlon - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/accessories/mudguards/mudguard-kit/p-244920.htm instead of the one you mentioned.

Btw, has Decathlon started online registrations. I see a 'Create Account' link on their login page. Has anyone tried it? I already have an account, otherwise I'd have tried.

Regards,
Vivek

Ramanan RV

Jun 5, 2014, 2:41:16 AM6/5/14
to vivek, Bangalore Bikers Club, kadd...@gmail.com
+1 to SKS. Have the longboards for a year or so and totally impressed.
 Next option would be to go with the metal ones offered by RR. Would suggest to stay away from the plastic ones.

Karthick Gururaj

Jun 5, 2014, 2:52:29 AM6/5/14
to Ramanan RV, vivek, Bangalore Bikers Club, Abhirup Basu
Just curious - will longboards fit MTBs with front suspension? Or only
for city/hybrids with rigid forks? Also - longboards are for 28"
wheels (700x35 - etc)? Will they be sized right for MTB wheels?

FWIW, I got a set of "MTB fenders" from Madras cycle mart, SP road
(costs Rs. 160/- + Rs. 20/- for the traditional flaps). Fits fine on
my Schwinn Sporterra. I was planning to get longboards, but chickened
out.

- Karthick

Ramanan RV

Jun 5, 2014, 6:08:18 AM6/5/14
to Karthick Gururaj, vivek, Bangalore Bikers Club, Abhirup Basu
They are not designed with MTB's in mind and specific to road-hybrid-rando-touring bikes.
I have it on my 700x35 hybrid wheels. As far as I know there was a longboard model which could fit  700x44-45 too.

Karthick Gururaj

Jun 5, 2014, 6:34:25 AM6/5/14
to Ramanan RV, vivek, Bangalore Bikers Club, Abhirup Basu
Ok - that is what I thought so... The OP was talking about fenders for
Schwinn Frontier, which is an MTB - so he should be aware.
- Karthick

Sreepathi Pai

Jun 5, 2014, 10:37:36 AM6/5/14
to Karthick Gururaj, Ramanan RV, vivek, Bangalore Bikers Club, Abhirup Basu
Longboards were designed with input from the Rivendell people, and
they say it works on 26" as well provided you switch out the long
flaps. They also say it works on 650B (yay!).

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/fe2.htm

This works because they are plastic, I'd guess.
Sreepathi Pai

Abhijit Kshirsagar

Jun 6, 2014, 5:45:08 AM6/6/14
to Karthick Gururaj, Bangalore Bikers Club
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Karthick Gururaj
<karthick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> wheels (700x35 - etc)? Will they be sized right for MTB wheels?

Remember to check if the fender width will accomodate your tires.
Abhijit

Arvind Ganesh

Jun 6, 2014, 12:10:10 PM6/6/14
to Sreepathi Pai, Bangalore Bikers Club
Longboards are available in all sizes now, but I don't think they'll work well with a suspension fork.

-Arvind

Anil Kadsur

Jun 10, 2014, 3:16:22 AM6/10/14
to Arvind Ganesh, Sreepathi Pai, Bangalore Bikers Club
I saw this pic.....is not it really creative and funny too

mudguard.jpg

Ashok Kumar S

Jun 10, 2014, 3:44:45 AM6/10/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Cool.... And need to see if anybody has the guts to put one and ride... :)

Shyam Sundar S Iyer

Jun 10, 2014, 4:04:13 AM6/10/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
I am sure that belongs to Opendro.....ha hhaaa

Opendro

Jun 10, 2014, 4:33:36 AM6/10/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hahaha. I have one from Decathlon and it works pretty well. However, I ride slowly in rain to avoid the splash from the front wheel to the chain and also to the shoes.

Shyam Sundar S Iyer

Jun 10, 2014, 5:25:56 AM6/10/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Opendro with due reverence to your ingenuity and analysis, the previous comment was complementary to you and how I picture you as a Value Engineer of life!

Now with this statement above let me Off Road the thread........

Are there some simple, sure-shot, smart, suttle techniques of cleaning a bike?
Case A- May be after every ride (dry condition)
Case B- and after a rain dirt struck ride

everybody is welcome to put in some best practices here, the best ones will be treated well!

As I have this "One Rule" ....the Rule of the Clean Bike!

Ashok Kumar S

Jun 10, 2014, 6:02:10 AM6/10/14
to Shyam Sundar S Iyer, bangalor...@googlegroups.com
What I do after a wet ride is to take the bike to shower along with me, leave it there to dry till the evening(while I am at work). Do de-greasing in the evening and add some lube.

It doesn't become as great as removing the wheels, cassette, chain etc and cleaning, but is pretty good for the next wet ride next morning...

regards,
Ashok

santosh kumar

Jun 10, 2014, 9:05:28 AM6/10/14
to Ashok Kumar S, BBC, Shyam Sundar S Iyer

I advice against this mud guard - pic attached. Although it works reasonably OK. The clamp breaks pretty often. This is the second set and is just hanging in there. I'm planning to replace them with something better very soon.

IMG_20140610_182925.jpg

Sreepathi Pai

Jun 10, 2014, 10:10:55 AM6/10/14
to Shyam Sundar S Iyer, Bangalore Bikers Club
Wax the bike. You'll be amazed at how quickly it cleans up.

Make sure you're using a wax and not a polish (which has abrasive
components), although many products confuse the naming.

Shyam Sundar S Iyer

Jun 10, 2014, 10:13:06 AM6/10/14
to Sreepathi Pai, Bangalore Bikers Club

Is it Carnuba wax?

Sreepathi Pai

Jun 10, 2014, 10:14:12 AM6/10/14
to Shyam Sundar S Iyer, Bangalore Bikers Club
Something like that, though I've never tried the high-end stuff. I
used to use waxpol.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Shyam Sundar S Iyer
--
Sreepathi Pai

Promise Gangani

Jun 10, 2014, 10:29:08 AM6/10/14
to bangalor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You can use this metal mudguard with 101% protection. Fixed it 2 years back and no issue till now.

Fixed at - RR Cycle, Madhiwala
Cost - 550/-

Rahul

Jun 10, 2014, 10:35:18 AM6/10/14
to Sreepathi Pai, Shyam Sundar S Iyer, Bangalore Bikers Club
Waxing... ? Hmmm
Interesting... Something new for me now...

Sone more details please ( as in wer available, application, etc).

Rahul Raju Dusa

Jun 10, 2014, 10:40:51 AM6/10/14
to Rahul, Bangalore Bikers Club, Sreepathi Pai

Waxing or Teflon coating?
Can any of this create a non sticky and anti greasing surface so that dust and grime and slurry dont stick or stick very loosely

Sreepathi Pai

Jun 10, 2014, 11:32:16 AM6/10/14
to Shyam Sundar S Iyer, Rahul, Bangalore Bikers Club
If you can coat your bike in Teflon, let us know, I'd be very
interested! I'd prefer a clear coat though.

Not a lot of detail, just use ordinary wax as directed on the can.
That usually is applying the wax, waiting for it to dry to a haze and
then buffing it to a shine.

The wax protects the finish, most water just runs off it, and any
grime sticks to the wax and therefore comes off more easily or just
flakes off.

I have mostly steel bikes so I diligently wax to protect the finish
from rust (where paint is chipped off, etc.). For aluminium bikes,
rust is not the issue, but wax can probably help in cleaning up
faster.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Shyam Sundar S Iyer
--
Sreepathi Pai

Shyam Sundar S Iyer

Jun 10, 2014, 11:35:26 AM6/10/14
to Sreepathi Pai, Bangalore Bikers Club, Rahul

Any best practices for Carbon bikes too...the other end of the spectrum must be waiting for some tips....