App: xkcd Viewer

Aaron Rolls

Aug 29, 2019, 10:14:17 PM8/29/19
to banana...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Here is another app that I made. It is a simple xkcd.com viewer for Kai OS with some great features.

Give it a go.

Please add it to the banana hackers store.

Martin Švec

Aug 31, 2019, 5:00:32 PM8/31/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Just tried it out - very nice, thanks!

after pressing goto, a 664 grayed number appears, which apparently does not correspond to the actual comics displayed; is this a bug or a feature?

Is there any way it could be set to display a random one at each startup?

Aaron Rolls

Aug 31, 2019, 9:54:27 PM8/31/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
The gray numbers displaying as 664 is not a feature, nor a bug. Its just a placeholder. In version 0.0.2 (which I currently have on my phone but is not yet uploaded) the gray numbers the input box shows is current comic number that you are on.

As for showing a random comic, that would be very easy to implement. However, finding a place for the button display to go won't be so easy. I'll try to submit 0.0.2 by the end of the day, with the random comic feature included.

Aaron Rolls

Sep 1, 2019, 1:01:17 AM9/1/19
to banana...@googlegroups.com
I just released version 0.0.2 of xkcd viewer!

Changelog for 0.0.2

Bug Fixes:

  • Fixed a bug where if the comic title was too long it would wrap and cover the comic
  • Fixed a bug where the input box would stay focus even when you weren't using it. This caused the back button to miss behave
  • The status bar now has the correct colour

Features:

  • Added a Random Comic feature. You can now view a random xkcd comic
  • Added a feature where the input placeholder now shows the current comic number
  • If the title of the comic is over 24 characters, it will now scroll in a marquee type fashion

Changes:

  • The middle softkey is now the go button
  • The input box is now a "text" type, rather than a "number" type. This is because the Kai OS backspace does not work on number inputs. At least in my version
  • Added an alert to let you know that the input box is now a "text" type

Sylvain D

Sep 1, 2019, 3:32:47 AM9/1/19
to comp.mobile.nokia.8110
Hi Aaron!

Thank you for xkcd viewer! I was looking forward to port this app on our devices and you did it!!
I'll upload this evening on the store, I'm busy now with the Ganesh festival in Paris!

Have a nice day, and keep us updated with improvements!