BA Haskell User Group meeting on February 15, 2012 (Wed)

Ivan Tarasov

Jan 24, 2012, 1:36:12 PM1/24/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

For our February meeting Johan Tibell kindly agreed to make a talk about high performance Haskell.

The meeting place is our usual place in SoMa, kindly provided by Engine Yard:

500 Third Street, Suite 510
San Francisco, CA 94107

Contact phone (mine): 650-762-6644
Host's phone (Larry's): 407-718-7665.

Please arrive a little bit earlier, so that we could start at 7pm sharp.

We may try to set up the video feed through Google Hangout (I will post a public link in my G+ before the meeting starts if we succeed in setting it up), however please don't rely on it and try to visit the meeting in person if possible. If you are going to be joining the hangout, please mute your microphone before you join.

Some people will be going from the South Bay (and probably East Bay) to the meeting and back, so there's a possibility of carpooling. Also, it's very easy to get to Engine Yard from the Caltrain station (4th & King Str) and Embarcadero/Powell BART stations. Please send me a message if you need help figuring out transportation. If you are driving and can take some people from East/South Bay to the meeting and back, please send a message to the baha...@googlegroups.com mailing list.

Please retweet/post to reddit/forward this email to those who may be interested in attending. If you plan to attend and you're not yet subscribed, please subscribe to BAHaskell Google Group to follow all the discussions related to this meeting (if you have troubles with the captcha while joining, please send me a direct email).

Cheers,
Ivan

Drew Haven

Jan 24, 2012, 2:06:06 PM1/24/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Johan gave a quick talk that Stanford Haskell course in the fall on the same topic.  Will this be the same material?  If so, it was a good talk.  If not, I look forward to something new.  Either way I look forward to discussing performance.

Drew Haven
drew....@gmail.com

Johan Tibell

Jan 24, 2012, 2:09:15 PM1/24/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning to reuse some of the material, but I'd prefer if people
ask questions or bring up their own performance problems so we can
have a more open discussions about writing high performance Haskell
code (in a predictable way.)

Rehno Lindeque

Jan 31, 2012, 3:49:11 PM1/31/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I'm visiting the Bay Area from South Africa (where functional programming is as scarce as our food supply - just kidding!). I'd love to join you on the 15th and meet some like-minded people.

Rehno

William Tracy

Feb 1, 2012, 1:24:10 AM2/1/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Just for clarification, is the presentation about optimizing Haskell code, or is it about using Haskell for HPC?

William Tracy
afish...@gmail.com
Cell phone: (805) 704-0917
Internet phone: (707) 206-6441

Johan Tibell

Feb 1, 2012, 4:54:25 AM2/1/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com

It's about optimizing Haskell code.

baguasquirrel

Feb 14, 2012, 12:34:22 PM2/14/12
to Bay Area Haskell Users Group
Just wanted to confirm, this is tomorrow right? I'd thought that we
usually met on the third Wednesday of the month.

On Feb 1, 1:54 am, Johan Tibell <johan.tib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's about optimizing Haskell code.
> On Jan 31, 2012 10:24 PM, "William Tracy" <afishion...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Just for clarification, is the presentation about optimizing Haskell code,
> > or is it about using Haskell for HPC?
>
> > William Tracy
> > afishion...@gmail.com

Johan Tibell

Feb 14, 2012, 1:12:57 PM2/14/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM, baguasquirrel <baguas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just wanted to confirm, this is tomorrow right? I'd thought that we
usually met on the third Wednesday of the month.

Yes.

Ivan Tarasov

Feb 14, 2012, 2:22:00 PM2/14/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Technically it's the third Wednesday of the month tomorrow (the first two were the 1st and the 8th of February), so yes, we are meeting tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ivan

Issac Trotts

Feb 15, 2012, 11:49:52 AM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
We're meeting at 7pm at the Engine Yard in SF, correct?

Ivan Tarasov

Feb 15, 2012, 1:15:17 PM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
That's correct.

Evan Laforge

Feb 15, 2012, 5:41:13 PM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Anyone driving up from the south bay? I may just take a google
shuttle up, but if someone else is coming by and it's convenient then
that would be nice too.

Johan Tibell

Feb 15, 2012, 7:55:52 PM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
I'm taking the 5:05pm shuttle to 4th & kings

Bryce Verdier

Feb 15, 2012, 8:00:36 PM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Would it be possible for a non-google employee to take the shuttle back down? That would save me time on the train (and maybe allow me to hangout longer than 8:10 or so).

Bryce

Evan Laforge

Feb 15, 2012, 8:03:38 PM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately no, but it probably doesn't matter since the shuttles
don't go back down at night (well, I'm sure they do, but I don't think
they pick up).

But there are people driving back down, ask around, you can probably
get a ride to the south bay. I know Zaki is going back down, for one.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Bryce Verdier <brycev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible for a non-google employee to take the shuttle back down? That would save me time on the train (and maybe allow me to hangout longer than 8:10 or so).
>
> Bryce
> On Feb 15, 2012, at 4:55 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:
>
>> I'm taking the 5:05pm shuttle to 4th & kings

Isn't that 5:10 to SOMA? Maybe there are different one. Anyway, see
you there :)

Johan Tibell

Feb 15, 2012, 8:05:35 PM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com

I don't think there are shuttles back from SF to South Bay. In either case they're employees only.

Johan Tibell

Feb 15, 2012, 8:09:00 PM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Evan Laforge <qdu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't that 5:10 to SOMA?  Maybe there are different one.  Anyway, see
> you there :)

It's 5:05 from my building. Anyway, see you there.

William Tracy

Feb 15, 2012, 10:50:28 PM2/15/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Well, at the last minute I couldn't attend. :-(

Any chance some slides and/or notes will get put online?

William Tracy
afish...@gmail.com

Ivan Tarasov

Feb 16, 2012, 2:42:46 AM2/16/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Johan has his slides here: http://johantibell.com/files/haskell-performance-patterns.html

I tried to do the hangout thing, but something didn't quite work with Google Plus today, also the wifi was dropping at EY, so I turned it off.

Ivan

William Tracy

Feb 16, 2012, 3:53:56 AM2/16/12
to baha...@googlegroups.com
Wow, looking at these slides, I wish I had gone. Very cool stuff!

William Tracy
afish...@gmail.com
Cell phone: (805) 704-0917
Internet phone: (707) 206-6441